What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » Scripting » The open/closed window notifier feature

Pages: (26): « First « 19 20 21 22 [ 23 ] 24 25 26 » Last »
The open/closed window notifier feature
Author: Message:
Jellings

34 / Male / –
RE: RE: The open/closed window notifier feature
quote:
Originally posted by GiantSpider
quote:
Originally posted by Jellings
A lot of people would probably find a "session notifier" quite usefull.
Not in dispute at all, but you can't then release it as a "open/close window notifier or make people believe it will do such a thing.

i wasn't suggesting that it be released under any name other that what it truely would be - a session notifier.

quote:
@Jellings: Someone is already making one, nx01rules. He is just figuring out how to display a message inside the conversation window, but he seems capable ;) I'll PM him and ask about the status :)Cloudy

Awesome, where will this be released (does he have a website, or will it be released somewhere on the messenger plus! forums?)
[Image: Jellings.png]

[Image: ++++-+Click+Here+-.png]
07-21-2006 11:39 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
cloudhunter

36 / – / –
RE: The open/closed window notifier feature
Well if you look from page 15 onwards, you will see the start of the discussion. Granted it is mostly alot of ranting from other people... He doesn't have a website as far as I know. It will be in all likelyhood called a window open notification... But the result is the same. It is, and always was, a Session notifier.

Cloudy
[Image: cloudy.jpg]
Sig by pirateok/marisaok/marisa ;)
quote:
Originally posted by Moulin Rouge
The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return

6697 days, 20 hours, 54 minutes, 34 seconds ago
07-21-2006 11:47 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by cloudhunter
Although that analogy is well thought out, it is innacurate. For instance, getting a notification for a display pic is not really too bad... Anyhow i'm not going to discuss polotics here ;)
His analogy wasn't to start a discussion on politics, nor is the important thing that it is a bad thing. The important thing and the whole essence of his analogy (and this discussion) is that it also those other things as well. In others words: it does not work...

My car analogy is just the same but from another POV. If a car only starts half the time (analogy to you only get a true open/closed window notification half the time), it is not a working car (analogy to it is not working as a reliable open/close window notifier)...

And that is the whole essence. If something is not working or is not accurate 100% all the time, it is not working. period. I wouldn't buy that car as a 'working' car, just I wouldn't call the bombing solution a 'working' solution either.

A mailclient which will mail an email but together with that mail some random stuff sometimes, I wouldn't want to use that as a 'working' email client either.

If your mathimatical solution in the schoollab isn't reliable, I don't think your teacher would give you much points as it is not working 100%

If the shortcut for a personalised status in Messenger Plus! sometimes change your status to that personalised status, but other times to a random one, I don't think people will call that feature working... And you all will be shouting to Patchou to make it working or shouting to him to stop calling it finished and working....

Again, if something isn't accurate 100%, thus isn't working 100%, it is not working.

quote:
Originally posted by GiantSpider
quote:
A lot of people would probably find a "session notifier" quite usefull.
Not in dispute at all, but you can't then release it as a "open/close window notifier or make people believe it will do such a thing.

Exactly!

quote:
Awesome, where will this be released
A new thread in the script section will be created (hopefully together with a warning and proper explanation that it is not reliable as a window notifier and hopefully together with a link to this thread so people can discuss the 'working' issue in here and don't spam that thread with it)

quote:
It will be in all likelyhood called a window open notification...
And I hope it will not as not only that is NOT what it is and also because that will do nothing good to be informative and accurate toward people (his own users of the script) and will only keep this discussion alive with what you all call useless ranting posts.

Calling the script a window notifier undermines everything what has been said by people who dedicate there time to help other people in an accurate and correct way in the past years and on several messenger forums. Very nice towards them I'd say...

This post was edited on 07-22-2006 at 12:03 AM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
07-21-2006 11:56 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
cloudhunter

36 / – / –
I know it wasn't to start an discussion on politics ;)

With your analogy I understand why it can't be called a "working" Open close window notifier. But it can be called a working session notifier very easily... As that is exactly what you program it to do. That I beleive, is in no dispute at all.

Cloudy

This post was edited on 07-22-2006 at 12:01 AM by cloudhunter.
quote:

07-22-2006 12:00 AM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
With your analogy I understand why it can't be called a "working" Open close window notifier. But it can be called a working session notifier very easily... As that is exactly what you program it to do. That I beleive, is in no dispute at all.
Exactly, hence hwy it should be called as that.
07-22-2006 12:02 AM
cloudhunter

36 / – / –
That is not to say that you could put inside your thread what it was previously known as, as long as it is made sure that people know that it is no longer accurate (preferabely in big red letters :P)

Cloudy
quote:

07-22-2006 12:03 AM
ecion

37 / Male / –
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised

he read it and as he said, "it does work as a session notifier, but not as a opened/closed window notifier". He is dead right about that.

Please do not make me keep repeating myself. It can indeed be used as a open/closed window notifer, as I explained here:
http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=61...d=692651#pid692651

And when people use it, what are they gonna want from it? To find out when people get their DPs? I think not. They will use it as a "open/closed window notifier", which they will be able to do as long as they take into account its limitations in the post I directed you to.

So lets get this straight. Who are you to say what people can and cannot call their threads/scripts/applications? Especially when the item in question CAN actually do what it says on the tin.

quote:
My car analogy is just the same but from another POV. If a car only starts half the time (analogy to you only get a true open/closed window notification half the time), it is not a working car (analogy to it is not working as a reliable open/close window notifier)...

You have the basis of that analogy wrong. As actually the car WOULD start every time you wanted it to.. However, it would also start up by itself. (Analogy being you ALWAYS get a notification when a window is open. - but get extra notifications for DPs etc.)

CookieRevised; if you are so against this, then ignore it? No one is making you use it, so please stop arguing against it in this thread. It’s getting you nowhere. The fact is people want this feature. The fact is people will be able to use it as an "open/closed window notifier". (Again I refer to the ''rules'' so to speak, that I listed in my first post in this thread). If you don’t want to use it, fine, but have the decency to let others get on with it, without being put down by you all the time. Good day.
[Image: ecion_megane_sig2.jpg]
07-22-2006 08:30 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
-Buffy

i can understand people getting sick of developing in this kind of climate. why dont' we just wait until someone developed a new one. obviously everyone finds the other one, if its working or not, whatever its name is, useless.
07-22-2006 08:54 AM
AmbulanceX

[ rip the jacker ]

34 / Male / –
Outch, cookie stole my anaology, i said to him, if a car only starts 50% of the time, the car is working. because it can move, it can do what its ment to do. doesnt matter if it can only do this 50% of the time. so cookie, just leave this post alone.
Bulimic rainbows vomit what?, Burn Piano Island Burn!
07-22-2006 09:32 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: RE: The open/closed window notifier feature
quote:
Originally posted by ecion
quote:

he read it and as he said, "it does work as a session notifier, but not as a opened/closed window notifier". He is dead right about that.
Please do not make me keep repeating myself. It can indeed be used as a open/closed window notifer, as I explained here:
http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=61...d=692651#pid692651
It is explantions like that which are WRONG...

quote:
quote:
You have the basis of that analogy wrong. As actually the car WOULD start every time you wanted it to.. However, it would also start up by itself. (Analogy being you ALWAYS get a notification when a window is open. - but get extra notifications for DPs etc.)
yeah sure, and that is a working care? don't make me laugh...

quote:
CookieRevised; if you are so against this, then ignore it?
FFS, start reading my stuff for what it stands instead. I never said I'm against this...

quote:
The fact is people will be able to use it as an "open/closed window notifier". (Again I refer to the ''rules'' so to speak, that I listed in my first post in this thread).
They will not be able to use it as a reliable window notifier. Even you yourself state this in your "rules". It is NOT working as a window notifier and it is not a window notifier. So you stop being ignorant to the fact that many decent helpers have helped people for years regarding this issue and who are YOU to come here and state things otherwise that it does work (if you can interpret the false stuff like a magician can look into his crystal ball)? Do some maths, some statistics, help people out and explane why some hard rumor is false in detail for years and years and we'll talk again...

quote:
If you don’t want to use it, fine, but have the decency to let others get on with it, without being put down by you all the time.
Again read my freaking posts, for your information (but apparently you don't hold 'information' very highly) I actually help in developping such a SESSION notifier...

good day to you.

quote:
Originally posted by AmbulanceX
Outch, cookie stole my anaology, i said to him, if a car only starts 50% of the time, the car is working. because it can move, it can do what its ment to do.
Sure it can.... now go buy that car and use it as your own car... :dodgy:

This post was edited on 07-22-2006 at 09:57 AM by CookieRevised.
07-22-2006 09:55 AM
Pages: (26): « First « 19 20 21 22 [ 23 ] 24 25 26 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: