What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » General » General Chit Chat » Your views: Life after death?

Pages: (8): « First « 2 3 4 5 [ 6 ] 7 8 » Last »
1 votes - 5 average   Your views: Life after death?
Author: Message:
ShawnZ
Veteran Member

32 / Male / Flag
RE: Your views: Life after death?
quote:
Originally posted by .Vimto.
I believe that our soul or energy goes onto someone else or something else.

well yes, molecules don't just appear and vanish, they change
Spoiler:
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
07-20-2006 09:31 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
andrewdodd13

Oh so retro

34 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by welshboy222
Every species must come to an end even humans, the dinosaurs met their end and so must we.

Except I'm pretty sure that Dinosaurs couldn't do things like immaculate conception, etc. We could probably survive anything thrown at us atm :).

Unless you believe in the Big Crash theory :)

I agree with the people that say we just stop. But, on the other hand, I'm gonna present an alternate theory (which makes my head hurt just thinking about it).

How can you prove that other beings are concious? You percieve them to be concious, but that's only your perception. How can you prove that everything around you isn't just a dream or a faulty perception?

To digress about perception, the easiest example is colour. For example, look at the following sentence:
red green blue.
Now, we all see that as going red, blue, green. But how can you tell that what you see as red is what every one else sees as red? Assuming that another persons colours were flipped right round (mixing colours wouldn't work otherwise) then it's possible that someone else sees that as my blue, then my green, then my red.
* andrewdodd13 has a sore head already.

Anyway, back on track. How can you tell that when you die, everything around you won't cease to exist either?

The main reason we can't explain death is because no one that's dead has ever been able to explain it to us.

But in theory, the human cortex is just like a Hard Disk with a couple of thousand terabytes of space. So, if we were able to decipher how information was stored there, and stop it from decomposing after death, we would be able to read someone's thoughts after they were dead. (Barring any moral and ethical problems, of course).

And as someone already said, people believe in God and such because they need something to live for. I imagine it's pretty hard for people giving up their faith in religions and moving to atheism, because all the time they'd be thinking "Why am I doing this?".

* andrewdodd13 has a sore head now. :)

This post was edited on 07-20-2006 at 10:27 AM by andrewdodd13.
[Image: AndrewsStyle.png]
07-20-2006 10:26 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
ayjay

– / Male / Flag
"You" and everything that makes "you" is nothing but a series of electrical impulses. EVERYTHING that is you is in the pink thing inside your head. When you die, there is nothing to power the electrical impulses therefore the pink thing stops functioning and everything that was "you" is over. People talk about souls but that's just religious crap :P In what way can a soul exist? If, in some magical way, it did, it wouldn't have any of the thoughts, memories or anything that makes what you are. They are specific to your brain and nothing can ever take them out or present them in any other way at all.

On the other hand, I don't understand how people are comparing us to computers, using that as proof that when we die we stop. Computers don't develop a personality, a sense of being, true consciousness of what or who they are or the world around them. We are pretty unique organisms in that sense. While I don't see this as a reason to believe we have a soul, or do anything other than decompose when we die, it does add another aspect to it other than "we die, we stop".

Btw, gif83, I find your theory very interesting :P It can take just milliseconds for the chain of enough electrical signals to give the impression of a whole life to happen. Although, while the brain is still working for these milliseconds for it to happen in, we aren't technically dead, so it still doesn't resemble life after death.
07-20-2006 10:49 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Sunshine
Elite Member

– / Female / Flag
All depends on wether you believe souls can exist without a body or not i think...reincarnation...not sure about that one, if there is it would be human to human only (past lives theory)...

I do believe a soul can be independent of a body seeing as souls/minds can communicate with another without a body having to be there.....and yes i know this sounds freaky but this goes for souls of the living and the souls of the dead...

Sadly this isn't much comfort to those having lost a loved one because one thing you can't do with a soul/spirit...and that's hold it physicly...
[Image: 25dr3o9]
07-20-2006 10:51 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Lou
Veteran Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by thekid
UTI, if there is such thing as reincarnation, how come the world's population keeps increasing?
Well I guess it could be possible if we kill species of animals and they reincarnate into humans.
[Image: msghelp.net.png]
The future holds bright things in it\\\'s path, but only time will tell what they are and where they come from.
Messenger Stuff Forums
07-20-2006 11:55 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
xa0s

RE: RE: Your views: Life after death?
quote:
Originally posted by dramado
where do you go when you die?
where did you come from before you were born?

a dead body is simply a broken human. we're like machines. I don't believe anything happens.

Indeed. Before you're born, and when you die, you're conscious of nothing.
07-20-2006 12:07 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
qgroessl
Veteran Member

33 / – / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by thekid
UTI, if there is such thing as reincarnation, how come the world's population keeps increasing?

I'm a catholic so i believe in God.... (not a strict catholic though I hate church)... But you know, some how the first two people made their way onto earth, so God has to assist in making some people... and he hasn't stopped... By reincarnation it keeps the population about the same, but then with God/nature also creating more human beings by themselves.

I say God/nature because I don't accept how God created Adam and Eve, I believe in evolution.
07-20-2006 03:36 PM
absorbation
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Your views: Life after death?
quote:
Originally posted by UTI
I say God/nature because I don't accept how God created Adam and Eve, I believe in evolution.

The theory of causation is that God created the big bang, which created the universe. But then we ask, who or what made God?
07-20-2006 03:41 PM
welshboy222

29 / Male / –
I believe that some of the things in the bible are not true for instance Adam and eve and maybe about the creation of the world. Also how did the people who wrote the bible know about the creation of the world?
If the worst comes to the worst eat a cake makes you feel better!
07-20-2006 03:43 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
GiantSpider
Veteran Member

34 / Male / Flag
My views on life after death? There better fucking be one. What's the point in actually doing this (life) to take a loada shit all the time, work dead end jobs, knowing that there is nothing afterwards. Scares me to be honest.
07-20-2006 04:41 PM
Pages: (8): « First « 2 3 4 5 [ 6 ] 7 8 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: