What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » video card problem

Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
video card problem
Author: Message:
- keef

34 / Male / –
O.P. RE: video card problem
how can you check ur BIOS settings?

This post was edited on 06-04-2006 at 06:52 PM by - keef.
The more u study
the more u know
The more u know
the more u forget
The more u forget
The less u know
So why study!?

[Image: mp2logo.jpg]
06-04-2006 06:52 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Adeptus

RE: video card problem
quote:
Originally posted by keef
For some reason some of the games i've tried on my comp somtimes freezes for 15 secs then goes normal agian. Then it freezes agian. But there's sound when it freezes.
This sounds like exactly what happens when modern graphics cards overheat.  Open up the computer, turn it on, and check the graphics card fan.  I will be surprised if you find it spinning.

Excessive dust and hairballs inside your computer can cause cooling problems too, so if you find it very dusty, get a can of compressed air and blow it out.
06-04-2006 09:07 PM
- keef

34 / Male / –
can i use a vacum to suck the dirt?
The more u study
the more u know
The more u know
the more u forget
The more u forget
The less u know
So why study!?

06-04-2006 09:22 PM
Adeptus

Vacuums don't work very well for this.  Part of the problem is that the hoses are too large, you can't get very close without touching things and risking mechanical damage, and the suction is pretty weak.  If you think your computer needs blowing out, just get one of these:
[Image: B00006I58S.01-A1NDBS7YGOPBD6._AA280_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg]

I would start by checking the GPU fan, though.  It's very common for the small fans used on graphics cards to seize up and that's a bigger problem than dust.
06-04-2006 10:29 PM
- keef

34 / Male / –
hm..thanks. what are these called?
The more u study
the more u know
The more u know
the more u forget
The more u forget
The less u know
So why study!?

06-04-2006 10:37 PM
Voldemort
Veteran Member

– / – / Flag
Duster... compressed air can, air can, etc... they are sold in big markets with electronics department and electronics stores...[walmart, bestbuy... etc...]
*All posts are a purely speculative hypothesis based on abstract reasoning.
Not my daughter, you bitch!
[Image: ico-mollytrix16.gif]
06-04-2006 10:43 PM
- keef

34 / Male / –
ok. now i gotta new problem. i bought the duster and now my computer is dust free. when i hooked the computer back up i was looking at my video card to see if it was moving, but i found out that it wasn't. Also, when i touched it it was preatty hot. Any ideas?
The more u study
the more u know
The more u know
the more u forget
The more u forget
The less u know
So why study!?

06-10-2006 07:24 AM
Adeptus

quote:
Originally posted by keef
i bought the duster and now my computer is dust free. when i hooked the computer back up i was looking at my video card to see if it was moving, but i found out that it wasn't. Also, when i touched it it was preatty hot.
I assume you mean the fan and that it doesn't spin.  Which is what I suspected (and suggested to you) all along.

The only long term solution is replacement.  It is usually not possible to replace just the fan, so you will be looking at replacing the entire GPU cooler assembly (the fan as well as the heatsink) with a third party one.  The good news is that many of the third party coolers deliver either better cooling or quieter cooling, or both.

You didn't mention what card you have.  These guys make high end, quiet coolers for just about all of them, although note that these take up the slot next to the graphics card and that could be a problem in a system with all card slots used.

If you would prefer something more conventional, more like the stock cooler, the Vantec Iceberq comes in two sizes that cover most modern graphics cards.  Unlike the more elaborate kinds, these are frequently carried by local computer retailers.

The usual problem with fans is that the cheap sleeve bearings have seized up.  You can tell that is the case by trying to turn the fan rotor with your fingers -- if it doesn't turn freely, it may be worth trying to lubricate it as a short term solution. 

The bearings are under the fan and hard to get to, but you can try to get a liberal amount of WD-40 or some mineral oil in there, while turning the blades back and forth with your fingers.  You will know it got to the right place when the fan starts to turn freely.  If it still doesn't work when powered up, then it probably has burned out and there is no temporary fix for that.

In either case, it still should be replaced ASAP.  The benefits of lubrication do not last very long.
06-11-2006 10:41 PM
Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: