What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Wireless Network Problem

Wireless Network Problem
Author: Message:
Anubis
Elite Member

33 / Male / Flag
O.P. Wireless Network Problem
This problem has bugged me for a while. We have two computers on a wireless network connected to a router (which also is connected to the internet).

Computer A connects to the network without problems, when I shut the computer down and start it back up it works fine. Then as usual connects to the network. I can do this over and over again, without a hitch.

However Computer B has many more bugs. I can connect to the network the first time I start up the computer, but then after a shutdown, 90% of the time afterwards it tells me it has connected but will not communicate with other parts of the network properly (for example I can't even ping the router), then it disconnects and reconnects over and over again, however even in the brief intervals it has "connected" no activity happens between itself and the router, so I can't access the internet or any network resource.
The Belkin tool is still able to give information on the connection signal, and in the 10 seconds the computer connects the signal is usually between -55 to -70dBm, with low noise, which is very good for a wireless network, so I doubt signal and distance are a factor. However Computer B is further away from the router than Computer A, because the signal is so strong I doubt that is the cause.

The only way to get computer B to work again is to restart the router (turn off the router and turn it back on). And then it will be able to connect.

What is puzzling is how both computers have the same exact Belkin 54g 802.11g wireless network card. As well as that both computers use Windows to manage the connection to the wireless network. Both computers assign their own LAN IP addresses (Computer A is 192.168.2.102 and Computer B is 192.168.2.103) however the problem still occurs even if the router assigns its own IP addresses using DHCP. I used to be on channel 11 and got the same problem, now I use channel 1, however channel 11 was used by my next door neighbours and interfered with the network (which is a separate problem that is since resolved) so I switched to channel 1 (the problem of computer B not connecting properly after a restart still happens on channel 1 and several other channels I have tried). The network uses WPA security, and MAC address filtering, however the problem still happens without these features enabled. I also block WAN pings and have uPnP enabled (however uPnP being disabled still gives the problem).

The router is a Belkin 802.11g 54g FSD7630-4A (UK). There is a firmware update out however it does not seem to have anything changed that can fix this bug, and I do not have an Ethernet network card and cable to update (it can not be updated over a wireless connection as the Belkin website states)

Computer B can pick up other networks in the area (about 2 from neighbours on my street). Computer A can only pick up one other network from my next door neighbour.

Thanks to anyone who can shed light on the problem and get Computer B to be more talkative. If I have not been very clear in stating what the problem is please tell me. Thanks in advance again!
[Image: anubis5hq.png]
06-26-2006 07:26 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
YottabyteWizard

37 / Male / Flag
RE: Wireless Network Problem
Do you have a WEP Key enabled? Try working wih the wireless connection with WEP Security disabled.
06-26-2006 08:22 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
rav0
Veteran Member

i have an avatar

34 / Male / Flag
RE: RE: Wireless Network Problem
quote:
Originally posted by YottabyteWIzard
Do you have a WEP Key enabled? Try working wih the wireless connection with WEP Security disabled.

rtfa
quote:
Originally posted by Anubis
The network uses WPA security, and MAC address filtering, however the problem still happens without these features enabled.
| [Image: dorsh] |

(\ /)
(O.o)
(> <)

This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination
06-26-2006 08:34 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
ZrednaZ

37 / Male / Flag
You could always try narrowing down the source of the problem to perhaps one of the network cards... Try swapping the cards between your computers - if computer A starts behaving like B behaved before, you'll prolly want to get one of the cards exchanged. :P
No, I didn't search before
posting. Don't bother asking.
06-26-2006 08:04 PM
Voldemort
Veteran Member

– / – / Flag
True, do as ZrednaZ says, if its not possible, I assume the problem is with a desktop computer, try on another PCI slot.. a computer with network problems I fixed had a similar problem on a wired network, I changed it to a different PCI port, and it was fixed...

If the problem has been there since the card was installed... well... the card could be deffective OR, check the IRQ number of the wireless card in your BIOS it should be Unique and if it repeats change it to another one, Repeated IRQs can create conflicts...
[if you need help with this weird thing tell me]

As for the Belkin Router Firmwire update, I have a Belkin Router too, not that model tho,  and i have updated its firmware via the Wireless Network...

This post was edited on 06-26-2006 at 08:21 PM by Voldemort.
*All posts are a purely speculative hypothesis based on abstract reasoning.
Not my daughter, you bitch!
[Image: ico-mollytrix16.gif]
06-26-2006 08:20 PM
Anubis
Elite Member

33 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Wireless Network Problem
quote:
Originally posted by ZrednaZ
Try swapping the cards between your computers - if computer A starts behaving like B behaved before, you'll prolly want to get one of the cards exchanged.
Tried it, for a while I thought it was okay, however computer B again started causing troubles.

Changing the PCI slot didn't help.

quote:
Originally posted by Voldemort

As for the Belkin Router Firmwire update, I have a Belkin Router too, not that model tho,  and i have updated its firmware via the Wireless Network...
I'm still cautious because of what the readme says, but I'll give it a go.

I don't really think the problem is with the computer as when I turn the router off and back on it works fine.

This post was edited on 06-27-2006 at 03:06 PM by Anubis.
[Image: anubis5hq.png]
06-27-2006 02:48 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: