What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » Scripting » Idea: script that keeps track of smartness ("spell checker script with a twist")

Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
Idea: script that keeps track of smartness ("spell checker script with a twist")
Author: Message:
Neohakai

O.P. Idea: script that keeps track of smartness ("spell checker script with a twist")
On another forum I noticed a script that they had running.  It kept track of a person's "smartness"  based on common misspellings and their grammar.  I was wondering if it would be possible to set something like that up with Messenger Plus! Live.  I've looked through a few scripts and I have a basic idea of what can and can't be done.  The way I was thinking of would be to set it up so that it would cross check the other person's messages with a list of misspellings.  Then it would add or subtract from the persons "smartness" which would probably be saved in a txt file on your computer.  The only real problem I could think of was that it might slow stuff down if the list of misspellings is to long.

I was wondering if this would be possible and if so maybe someone could create it or point me in the right direction.

P.S. Heres the other forum to give you an example of what I'm talking about...  I hope you don't consider this advertising.   http://forums.facepunchstudios.com/showthread.php?t=164597

This post was edited on 07-16-2006 at 04:55 PM by Tochjo.
07-15-2006 06:44 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Chris4
Elite Member

32 / Male / Flag
RE: An idea...
But you would need a dictionary so it could check what words are wrong and right? Where's this going to be?
Twitter: @ChrisLozeau
07-15-2006 07:01 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
absorbation
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
Well the idea is good, but it would be too hard checking with an online dictionary. Plus the script, although good, I doubt will be that heavily used. What program checks your smartness anyway? I wouldn't mind using it for a while :).
07-15-2006 07:04 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Neohakai

O.P. RE: An idea...
I'm not sure what program they use but I like the idea.  You're right about it not being heavily used...  I just thought it would be a cool idea.  As for the dictionary it might not have to be online...  Maybe just in a txt file or something.  But there again if it's a long list it would probably slow everything down.
07-15-2006 07:28 PM
NiteMare
Veteran Member

Giga-Byte me

36 / Male / Flag
oh god, i wonder if it gives you a number, if it does, you'd need a negitive for me:P
[Image: sig/]
I'll never forget what she said 6649 days, 1 hour, 34 minutes, 4 seconds ago
Need hosting? Check
out my website. we can help you out :)
07-15-2006 07:33 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Neohakai

So this idea is pretty much a waste of time for me then?
07-15-2006 07:49 PM
Duckness

It's going to be a long job but if we work in team it's not that hard to do! If somebody writes the code and like 10 people add words to the database or what ever you're going to use! This hasn't to be that hard! I can help for the basic English things (or just writing things from my dictionary! But if we make an English version why shouldn't we work out a Dutch version too? We can ask the people on the dutch forum to! I'm Dutch too so I can help in that language!!!!

Duckness
07-16-2006 12:53 AM
lordy

34 / Male / Flag
but whats the point of it? :s How does a person's misspellings give an indication of the quality of help they give, etc?

Even Cookie makes spelling mistakes
07-16-2006 12:56 AM
Neohakai

It's not so much a serious thing as it is interesting to see how many people misspell stuff without thinking about it...  As for the words I'm sure theres a list online somewhere.

Edit:  after a quick google search we already have 100 of them.
http://www.yourdictionary.com/library/misspelled.html
Edit:  Even better. 
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Lists_of_c...lings/For_machines

This post was edited on 07-16-2006 at 04:10 AM by Neohakai.
07-16-2006 03:59 AM
Jellings

34 / Male / –
Instead of an online dictionary, maybe it could check your text against a file that contains common spelling mistakes.
[Image: Jellings.png]

[Image: ++++-+Click+Here+-.png]
07-16-2006 03:53 PM
Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: