What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Homepage/IE7/Registry Problem

Homepage/IE7/Registry Problem
Author: Message:
djdannyp
Elite Member

Danny <3 Sarah

37 / Male / Flag
O.P. Homepage/IE7/Registry Problem
Okay......let me tell you a story.

On Monday I decided it was time to reformat my computer, etc.  I'd been away from it at Uni for a while and so hadn't got round to it.

When Windows was done installing (only an SP1 copy, then updated to SP2 using Microsoft's exe........totally legal) i installed IE7 Beta 2 (which i'd had working on this machine before and also on my laptop) and after installing a few other things I went to change the IE homepage, but it kept defaulting back to http://uk.msn.com   After a bit of searching around I traced this to a registry key in Software->Microsoft->Internet Explorer->Main....and in particular the key "Start Page"  If youi try to edit this key in the registry it tells you that it can't be modified, even when the permissions are set so that my account has full registry control.

So I decided to reformat again......this time I changed my IE homepage straight away after loading Windows & SP2......but then a bit later when I came to load IE7 Beta 2 it refused, saying that the installation couldn't be completed.  I ran a registry checker programme which Microsoft suggests using to check the permissions of the keys that setup needs to alter, and sure enough it showed me in the log that "Start Page" was once again a problem, and now sure enough I can't change my homepage (not that I want to, as it's set to what i want, but it just proves that the same problem has occurred).

I then went to my laptop to try changing the homepage on there (IE 7 Beta 2 installed) and it does let me change the page.

I did (sorta) install IE7 Beta 2 by booting into safe mode and installing it, so it runs, but not entirely properly (when downloading a file the logo still shows as the old IE6 one) and if for the Start Menu i tell it to display "Internet Explorer" at the top of the first window (above recent programmes) it shows the old logo as well.

Gonna do a test later today on my mate's laptop, he just got a new one by Acer and can't change his homepage cos it's locked to acer.......i checked that same registry key and tried to alter it, checked permissions, etc, but no luck.......gonna see if IE 7 Beta 2 will install on his, or if it spews out that same error......i'll report back what happens.

Has anyone experienced this problem, or similar problems, or found a solution?

Thanks  :)
[Image: 1ftt0hpk-signature.png]
AutoStatus Script || Facebook Status Script
5206 days, 23 hours, 14 minutes, 34 seconds ago
06-23-2006 10:46 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
ayjay

– / Male / Flag
RE: Homepage/IE7/Registry Problem
Well this doesn't really help but just to let you know I have an Acer laptop which came set with the default homepage to Acer but I could change completely fine without going into the registry etc.
06-23-2006 11:41 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
rav0
Veteran Member

i have an avatar

34 / Male / Flag
RE: Homepage/IE7/Registry Problem
quote:
Originally posted by djdannyp
if for the Start Menu i tell it to display "Internet Explorer" at the top of the first window (above recent programmes) it shows the old logo
I have internet Explorer 7 Beta 2 working properly, but the old logo was displaying (which I thought was normal). I've just rebuilt the icon cache, and it's showing the new icon now.

I've once had a problem with registry permissions, user accounts were completely borked, and I couldn't find a solution (with a lot of research), other than fresh install (which you are probably sick of).
| [Image: dorsh] |

(\ /)
(O.o)
(> <)

This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination
06-23-2006 11:56 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
djdannyp
Elite Member

Danny <3 Sarah

37 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: RE: Homepage/IE7/Registry Problem
quote:
Originally posted by rav0
quote:
if for the Start Menu i tell it to display "Internet Explorer" at the top of the first window (above recent programmes) it shows the old logo
I have internet Explorer 7 Beta 2 working properly, but the old logo was displaying (which I thought was normal). I've just rebuilt the icon cache, and it's showing the new icon now.

I've once had a problem with registry permissions, user accounts were completely borked, and I couldn't find a solution (with a lot of research), other than fresh install (which you are probably sick of).

how do u rebuild icon cache?  cos that might at least hide the fact that i have a problem, lol.

i might wait and see what happens when IE7 is released properly, or depending on how i'm feeling i might do another rebuild towards the end of the summer once I have a new WinXP install disc (getting a new laptop at the end of the summer)
06-23-2006 11:59 AM
rav0
Veteran Member

i have an avatar

34 / Male / Flag
RE: RE: RE: Homepage/IE7/Registry Problem
quote:
how do u rebuild icon cache?
I don't think that there is process in Windows to do it. I used the repair page in Tweak UI to do it. Many icon-related programs also allow you to rebuild the icon cache.
| [Image: dorsh] |

(\ /)
(O.o)
(> <)

This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination
06-23-2006 11:20 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
djdannyp
Elite Member

Danny <3 Sarah

37 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Homepage/IE7/Registry Problem
thanks for that advice rav0, rebuilding the icon cache worked a treat, i now get IE 7 icons everywhere, including on downloads which makes me very happy (i'm a pedantic person and it just didn't feel right before)

doesn't technically solve the underlying problem, but this way i can live with it, who knows, maybe the full release of IE7 will solve it, or if not i can just install via safe mode again :)

if anyone can provide further help then that'd be great, but if not then i can live with it like this
06-24-2006 10:05 AM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: