What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » Scripting » [Release] Background Changer

Pages: (7): « First « 2 3 4 5 [ 6 ] 7 » Last »
[Release] Background Changer
Author: Message:
hollywoodnorth

RE: [Release] Background Changer
the background changer was working perfectly fine for me, until half an hour ago I decided to change the background.

Then I changed back but the picture never changed!
I disabled and enabled the script. didn't work.
so I tried removing and reinstalling it. Still didn't work.

Now the ( ... ) button doesn't work. The file browser doesn't pop up anymore and the command " /change bg " doesn't work on me!

help!
thanks
11-12-2009 08:11 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by hollywoodnorth
the background changer was working perfectly fine for me, until half an hour ago I decided to change the background.

The script is not responsible for the picture to be seen or not. You don't need this script to view the background. In fact, you even don't need this script to set your background. So enabling/disabling or even reinstalling the script hasn't got any influence on the background in any way.

The script simply provides a more convenient way to copy your choosen background to a file named lvback.gif, which is in your Messenger folder. That's all.

What the script should do is closing and re-opening your contact list. Did it do that?

And what do you mean by "but the picture never changed"? Do you still have the previous picture visible? Or isn't there a picture at all? Do you have skins installed?

quote:
Now the ( ... ) button doesn't work. The file browser doesn't pop up anymore
If it did pop up before and now it doesn't, and you have not upgraded to Vista or something, it means something else is wrong with your computer as nothing significant has changed in the script regarding this.

What is the debug output of the script?
Plus! > Show script debugging > Background Changer

quote:
and the command " /change bg " doesn't work on me!
The command is "/changebg", without the space.

Either you use it without a parameter to get the interface window: /changebg
Or either you directly set a file name as parameter: /changebg C:\mybackground.jpg

----

As said above, you can always manually do what the script does: copy your choosen background to the Messenger installation folder and name the image "lvback.gif", then close and re-open your contact list.

Of course, make always sure the choosen image is a valid image. The script does not check upon that.

Note: the file must be named "lvback.gif", thus not "lvback.jpg" or something. The 'gif' file extension is important, eventhough the file itself doesn't need to be in the gif format necessarily, any supported format will do.

This post was edited on 02-20-2010 at 12:43 AM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
11-12-2009 11:00 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
hollywoodnorth

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
quote:

The script is not responsible for the picture to be seen or not. You don't need this script to view the background. In fact, you even don't need this script to set your background. So enabling/disabling or even reinstalling the script hasn't got any influence on the background in any way.

The script simply provides a more convenient way to copy your choosen background to a file named lvback.gif, which is in your Messenger folder. That's all.

What the script should do is closing and re-opening your contact list. Did it do that?

And what do you mean by "but the picture never changed"? Do you still have the previous picture visible? Or isn't there a picture at all? Do you have skins installed?

quote:
Now the ( ... ) button doesn't work. The file browser doesn't pop up anymore
If it did pop up before and now it doesn't, and you have not upgraded to Vista or something, it means something else is wrong with your computer as nothing significant has changed in the script regarding this.

What is the debug output of the script?
Plus! > Show script debugging > Background Changer

quote:
and the command " /change bg " doesn't work on me!
The command is "/changebg", without the space.

Either you use it without a parameter to get the interface window: /changebg
Or either you directly set a file name as parameter: /changebg C:\mybackground.jpg

----

As said above, you can always manually do what the script does: copy your choosen background to the Messenger installation folder and name the image "lvback.gif", then close and re-open your contact list.

Of course, make always sure the choosen image is a valid image. The script does not check upon that.

Note: the file must be named "lvback.gif", thus not "lvback.jpg" or something. The 'gif' extension is important.

Before, it would close and reopen but the image would stay the same. I exited messenger and opened it, then this time the file browser doesn't pop up anymore.
I just tried the " /changebg C:\mybackground.jpg " and it works fine.
Its just the file browser that doesn't pop up whenever I use the interface window.
11-12-2009 11:35 PM
davezero

cool, ty
11-16-2009 11:06 PM
Chris4
Elite Member

32 / Male / Flag
Currently skinning isn't active, so this script would be the perfect alternative to suggest to users; however the browse button isn't working.

Here's the debugging log:

quote:
Error:  (code: -2147221230)
       File: Background.js. Line: 93.
Function OnWndBackgroundEvent_CtrlClicked returned an error. Code: -2147352318

Hoping that Veggie/CookieRevised can fix the bug and submit it to the Scripts Database, or alternatively someone release a modified version on the forum which us helpers can link to. :happy:

This post was edited on 02-20-2010 at 12:19 AM by Chris4.
Twitter: @ChrisLozeau
02-20-2010 12:15 AM
Veggie

37 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: [Release] Background Changer
will have a look this evening
02-20-2010 11:10 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
A new version has been submitted to the database. In the new version you can use the file browse dialog again on Vista/7 in all circumstances.

However, note that in order to let this script work you also need to have writing permissions for the Windows Live Messenger installation map. And on systems like Vista and Win7 this is often not the case by default. So if you get an "An error occured while setting the background", check your permissions for that folder!

quote:
Originally posted by Chris4
or alternatively someone release a modified version on the forum which us helpers can link to. :happy:
Please do not. If there are problems there are other ways for the 'helpers' to help the people: eg: tell them how to manually change the background. This is explained many times on the forums already (search for lvback.gif)

This post was edited on 02-20-2010 at 08:30 PM by CookieRevised.
02-20-2010 08:28 PM
Chris4
Elite Member

32 / Male / Flag
RE: RE: [Release] Background Changer
quote:
quote:
or alternatively someone release a modified version on the forum which us helpers can link to. :happy:
Please do not. If there are problems there are other ways for the 'helpers' to help the people: eg: tell them how to manually change the background. This is explained many times on the forums already (search for lvback.gif)

Fair enough. Was just a last alternative if you/Veggie didn't reply or couldn't do it.

Thanks for the update.

This post was edited on 02-25-2010 at 03:23 PM by Chris4.
Twitter: @ChrisLozeau
02-25-2010 03:21 PM
kaamos

2.4 Doesn't work for me.
[...] Button doesn't open file explorer.

1.0 Works fine.
Any reason?

Thank you!! 
[Image: veronica27iibv0.gif]
02-26-2010 07:05 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by kaamos
2.4 Doesn't work for me.
[...] Button doesn't open file explorer.
Yup, we know. This is what has been reported before. It's because Vista/7 doesn't support the traditionally used ActiveX objects anymore and for the alternative ActiveX objects you need a design license (which you would have if you have stuff like MS Office installed). So it wont work for everybody; it's just a temporary fix.

Wait until the new version 2.5 is downloadable from the database. It will fix this permanently.

-------------

quote:
quote:
quote:
Fair enough. Was just a last alternative if you/Veggie didn't reply or couldn't do it.
The last resort/alternative should be telling people how to change their background by manually copying their image over lvback.gif as explained in many posts on the forums. It is easy enough. ;)

This post was edited on 02-26-2010 at 07:28 PM by CookieRevised.
02-26-2010 07:13 PM
Pages: (7): « First « 2 3 4 5 [ 6 ] 7 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: