What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! Help » Problem importing Plus! Preferences into WLM Plus!

Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
Problem importing Plus! Preferences into WLM Plus!
Author: Message:
alegator

O.P. Huh?  Problem importing Plus! Preferences into WLM Plus!
I upgraded Messenger from v7.5.0322 to WLM 8.0.0792 and accordingly I updated Plus! from the old Plus! to Live Plus!. Before doing this I exported my Plus! preferences from v7.5.0322 and imported them into WLM. Problem is that WLM Plus! displays a message saying that it can't import users' preferences generated by an older Plus! version. Does this mean I will need to manually rename all contacts that I renamed using the old Plus!?? :(
06-25-2006 02:16 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Mnjul
forum super mod

plz wub me

– / Other / Flag
RE: Problem importing Plus! Preferences into WLM Plus!
Hello alegator,

I'm sorry to inform you that Messenger Plus! Live does not have built-in custom names feature (to avoid redundancy, since WLM has the same feature). So, your old custom names from old Plus! 3.6 will not be imported to WLM (Plus! currently is unable to do so). :)

This post was edited on 06-25-2006 at 02:18 AM by Mnjul.
06-25-2006 02:18 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Mentality

The Best Representation OF me IS ME!

38 / Male / Flag
Cstom names is no loner a feature in MsgPlusLive since WLM already has it - it may be put back into a future version we don't know for sure yet though so don't count on it.

Again this is already built into WLM

The reason it might come back is because the WLM stops you being able to view what a person acually has set as their display name in the actual conversation window - and alot of people are not happy with this.

[update] Damn Mnjul you beat me again lol

This post was edited on 06-25-2006 at 02:20 AM by Mentality.
06-25-2006 02:18 AM
alegator

O.P. RE: Problem importing Plus! Preferences into WLM Plus!
Oops! That's bad news!! Now I will have to reinstall old MSN and Plus! to write the contact's  custom names and then reinstall WLM and Live Plus! and manually enter them...what a pain in the ___!!!!! 
06-25-2006 02:23 AM
Mentality

The Best Representation OF me IS ME!

38 / Male / Flag
Unlucky matey - Have fun :P
06-25-2006 02:24 AM
cartera

can i view the exported saved preferences of an older version in anyway? i need this cos i need to view the names in order to rename the users in WLM.

thanks
06-25-2006 09:29 AM
alegator

O.P. RE: Problem importing Plus! Preferences into WLM Plus!
Went back to MSN v7.5.0322, simply not worth the effort. I will wait for a WLM Plus! version that will include restoring ALL preferences from previous Messenger Plus! versions to avoid having to manuallly re enter hundreds of nicks+data into WLM.
06-25-2006 05:15 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: RE: Problem importing Plus! Preferences into WLM Plus!
quote:
Originally posted by cartera
can i view the exported saved preferences of an older version in anyway?
No

As stated in this thread also. Exported Preference Files are not compatible between Plus!Live and Plus!3. This is simply because most settings are totally different...

However. The first time you install Plus!Live, your old settings will be ported automatically to Plus!Live as far as that is possible (again, as not all settings are the same). Since their isn't a Custom Name Feature yet in Plus!Live, your custom names will not be ported over.

However, as soon as the Custom Name Feature is introduced back in Plus!Live, you could do the following:

1) Make a backup of your preferences of your currently installed Plus!Live version.
2) Uninstall Plus!Live and tick the option to also remove all your settings,
3) Install the new versiono of Plus!Live. If things are good, it will again port all the settings you had from Plus!3, hopefully including custom names.
4) Import back the preference file you've made in point 1 and import all the settings back

But this also means that in the mean time you should not remove the settings of Plus!3 (unless you also have a backup of those preferences, but then again, you still need to install Plus!3 in that case to put those settings back in the registry before starting the above method).

quote:
Originally posted by cartera
i need this cos i need to view the names in order to rename the users in WLM.
If you haven't removed Plus!3 yet, or you uninstalled while you kept the settings, you can view the custom names in the registry. But note that the contact emails are encrypted, so it might not be that usefull:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Patchou\MsgPlus2\<.NET Passport>\Contacts

This post was edited on 06-25-2006 at 09:19 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
06-25-2006 09:17 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
kaiconan

– / Male / Flag
Problem importing Plus! Preferences into WLM Plus!
I am really sorry to know that Messenger Plus! Live Dont support "Rename" any more.

But would like to ask MSG Plus! makes some kind program which can print out or export rename for a list so that the people trans to MSG Plus! Live and WLM.

'coz many people like me has more then a hundred people contact list, This will be a big problme to us.

I believe that in that way the user of older ver of MSG Plus! can easier upgrade to New Ver of MSG or WLM.
[Image: SignatureV2.gif]
06-25-2006 09:42 PM
Daniboy100

Any one knows if Messenger Plus Live will have this function in the near future?
06-26-2006 10:13 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: