What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » When clicking the "Restart Later" I want it to leave me alone-Automatic Updates Help

When clicking the "Restart Later" I want it to leave me alone-Automatic Updates Help
Author: Message:
prashker
Veteran Member

– / Male / –
O.P. When clicking the "Restart Later" I want it to leave me alone-Automatic Updates Help
I posted this in IRC but noone helped :P

<SonicSam> how can I have in the "Automatic Updates - Updating your computer is almost complete. You must restart your computer for the updates to take effect. Do you want to restard your computer now?" so that When I click Restart Later it won't show the little icon in the notification tray?

I already disabled the automatic restart using the help from here.
http://www.aviransplace.com/index.php/archives/20...in-windows-update/

But still (that page was not supposed to do this) the Automatic Updates window  bothers me (just dosen't auto restart anymore :P).....what I want to be able to do is to click the "Restart Later" button and it will leave me alone till I restart instead of going back to the notification tray and pop back up saying to restart 5 minutes later for me to click Restart Later again :P

Anybody help?

Thanks,
SonicSam

[Image: attachment.php?pid=672318]

.png File Attachment: untitled.PNG (13.02 KB)
This file has been downloaded 381 time(s).
06-24-2006 11:45 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Felu
Veteran Member

29 / Male / Flag
RE: When clicking the "Restart Later" I want it to leave me alone-Automatic Updates H
Errr.... the topic says Tip: Disable Auto Restart in Windows Update not to stop it from promoting to restart. So i think that this should be normal to be displayed. :P

Note : Auto restart means that restarting without your concern.

This post was edited on 06-24-2006 at 01:00 PM by Felu.
06-24-2006 12:58 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
prashker
Veteran Member

– / Male / –
O.P. RE: When clicking the "Restart Later" I want it to leave me alone-Automatic Updates H
quote:
Originally posted by -!Felu!-
Errr.... the topic says Tip: Disable Auto Restart in Windows Update not to stop it from promoting to restart. So i think that this should be normal to be displayed. :P

I know...but if you read my question clearly :P

quote:
Originally posted by SonicSam
But still (that page was not supposed to do this) the Automatic Updates window  bothers me (just dosen't auto restart anymore (Smilie)).....what I want to be able to do is to click the "Restart Later" button and it will leave me alone till I restart instead of going back to the notification tray and pop back up saying to restart 5 minutes later for me to click Restart Later again (Smilie)

question in italics :P

This post was edited on 06-24-2006 at 01:01 PM by prashker.
06-24-2006 01:00 PM
Felu
Veteran Member

29 / Male / Flag
RE: When clicking the "Restart Later" I want it to leave me alone-Automatic Updates Help
:$ How about disalbing auto-updates? Just get them when your free?
06-24-2006 01:03 PM
prashker
Veteran Member

– / Male / –
O.P. RE: When clicking the "Restart Later" I want it to leave me alone-Automatic Updates Help
quote:
:$ How about disalbing auto-updates? Just get them when your free?

I could do that but there must be a way to shut the window up once you click Restart Later.....

* prashker hopes TReKiE comes home :(
06-24-2006 01:04 PM
Zephyr

monster.rat

34 / Male / Flag
RE: When clicking the "Restart Later" I want it to leave me alone-Automatic Updates Help
This link may come in useful, i haven't treid it myself thought, yet.

XP Automatic Update Nagging
[Image: rhcpsig38tj.png]
06-24-2006 01:18 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
prashker
Veteran Member

– / Male / –
O.P. RE: When clicking the "Restart Later" I want it to leave me alone-Automatic Updates Help
quote:
Originally posted by Zephyr
This link may come in useful, i haven't treid it myself thought, yet.

XP Automatic Update Nagging

Option 1 completly disables Automatic Updates :P...which I don't want ....I just want the window to shut up if I click Restart Later

Option 2 on that page I have already done....as said in first post :)
06-24-2006 01:37 PM
Felu
Veteran Member

29 / Male / Flag
RE: When clicking the "Restart Later" I want it to leave me alone-Automatic Updates H
Ahh.... Solution found :cheesy:

Press Windows-R. Type “servicres.msc” in the box and press Enter. Scroll down the list that appears to the item “Automatic Updates”. Right-click that item and choose “Stop”. All done. No more notice.

When you do eventually reboot (at your lesiure), the service will restart so that you’ll be informed of future updates. But you won’t be annoyed for the rest of the session.

OR

Press Windows-R, type “net stop wuauserv” in the box and press Enter. Done! A cool side effect is that next time you want to do this, the command will be in the autocomplete dropdown of the Run box!

Both methods give the same output
06-24-2006 01:53 PM
prashker
Veteran Member

– / Male / –
O.P. RE: RE: When clicking the "Restart Later" I want it to leave me alone-Automatic Updat
quote:
Ahh.... Solution found :cheesy:

Press Windows-R. Type “servicres.msc” in the box and press Enter. Scroll down the list that appears to the item “Automatic Updates”. Right-click that item and choose “Stop”. All done. No more notice.

When you do eventually reboot (at your lesiure), the service will restart so that you’ll be informed of future updates. But you won’t be annoyed for the rest of the session.

OR

Press Windows-R, type “net stop wuauserv” in the box and press Enter. Done! A cool side effect is that next time you want to do this, the command will be in the autocomplete dropdown of the Run box!

Both methods give the same output

quote:
Originally posted by SonicSam
completly disables Automatic Updates ...which I don't want ....I just want the window to shut up if I click Restart Later

edit: for people who say to do the

Re-prompt for restart with scheduled installations to a long time interval, like 1440 minutes.

the max is 1440 so thats too short :P

This post was edited on 06-24-2006 at 02:04 PM by prashker.
06-24-2006 01:56 PM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: