What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » General » General Chit Chat » Your Views: The End of the World [Split]

Pages: (4): « First [ 1 ] 2 3 4 » Last »
Your Views: The End of the World [Split]
Author: Message:
andrewdodd13

Oh so retro

34 / Male / Flag
O.P. Your Views: The End of the World [Split]
quote:
Originally posted by DJeX in that other thread, about religion
I'd like to ask a question to everyone relating to there beliefs. What is your view on the end of the world? Obviously I have my thoughts but I'm curious what others think. and if you do think there will be an end when do you think it will be?

End of the world?

Hmm tricky.

If you define "end of the world" as "end of the planet Earth", then it's probable that the Sun will expand and engulf planet Earth, vavoom, end of "the world".

If you define "end of the world" as "end of the human race", we'll either wipe ourselves out (unlikely, tbh - it won't be long before we have people living on the moon [give it 20-25 years] making it hard to exterminate us) or be destroyed by the big crunch.

If you define "end of the world" as "end of the universe", meet the big crash. :)

An explanation on "the big crunch":
It's common theory among the scientific community that the universe was created by an event called "the big bang". Basically, everything was created from a single particle ("singularity"). The "big crunch" theory states that the eventually the universe will collapse back to this singularity.

It almost fits in with the Buddist teachings of the universe being created and recreated, as there's nothing to say that the big big and crunch aren't repetitive.

Which means the universe may actually be older than the 13.7 billion years since the last big bang ;)

Although (taken from Wikipedia): "However, recent experimental evidence (namely the observation of distant supernovae as standard candles, and the well-resolved mapping of the cosmic microwave background) have—to most scientists' considerable surprise—shown that the expansion of the universe is not being slowed down by gravity, but instead, accelerating, suggesting that the universe will not end with a Big Crunch, but will instead expand forever, though some scientists have contested this theory. (The evidence of an accelerating universe has been considered conclusive by most cosmologists since 2002.)"

So, no end to the universe... so it's possible that humanity could exist... forever.
[Image: AndrewsStyle.png]
07-24-2006 05:01 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
qgroessl
Veteran Member

33 / – / Flag
RE: Your Views: The End of the World [Split]
quote:
Originally posted by andrewdodd13
accelerating

Terrible word to use there really... accelerating is used for any change in speed... slowing down, and speeding up both fit... deceleration is sometimes used for the slowing down, but it's not the correct term.

Figured I should site a source so that people that might try and argue it ;)...source = http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/acceleration
quote:
Originally posted by andrewdodd13
So, no end to the universe... so it's possible that humanity could exist... forever.
By the time the universe would end, some scientists will probably find a new universe much like ours... I believe even though there's only one in exsistance (that we know of), that there are more out there that are much like ours, and they will meet.

This post was edited on 07-24-2006 at 06:08 PM by qgroessl.
07-24-2006 06:06 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
vaccination
Veteran Member

32 / Male / –
Well, I would agree with you completely there  andrewdodd13.

I have never heard of the "big crunch" before so i am glad you mentioned that, it seems feesable that the universe would collapse again and start over. It's scary to think that there have been other "Earths" and other "humans" in another universe that came about from a big bang before us which then imploded if you like to form our universe.

But humanity would not be able to live on  forever as there would be periods when we did not exist, such as when the universe is in a  single particle and when it is expanding after the big bang.

Very interesting stuff though.
[Image: jumbled.png]
07-24-2006 06:14 PM
absorbation
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
I think we will end up killing each other over stupid hatred, food or water.
07-24-2006 06:16 PM
qgroessl
Veteran Member

33 / – / Flag
I dunno if my original post about this got deleted or what... but after thinking about it I now believe we'll get killed by our own creation via robots or an a-bomb.
07-24-2006 06:18 PM
GiantSpider
Veteran Member

34 / Male / Flag
Yeah, I'm not into the whole Big Crunch thing, I think that the universe will continue to expand for all eternity or explode.

But the human race will continue until the end of the universe, by the time even this planet is finished, we'll be long gone.
quote:
Originally posted by vaccination
It's scary to think that there have been other "Earths" and other "humans" in another universe that came about from a big bang before us which then imploded if you like to form our universe.
That's not a given, who's to say the universe didn't grow differently last time?
07-24-2006 07:09 PM
YottabyteWizard

36 / Male / Flag
I also think the end of the human race by our own creations... AI is the worst idea ever, pretty cool for technology but not for machines.

That's why I liked Matrix 1, I belive in the theories on there. Before I saw this move i was thinking about that.
07-24-2006 07:55 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Joa
The dodgiest member

116 / Female / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by absorbation
I think we will end up killing each other over stupid hatred, food or water.

agreed :cheesy:

but yeah, i also think there's gonna be a huge war between us and a bunch of robots, eventually there will be very few people left and all there will be is these machines that will use and breed humans as slaves for whatever reasons till they all die out eventually.

seriously though, either somebody is going to be successful in the creation of a huge amount of anti-matter and will be able to contain it for a long period of time, untill they get careless (like all humans do with everything else) and things get out of control.. so we will all die pretty swiftly and painlessly i should hope. or everybody's gonna want to nuke everybody else, and if we all nuke eachother we're all gonna die :)
:bow: gif :bow: <3   

spam.

07-24-2006 08:09 PM
qgroessl
Veteran Member

33 / – / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Joa
but yeah, i also think there's gonna be a huge war between us and a bunch of robots, eventually there will be very few people left and all there will be is these machines that will use and breed humans as slaves for whatever reasons till they all die out eventually.

The robots would wait (if they're smart) till they hae everlasting batteries/motors and such, so they never die out... it's a scarey thought really

Best news (besides saving a bunch of money by switching to geico)... I'll be dead by the time it happens :refuck:
07-24-2006 08:12 PM
andrewdodd13

Oh so retro

34 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: RE: Your Views: The End of the World [Split]
quote:
Originally posted by UTI
The robots would wait (if they're smart) till they hae everlasting batteries/motors and such, so they never die out... it's a scarey thought really

Best news (besides saving a bunch of money by switching to geico)... I'll be dead by the time it happens :refuck:

People don't have everlasting batteries (unfortunatly, or fortunatly in some cases), so maybe the robots would realise that eventually they have to die.

Luckily, robots are going to find it hard to reproduce. Even if we like... gave them... bits... they'd be unlikely to conjure the power to create an exact replica of themselves from "normal" reproductive metals (its why the "complex design" of a watch argument falls down [I'll post about this in the intelligent design / religion thread if you really need me to]) because of how metals react as opposed to organic chemicals. (Carbon-based).

Of course, they could just harvest the metal and stuff and follow the same procedures we used to create them to create a copy.

Besides, if the robots get too intelligent, we still have EMP. (Although I'd hate to think what it'd be like if the robots invented something equivalent that worked on humans).

So, umm, yeah, robots FTL.

quote:
Originally posted by The fightclub master person ;)
seriously though, either somebody is going to be successful in the creation of a huge amount of anti-matter and will be able to contain it for a long period of time, untill they get careless (like all humans do with everything else) and things get out of control.. so we will all die pretty swiftly and painlessly i should hope. or everybody's gonna want to nuke everybody else, and if we all nuke eachother we're all gonna die

An antimatter explosion would be so cool. If you believe Dan Brown (Angels and Demons), we would basically be engulfed by a white light which would so own.
Although it's unlikely this will happen, it's incredibly hard to keep antimatter stored in large quantites, because it's impossible to create a perfect vacuum, so there would be particles annihilating each other. Besides, small quantities of antimatter are produced naturally from collisions in Earths atmosphere every day. (Although the energy released is 9x10^16J per kg of matter/antimatter, which is roughly 100 times more than the amount produced per kilogram of nuclear fission/fusion.)

If we're slow to get off the ground, it's likely that we'll all get nuked to shit. Especially with nubs like George Dubya Bush in office, jeez. I'd feel safer with N. Korea with nukes rather than that guy (mainly because they'd have to be some spiffy nukes to reach the UK from there - nubs can't even reach Japan atm ^o)).

I think though, once we establish like moon colonies and stuff, we'll be almost safe from this kind of thing. (Unless we actually physically blow Earth to shit, then the moon will have nothing to orbit, will begin orbiting the Sun... could be nasty)

But once we're off colonizing the galaxy... well, there are only 6-billion odd people on Earth, and it's a big galaxy.

If you seriously think you're at danger of being extinctified any time soon, just think, "basement, food stocks, and one of these."
[Image: AndrewsStyle.png]
07-24-2006 09:49 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Pages: (4): « First [ 1 ] 2 3 4 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: