What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! General » MsgPlus! Patch policy?

Pages: (3): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 » Last »
MsgPlus! Patch policy?
Author: Message:
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: MsgPlus! Patch policy?
quote:
Originally posted by NeuralTransmitter
I have a question regarding the fact weither Patchou's policy for tweaks/features that require a patch of the Live messenger.

I have found how to bring back the small dp in the contact list, and I would be happy to submit it to the plus! software as an option.

So, what is the policy to this end?
It depends...

You better ask him personally (I'll PM the mail address)

But remember, there are already extremely many patches which change one thing to another, remove something or add something, just like yours. If one of such thing is added, it would be almost political correct that others are added too. And that simply can't be done.

Also, I think, everybody wants their patches to be included if possible....

And it's not because a handfull of people want to see the DPs in the contactlist again that it would be something liked by millions of people (if that was the case I'm sure MS wouldn't had remove that feature).

IMHO, it is better if you simply release this patch yourself or talk to the creators of MessPatch or A-Patch, they too would be more than happy to include this into their patchprogram.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
06-26-2006 07:10 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
NeuralTransmitter

Plus! rules

41 / Male / –
O.P. RE: MsgPlus! Patch policy?
thanks for your clear answer! I will soon submit the patch through mess.be.
06-26-2006 11:51 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
bugmenot

RE: RE: MsgPlus! Patch policy?
quote:

It would be nice if msg plus! Live included MessPatch. All it would need to do is install the exe someplace, and add a button labeled something like "more customisations" to the settings window. Mess patch takes care of exiting Messenger and restaring it when finished, so that is not a problem.

The fact that MessPatch includes a "patchou" profile implies that patchou does indeed support and even use that patcher.

So this is not as unlikly as it might seem.
06-28-2006 07:47 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by bugmenot
It would be nice if msg plus! Live included MessPatch. All it would need to do is install the exe someplace, and add a button labeled something like "more customisations" to the settings window. Mess patch takes care of exiting Messenger and restaring it when finished, so that is not a problem.

The fact that MessPatch includes a "patchou" profile implies that patchou does indeed support and even use that patcher.

Plus! will never include exe's like that (appart from the optional sponsor). Also what messpatch does is something totally different than what Plus! does and how it does it.

Also, Plus! would become very bloated if it was included. Not to mention that some patches can cause many troubles (for Plus! and other addons).

And not everybody uses those patches anyways.

And why wouldn't A-Patch be included then, or patch x, or patch y, etc... etc...

It is very doubtfull that this well ever be done.
06-28-2006 08:23 PM
Graventhorp

39 / Male / –
quote:

I think I PMed you about it, but where is this patch? I can't find it in mess.be and I'm really interested in it.
06-28-2006 08:42 PM
bugmenot

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
quote:

Plus! will never include exe's like that (appart from the optional sponsor). Also what messpatch does is something totally different than what Plus! does and how it does it.

Also, Plus! would become very bloated if it was included. Not to mention that some patches can cause many troubles (for Plus! and other addons).

And not everybody uses those patches anyways.

And why wouldn't A-Patch be included then, or patch x, or patch y, etc... etc...

It is very doubtfull that this well ever be done.

Well, it would be usefull. Yes I realize that thy do not work in the same way. That is part of the reason why The patch programs can do things that Msg Plus does not offer. Plus! live contains 3 exe's written by Patchou.

Boated? Plus! live is over 6MB. MessPatch is 300KB.
The difference would hardly be noticable.

It woud make sense to only include one patching utility.
I chose MessPatch as it is the one I am familar with, and is generally around as complete as A-Patch.

Also, while you are right that not everybody uses he paches, there are ome tha are very nice. For example removing the "billing information" menu item, that has nothing to do with billing, but is instead contains links to worthless premium services.

Other nice features are the removal of the ads, the increase in the maximum size of personal messages, and a few other features that have general interest.

Currently A-patch appears to have very few feaures not found in mess patch.
Indeed there was not a single feaure in A-patch that I wanted that was not in Messpatch, but the reverse is not true.

This post was edited on 06-28-2006 at 11:11 PM by bugmenot.
06-28-2006 09:55 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
while you are right that not everybody uses he paches, there are ome tha are very nice. For example removing the "billing information" menu item, that has nothing to do with billing, but is instead contains links to worthless premium services.

Other nice features are the removal of the ads, the increase in the maximum size of personal messages, and a few other features that have general interest.
both kind of things which Patchou wont include (in fact he removed the ad removal feature) because he wouldn't want to comprimise the good relationship between him and MS. more here in that sticky thread: 'MSN advertisement banner' removal
06-29-2006 08:54 AM
bugmenot

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
quote:
while you are right that not everybody uses he paches, there are ome tha are very nice. For example removing the "billing information" menu item, that has nothing to do with billing, but is instead contains links to worthless premium services.

both kind of things which Patchou wont include (in fact he removed the ad removal feature) because he wouldn't want to comprimise the good relationship between him and MS. more here in that sticky thread: 'MSN advertisement banner' removal

Well The problem with that theroy is that Microsoft not only does not need to make any money on Messenger, but that they make very little anyway. Virtually nobody clicks on the ads down there. Generally they are just a pain, waisting screen space. Heck, that applies to damn near all of Messenger 8.

Messenger 7 was awful  wihout patching, and Messenger 8 is al but unusable without extensive patching.

I would figure that Patchou would appreciate the benefts that patching can bring, but perhaps I am wrong.
06-29-2006 06:58 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: RE: RE: MsgPlus! Patch policy?
quote:
Well The problem with that theroy is that Microsoft not only does not need to make any money on Messenger
Think again.
quote:
(...) but that they make very little anyway.
How would you know?
quote:
Virtually nobody clicks on the ads down there.
Maybe people don't even need to, it's called selling advertisement space...
06-29-2006 10:11 PM
ZrednaZ

37 / Male / Flag
I think it's fundamentally a nice idea - including a patcher that would remain passive until called by the Plus! user. The only problem is of course - as you mention, Cookie - Patchou's relationship with Microsoft. And I understand why he doesn't take this lightly as Microsoft have the ability to shut down Patchou's little business if they desire. Regarding this, I'm sure the patch creators would be willing to write a stipped-down version to be included with Plus - one that included everything except ad removal.

Then again, what's the point in including a stand-alone patcher in the first place if it can't even remove the advertisements.. hehe
No, I didn't search before
posting. Don't bother asking.
06-30-2006 12:04 AM
Pages: (3): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: