What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » ***** URGENT, PLEASE HELP ME WITH MY PC, COULD AFFECT MY NEW JOB & CURRENT REDUANCY

***** URGENT, PLEASE HELP ME WITH MY PC, COULD AFFECT MY NEW JOB & CURRENT REDUANCY
Author: Message:
MC Inferno
Veteran Member

www.mcinferno.co.uk

35 / Male / Flag
O.P. ***** URGENT, PLEASE HELP ME WITH MY PC, COULD AFFECT MY NEW JOB & CURRENT REDUANCY
Right, 2 days ago, my pc was taking ages to load the power plug wire accidently slipped out resulting in lost of power, but I didnt wanna go on afterall so I went to bed, next day, when I loaded up my PC, it give me 5 choices of how to load windows coz it wernt shut down correctly. these choices wer...

SAFE MODE
SAFE MODE + COMMAND PROMPT
SAFE MODE + NETWORKING
LAST KNOWN GOOD CONFIGURATION
START WINDOWS NORMALLY

I first seclected the last one... it seemed to go ok, howevfer it automatically came up with a blue screen with writing, and a split sec later auto-restarted.... tried the other ones and same thing happened. Seem to go ok, then blue screen with writing comes up for split sec then auto restarts.

I got a little bit worried and accessed BIOS to help with the boot, but it didnt (tbh, i acassed a litte by fluke, so I dunno really how to get back on again). eventally, a little luck was thorwn my way, as the blue screen came up for a split sec, i noticed F8 in it, and so pressed that the next time round to get Windows Advanced Options! none helped however, but I did manage to stop the auto-restart and finally saw what was on the Blue Screen... here it is.

"A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to protect your computer.

UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME

If this is the first time you have seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps.

Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed. If this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufactururer for any Windows Updates you might find.

If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use safe mode to remove components, restart your computer, press F8 to selct advanced start up options, and then select safe mode.

Techinical Information:

*** STOP: OXOOOOOOED (OX82F949OO, OXCOOOOO9C, OXOOOOOOOO, OXOOOOOOOO)"

As you can imagine, I am shit scared. I have an application form that needs to be sent by email for monday, and I have limited use on this PC, so I beg you, please, someone help with ANY suggestion at all... I will be back in half an hour or so to check, but like I say, i am very limted on the time...

Thankyou, in advance, Inferno
08-04-2006 11:17 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
alexp2_ad
Scripting Contest Winner

Who love the chocolate?

36 / Male / –
RE: ***** URGENT, PLEASE HELP ME WITH MY PC, COULD AFFECT MY NEW JOB & CURRENT REDUANCY
Try using your windows disc to do a system recovery.
08-04-2006 11:27 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
GiantSpider
Veteran Member

34 / Male / Flag
RE: ***** URGENT, PLEASE HELP ME WITH MY PC, COULD AFFECT MY NEW JOB & CURRENT REDUANCY
Yeah, as long as whatever you need isn't on the partition windows is, then you can just re-install windows & keep you documents.

Also have a look here. Might help.
08-04-2006 11:46 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
MC Inferno
Veteran Member

www.mcinferno.co.uk

35 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: ***** URGENT, PLEASE HELP ME WITH MY PC, COULD AFFECT MY NEW JOB & CURRENT REDUANCY
I'm not too sure wer my windos XP disc is.... couple of Q's.

1. how do i access BIOS
2. i have 3 E-Machines Cd's... will these help, coz they have the microsoft sticker of authientcity on them? I tried putting them in the ROM, but they never loaded
3. do i DEFO need the XP disc?
4. any other ideas... theres sum work i was doin jus prior to this (eg, i have backed this up yet) which is priceless to me
08-05-2006 12:00 AM
Adeptus

Do the following before you attempt anything else:

1) Boot from a Windows CD. 

2) At the first blue Windows setup screen, press R.

3) At the recovery console's C:\ prompt you should get next, type "chkdsk /r" and let it do its work (which could take quite a while depending on your filesystem's size and condition).

4) When finished, type "exit" and reboot without the CD.  If we are lucky, Windows may start and work just fine.

5) If you aren't so lucky and still can't boot from the hard drive, boot the Windows CD again, but this time proceed with the repair install instructions GiantSpider linked you to.

It is quite important that you run chkdsk /r first.  If you do not and proceed straight to repair install, it is much more likely the repair install will fail and you will be eventually forced to format the partition, losing data.

EDIT: To enter BIOS setup on an e-Machine, press the Delete key right after you turn it on.

This post was edited on 08-05-2006 at 12:06 AM by Adeptus.
08-05-2006 12:02 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
MC Inferno
Veteran Member

www.mcinferno.co.uk

35 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: ***** URGENT, PLEASE HELP ME WITH MY PC, COULD AFFECT MY NEW JOB & CURRENT REDUANCY
quote:
Originally posted by Adeptus
Do the following before you attempt anything else:

1) Boot from a Windows CD. 

2) At the first blue Windows setup screen, press R.

3) At the recovery console's C:\ prompt you should get next, type "chkdsk /r" and let it do its work (which could take quite a while depending on your filesystem's size and condition).

4) When finished, type "exit" and reboot without the CD.  If we are lucky, Windows may start and work just fine.

5) If you aren't so lucky and still can't boot from the hard drive, boot the Windows CD again, but this time proceed with the repair install instructions GiantSpider linked you to.

It is quite important that you run chkdsk /r first.  If you do not and proceed straight to repair install, it is much more likely the repair install will fail and you will be eventually forced to format the partition, losing data.

EDIT: To enter BIOS setup on an e-Machine, press the Delete key right after you turn it on.

omfg, thankyou that worked! i thought I'd lose everything!

(begins to back up all info... :P) lol

once again, to everyone that replied, thankyou!
08-05-2006 04:33 PM
ryxdp

29 / Male / Flag
RE: ***** URGENT, PLEASE HELP ME WITH MY PC, COULD AFFECT MY NEW JOB & CURRENT REDUAN
UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME you say? that sounded like a BIOS interference to me, good thing you can access BIOS by pressing DEL on startup.

Hooray for Microsoft, you're so clever, letting us access BIOS on a regular basis to figure out head-scratching puzzles
:type:
08-07-2006 05:18 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: