What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » General » General Chit Chat » Your Views: Religion

Pages: (5): « First « 1 2 3 [ 4 ] 5 » Last »
Your Views: Religion
Author: Message:
Negro_Joe

Go!Go!Go!

34 / Male / –
RE: Your Views: Religion
I don’t believe in God, and i think religion is pointless. At one time or another religion was "invented" it wasn’t born out of nothing, so how can something invented be based upon fact. Different religions have come and gone and others have changed vastly over time so how can this be all based on the same god, it just doesn’t seem to make sense. Religion is full of contradictions and i think the world would be a better place without it. Terrorists use bombs and murders as acts of religion. These people have taken something, a rule, or teaching and completely warped it to suit their own means there is nothing religious about it. Religion is a cause for conflict and not much else.

[Image: sinavatar4ie.jpg]

07-22-2006 07:08 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Thor
Veteran Member

Awwwwwwww.

31 / – / Flag
To say it short: I'm not a christian, jew, etc....
I simply don't believe in any god, I believe in facts and (err, something that aren't really proved) the big bang. I still believe in spirits, ghost, haunted stuff. :)
:plus4: Translation guidelines for Messenger Plus! Live
I'm no longer around this town, but I miss the community dearly. You can always find me lurking in #banana, or at
nitrolinken.net.
07-22-2006 07:40 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
ayjay

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Nitrolinken
I believe in facts

The scientific history of the universe isn't fact. It's mainly unprovable theory.

quote:
the big bang

Christian (and other religions) teaching is that (IF there was a big bang), it was caused by God. They don't actually believe that he just said "let there be light" etc :P
07-22-2006 08:06 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Supersonicdarky
Veteran Member

– / – / Flag
this is where i might turn racist...

i'm quite sick of religeons since they only exist so the "church" or government could control the people. And as Nitrolinken said, i believe in facts. I'm quite a scientific person and no one can make me believe the gibberish. Sometimes when i watch tv with people who know i despise religions, turn the channel to one of the religious ones and hide the remote. It usually drives me mad until i realise there's and off switch on the tv

satanists ftw! :P
07-22-2006 08:18 PM
Thor
Veteran Member

Awwwwwwww.

31 / – / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by ajd
quote:
I believe in facts

(1.)The scientific history of the universe isn't fact. It's mainly unprovable theory.

quote:
the big bang
(2.)
Christian (and other religions) teaching is that (IF there was a big bang), it was caused by God. They don't actually believe that he just said "let there be light" etc :P
(2.)No, I believe in the scientificly (errr, spelling you know) Big Bang. Actually it was called the Big Bang by a man who meant the theory was insane/impossible. But it actually became the most regular term for it. :)

(1.) Yes, but you get my point,  (I don't mean "God did that" theory) but the more possible (well, I'm not gonna discus the possibility for the big bang :P) facts, the one that doesn't have any special connection with, Jesus, God, etc. :)
I'm no longer around this town, but I miss the community dearly. You can always find me lurking in #banana, or at
nitrolinken.net.
07-22-2006 08:35 PM
linx05

Charlie!!!

38 / Other / Flag
I don't believe in God and I don't believe in religion. I think people who do are simple minded sheep who need to wake up.

I use to be like Sunshine etc, having respect for other peoples beliefs, but after a few years I just can't anymore. I see more and more bad things happen to people who believe in this thing. Quite frankly, the world would be much better off without this.

I use to drive a mormon to Tafe each day and back. That was until he imposed his beliefs on me and called my girlfriend a slut (here that girls, don't wear short shorts because you're a slut if you do). We were having a big fight on the last day I drove him, he got personal with me so I got personal with him. He couldn't prove to me that God was real, it is all built up on a belief structure. I mean, I have a tiny leprechaun sitting on my shoulder named Bob. Who are you to say it isn't real? You must believe! Then you can talk to my friend Bob :).
For news on anything Tremors, visit Tremors News
End Darko
My blog about my film

Scripts I want to get made:
Taskbar icon to change when contact is typing
07-22-2006 10:24 PM
Thor
Veteran Member

Awwwwwwww.

31 / – / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by linx05
I mean, I have a tiny leprechaun sitting on my shoulder named Bob. Who are you to say it isn't real? You must believe! Then you can talk to my friend Bob (Smilie).
Yup, I agree, it's about what you believe, no one can say that it isn't there. :)
nitrolinken.net.
07-22-2006 10:32 PM
bergy

36 / Male / –
this is an argument i came up with that seems to disprove God's existence... see what you think

assumption: the term "God" implies said being is omnipotent

can god create a puzzle so hard he cannot complete it?

if YES - causes a problem, there is something he cannot do - therefore he is not truly omnipotent, and is therefore not God

if NO - same as above, if he Cannot create this there is something he can't do, ergo he is not omnipotent and not God

summary - omnipotence causes an unresolvable paradox, therefore omnipotence is not logically possible - hence, God CANNOT exist
07-22-2006 10:46 PM
Grue

– / Male / –
Note: This is a long post and I am not trying to preach to anyone or start any argument or anything. I am just posting my opinions and beliefs about religion and all of your thoughts about religion.

Do you believe there is a god/s?
I do believe that there is a god. I am an active member of a Christian church. Which church? It doesn’t matter.
What do you think of Religions?
I think that some are bad and just provide a way for control and violence etc. but I believe that most are good and are the opposite of this.
have some Religions gone to far with some of there  rules?
Absolutely…..
Are you religous?
Yup
Do you think religion causes to much violence?
Some do most don’t.
If you are religious why do you believe there is a god?
I do not believe that there is any way that the human body and all that has been created on this earth could have happened by accident.

quote:
Originally posted by saralk
I don't think there is a god. People use god to explain why we are here, however, if you explain that we are here because another sentient being created us, it just brings the question of how did that being come to exist. And I think most religions conviniently ignore that.

The religion that I am part of has an answer to this question, but I am not going to get into all of the doctrine; we don’t just ignore this question.

quote:
Originally posted by GiantSpider
I don't know, this is too much of a coincidence, but if there is God, how come loads of shit happens every day?
quote:
Originally posted by Discrate
Yer i agree, if there is a god why does he/she/it let all this crap go on in the world like wars, fighting, poverty ect.
Well I believe that we are all here to be tested. People are tested in many different ways and in different degrees, physically tested, mentally tested etc. We all go through difficult times in our live and we are here to be tested with these hardships and tested whether we will sin and do bad stuff because of hard times.

quote:
Originally posted by Tasha

Then why doesn't everyone get an equal challenge? I thought everyone was equal to God?

We are not equal to god…… if we were than we would be omnipotent too…

quote:
Originally posted by andrewdodd13
The most common argument I hear to answer this is "free will". Apparently, any harm that befalls a human being is their own choice. I suppose it is in basic logic, but that makes "God" out to be a pretty crappy guy if he created viruses etc. (And ffs please don't say hackers made viruses.)

Also, if we are created "in Gods image", how come we feel jealousy, hate, etc?

I believe that “in Gods image” means that we have a body and our body was created in the image of Gods body. However we are all different people with different personalities etc.

quote:
Originally posted by Rubber Stamp
i believe in God. and i am religious. but i dont believe that different religions are contrary to each other. ALL religion say the same things, teach the same principles. only power hungry and greedy people use religion religion as a tool to justify their wrong acts and deeds. being a hindu, i visit the temple. God is there, and religion is not bad, only the way some people have interpreted it is bad.

I do believe that religions are contrary to each other. Every religion does NOT say the same thing. There are many different religions that say many different things and also have different "gods". There are though, a lot of religions that portray similar messages.

quote:
Originally posted by Mentality
Causes more harm than good these days. But people are entitled to their beliefs who are we to judge, if you don't believe in religion like me, you are only gonna have one opinion on it really (It's crap).

Some religions do cause harm these days but most do not. Don’t look at the Middle East and the car bombers that say they do it for god and judge all religions like that. Most religions are the exact opposite of that and promote service and humanitarian help etc. For example the LDS humanitarian Services provided 185,000 lbs of medical aid to victims of the earthquake in Indonesia, not to mention aid to the Asia tsunami, Hurricanes etc. So I do believe that even if you do not believe in God you have to respect the aid some of these churches give to others in need.

quote:
Originally posted by Mentality

My belief about religion though is that it is just an old "tool" used to keep control over people, it gave them something to look forward to if they followed the commandments, and something to fear if they didn't. and because it was so powerful (in those times) it worked. Now people need more fact and arnt as stupid, so they will break the rules, and most dont really believe in it anyway.

More and more people are now turning away for religion. because (Excuse the pun/cliché) They have seen the light :P

I don’t agree at all that religion is a tool used to keep control over people. You act as if promoting the “commandments” is a bad thing. Oh and more and more people are not turning away from religion, most religions are growing.

quote:
Originally posted by Negro_Joe
Terrorists use bombs and murders as acts of religion. These people have taken something, a rule, or teaching and completely warped it to suit their own means there is nothing religious about it. Religion is a cause for conflict and not much else.
Yes I agree with this except again don’t look at the terrorists and think that all religions are like this. I don’t believe most religions are a bad thing with the doctrine they teach and the service and aid that they provide. SOME religions are a cause for major conflict but most are not....
quote:
Originally posted by Supersonicdarky
this is where i might turn racist...
i'm quite sick of religeons since they only exist so the "church" or government could control the people. And as Nitrolinken said, i believe in facts. I'm quite a scientific person and no one can make me believe the gibberish. Sometimes when i watch tv with people who know i despise religions, turn the channel to one of the religious ones and hide the remote. It usually drives me mad until i realise there's and off switch on the tv

satanists ftw! :P
quote:
Originally posted by linx05
I don't believe in God and I don't believe in religion. I think people who do are simple minded sheep who need to wake up.

I use to be like Sunshine etc, having respect for other peoples beliefs, but after a few years I just can't anymore. I see more and more bad things happen to people who believe in this thing. Quite frankly, the world would be much better off without this.

I use to drive a mormon to Tafe each day and back. That was until he imposed his beliefs on me and called my girlfriend a slut (here that girls, don't wear short shorts because you're a slut if you do). We were having a big fight on the last day I drove him, he got personal with me so I got personal with him. He couldn't prove to me that God was real, it is all built up on a belief structure. I mean, I have a tiny leprechaun sitting on my shoulder named Bob. Who are you to say it isn't real? You must believe! Then you can talk to my friend Bob :).

Once again you guys can’t judge an entire religion by one person and you can’t judge all religions by one religion or one person. People make mistakes, nobody is perfect. You just don’t see all the good and aid that religions provide to people. I respect everyone’s belief but I just don’t see how this world would be a better place without religion. As I said even if you don't believe in a god you have to respect the service and aid many of them provide to others.
07-23-2006 12:49 AM
lrac522

– / Male / Flag
I do believe that there is a God but there are a lot of things that confuses me. They said that God created Adam and Eve and they were the two first people on earth, I would like to know what race they were. Lets assume that they were Caucasians, how do we end up with so many different race eg. Blacks, Chinese, Caucasians, Indians and many other? Are they considered the royal family? At this stage I try to do good things and try not to mix-up my brain with all these issues. Hi all...!
[Image: signature3phpga4.png]
07-23-2006 03:06 AM
Pages: (5): « First « 1 2 3 [ 4 ] 5 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: