What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » General » General Chit Chat » Your views: Life after death?

Pages: (8): « First « 1 2 3 [ 4 ] 5 6 7 8 » Last »
1 votes - 5 average   Your views: Life after death?
Author: Message:
qgroessl
Veteran Member

33 / – / Flag
RE: Your views: Life after death?
quote:
Originally posted by ShawnZ
Trying to explain what happens after death would involve explaining conciousness and how our brain works, so i'd like to keep it short... Your brain is constantly "going", and recording memories. You die, and it isn't anymore, and all your memories and feelings are gone forever. Though, there is one thing I can't comprehend -- if you fall into a coma or become unconcious, is waking up essentially starting a new life with the same memories?

Hence my theory of reincarnation... You'll basically wake up, in a different body, with no memories except those that are your instincts in life.

Never really thought about how you get into a different body.... possibly the 4th dimension?
07-19-2006 09:20 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
M73A
Veteran Member

34 / Male / Flag
i believe that you die , your heart stoips, your brain gets no blood/oxygen, you stop thinking... and thats it, you just stop living.... your dead!

[Image: lost7ru.gif]
07-19-2006 09:25 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Supersonicdarky
Veteran Member

– / – / Flag
i believe in the scientific reasoning for everything, so i say that there isnt life after death, tho i sometimes dream about it [Image: msn_tongue.gif] (cuz i'm somewhat afrain of dying (slight Thanatophobia))

tho i kinds believe in phycicness (predicting future) because i my self have predicted what i'd see or do in the future multiple times already...
07-19-2006 10:42 PM
Chrono
forum admin

;o

39 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by segosa
Why? Why does there have to be something? Why can't people accept that you die? Why does everyone constantly look for a reason? A reason for living: God. A reason for dying: the afterlife/heaven. Maybe people are so afraid of death that they need to come up with a reason not to be afraid of it.
That's exactly the whole point, seg. Humans need something to believe in, in order to have a "happy" life or whatever you wanna call it. It's not that they're really afraid of death, they need the feeling that what they do in their lifes will be useful somehow. There's a religion out there (cant remember which one :P) that says that if you do good in this life, you'll have a better next life (and if you do bad/evil/whatever, you'll have a worse one). You'd think 'why would you want to believe in something like that?'. The answer is quite simple: it gives you a reason to live and do your best at whatever you wanna do or be :P.
In my opinion, religion is there for people to have a reason of living. Catholics for example will be good in order to get to heaven :P.

i'm atheist btw 8-)

edited:
quote:
Originally posted by vaccination
I'm totally against the whole god thing. The simple fact that he apparently made the world in 7 days (according to Christianity)
afaik, the pope says already that it was a metaphor :P

This post was edited on 07-19-2006 at 11:29 PM by Chrono.
[Image: wdz_discrate.png]
07-19-2006 11:15 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
gif83

41 / Male / Flag
OK.. may as well write my "views" on this issue...

Life is a strange thing to start off with... here. life means some form of conciousness or awareness of self as opposed to just the opposite of dead...

This conciousness, according to what humans observe, appears to emerge from the complexity of a network.. all the small things that make us who we are mentally are also physical... in the same way that a file on a computer may be nothing more than digital data stored on a physical object, it represents far more than a series of 1's and 0's ....

death seems to occur when there is a breakdown in the network such that the whole system can no longer function as a whole...  what we perceive as conciousness may change... we can only peceive what our network allows us to.. we cannot know any more than that... so at any given point, we would never "feel" any less "alive" in death.

Now here come some more interesting (to some people) stuff...
had this conversation with someone ... once.. i think.. where it was mentioned that there would be brain activity long after people are proclaimed dead... now.. dreams wehave in our sleep seem to have no sense of time... a day in your dream may pass in a mere second in "real life" .. so it was proposed that perhaps you could live a lifetime in your dream after you "die"... cop out? perhaps. but a kind of nice romantic idea... (in comparison to the "we are robots and when we're broken, that's it" sort of idea)

some form of life after death cannot yet be proved now if ever... and belief in any one idea may very well be true... science is as flawed as religion in my eyes as it is dependent on an interpretation of observations made. why not believe in something after death? it's what we as humans are great at... storytelling and hypotheses.. dicussions and debates... it all makes life worth living.

myself? i'm boring and don't believe in any one thing in particular and am open to anything. I don't believe my lack of commitment to any religion, faith or belief makes me any less strong a person... i am not atheist nor agnostic... i just perceive "life" through my own eyes.

what i won't mind doing is making up different stories of what life may be after death if there be such a thing....

perhaps the broken down network would have similar properties to networks of a similar nature... the "conciousness" of a cookie may have the same basic network structure as the fat from my left buttcheek... perhaps that which remained there may have the same feelings as a  cookie...  cookie heaven... where all cookies go and swim in seas of milk and tea....

you get the idea..

07-19-2006 11:22 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
lrac522

– / Male / Flag
Very interesting topic. I myself think about what really happens when someone dies. I kinda believe that life is given to new born randomly after death so it would be as if you were reborn which erases everything after death. I could be wrong but nobody really knows what really happen after death.(Y) Hi all...
[Image: signature3phpga4.png]
07-20-2006 12:46 AM
Chris4
Elite Member

32 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by M73A
i believe that you die , your heart stoips, your brain gets no blood/oxygen, you stop thinking... and thats it, you just stop living.... your dead!
That's what I think... I think. :|
Twitter: @ChrisLozeau
07-20-2006 12:49 AM
Lou
Veteran Member

– / Male / Flag
Here's my opinion/theory, which btw takes me a lot of nerve to right seeing as death is a dangerous subject with me:

When your computer dies, it just stops working. It's got no magical powers to keep wandering around your house, invisible. I think we are the same. We have no magical powers, therefore no "souls" which let us wander around as "ghosts" to annoy/help people.

This also means that if you die, and have no soul, you dont go down into the earth's core (which btw would probably melt even "souls"). This would also mean your unexistant "soul" also does not go into the heavens (which are "above the clouds") as noone in a plane/jet/spaceship has ever heard secret voices or anything dodgy  happening up there. This would of course happen if someone flew a plane through where "god(s)" live(s)

Therefore, if my theory is true, when someone dies, their body simply stops functioning, and with future technology, if the body has enough parts to normally keep going, people could probably be brought back to life  (if their brain was able to hold thoughts/knowledge)
[Image: msghelp.net.png]
The future holds bright things in it\\\'s path, but only time will tell what they are and where they come from.
Messenger Stuff Forums
07-20-2006 01:41 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Joa
The dodgiest member

116 / Female / Flag
i used to think about it, and i believed a lot of things in my time...
my point of view about this keeps on changing

i'm kinda in between... i don't really lose anything either way there's no way to prove either one of those things. people don't just come back from the dead and go on the news telling others what happens.

i like to think... that maybe we are reborn/recycled? it's something that is actually a fact in a sense :P, so i actually DO believe in it... technically we are... our bodies at least. but if that's all there is to us, than in a sense WE are reborn.. when we decompose, or are burnt and turn to dust, we become a part of the earth which is used to grow all kinds of other things and people... it's this cycle that goes on forever.. so maybe we are always alive in a sense. i mean what are we really? we are made up of so many cells that are all alive and working independently, made up of living organs that can be transplanted.. but are dependent on a bigger systems that they and others make up. just like we are dependent on the earth, the other planets, and our universe. think about it... what you think is so unique about you could actually be something an emu ate at one point ............................ 8-) and that's the end of joa's blabbing.
:bow: gif :bow: <3   

spam.

07-20-2006 01:53 AM
ShawnZ
Veteran Member

31 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by UTI
possibly the 4th dimension?

the fourth dimension is, logically, a spacial dimension like the rest of them.
Spoiler:
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.