What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! General » AIM plugin

Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
AIM plugin
Author: Message:
inoesomestuff

O.P. AIM plugin
Hi, i was wondering if anyone has tried to make a plugin for Msg+ that would allow MSN to chat with users from AIM. i thought about this because MSN is now allowing yahoo users and would it be possible to spoof that so it woudl connect to AIM and allow basic features like chat and sendfile. the plugin for this i think wouldnt be too big because i used something called TerraIM (http://terraim.sourceforge.net/) that is a standalone program that connects to AIM network and the file is under a meg
~nothing to say~
[Image: lost.jpg]
08-23-2006 12:17 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Hank
Banned

– / – / Flag
RE: AIM plugin
cant be done
08-23-2006 12:20 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
brian

– / Male / –
RE: RE: AIM plugin
quote:
Originally posted by HSV
cant be done

Try to make less spammy and more helpful posts.  Atleast take the time to use punctuation.

inoesomestuff: http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=62721 for things that scripts can't do.
08-23-2006 12:36 AM
RaceProUK
Elite Member

39 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by inoesomestuff
Hi, i was wondering if anyone has tried to make a plugin for Msg+ that would allow MSN to chat with users from AIM. i thought about this because MSN is now allowing yahoo users and would it be possible to spoof that so it woudl connect to AIM and allow basic features like chat and sendfile. the plugin for this i think wouldnt be too big because i used something called TerraIM (http://terraim.sourceforge.net/) that is a standalone program that connects to AIM network and the file is under a meg
The funny thing is, the very first versions of MSN Messenger could use the AIM network. However, AOL closed their network off to Microsoft, and have never re-opened it.

There are some multi-protocol clients out there, programs like Trillian, gAIM et al. These allow you to sign in simultaneously on Windows Live Messenger, Y!IM and AIM, among other networks. Though you do have to have an account on each network you want to use, obviously.
[Image: spartaafk.png]
08-23-2006 10:48 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
absorbation
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
It's all about the protocol and companies allowing other companies to connect to it. MSN Messenger and Yahoo! share the same protocol (SIMPLE) and AOL and Google share the same protocol (XMPP). That's why Microsoft chose Yahoo! to have it's integration with and not another company, the same applies to Yahoo! and Google.

When I say share, I mean they use that protocol system, they don't share the same servers etc together :P
08-23-2006 10:55 AM
RaceProUK
Elite Member

39 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by absorbation
MSN Messenger and Yahoo! share the same protocol (SIMPLE)
MSN Messenger uses MSNP, not SIMPLE. I don't know what Yahoo! uses, but it won't be MSNP. The interop is between the two networks using a mapping between the protocols.
08-23-2006 11:27 AM
ShawnZ
Veteran Member

32 / Male / Flag
quote:
AOL and Google share the same protocol (XMPP).

Google uses jabber...
Spoiler:
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
08-23-2006 11:31 AM
MattyRid
Veteran Member

Red Bull Racing Australia

– / Male / Flag
Perhaps someone could make a stand alone program like IMTiger. However, IMTiger is only for versions upto 7.5, so does anyone know if they are going to update it?

This post was edited on 08-23-2006 at 11:33 AM by MattyRid.
Red Bull Racing Australia - Triple Eight Race Engineering - Holden
08-23-2006 11:33 AM
Volv
Skinning Contest Winner

34 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by RaceProUK
quote:
MSN Messenger and Yahoo! share the same protocol (SIMPLE)
MSN Messenger uses MSNP, not SIMPLE. I don't know what Yahoo! uses, but it won't be MSNP. The interop is between the two networks using a mapping between the protocols.

quote:
Originally posted by ShawnZ
quote:
AOL and Google share the same protocol (XMPP).

Google uses jabber...

I don't think SIMPLE is a defined protocol, I believe it's more like a protocol design technique (NB: I suck at explaining stuff) which both MSN and Yahoo utilise making it relatively easy for their two specific protocols to translate into one another.
Similarly, Jabber is based on XMPP or vice versa - not sure.

EDIT: Well here's what Wikipedia had to say:
quote:
Originally posted by Wikipedia
In computing, SIMPLE (Session Initiation Protocol for Instant Messaging and Presence Leveraging Extensions) is an instant messaging (IM) and presence protocol suite based on Session Initiation Protocol (SIP). Like XMPP, and in contrast to the vast majority of IM and presence protocols used by software deployed today, SIMPLE is an open standard.

SIMPLE applies the SIP to the problems of:
- Registering for presence information and receiving notifications when such events occur, for example when a user logs-in or comes back from lunch.
- Managing a session of real-time messages between two or more participants.

As of 2006, SIMPLE was IETF work in progress, taking place in the simple workgroup. Some parts have been standardized, e.g. RFC 3428. Other parts, in particular IM sessions, are still under discussion. However, several implementations are already available, notably including the Microsoft Windows Messenger.

SIMPLE is not the only IM protocol suite being developed within the IETF. XMPP, based on the Jabber technology, is a competitor

Despite its name, SIMPLE is not simple. It is defined by about 30 documents or more than 1000 pages (7 times more than HTTP 1.1, 15 times more than SMTP and IRC).

This post was edited on 08-23-2006 at 11:51 AM by Volv.
08-23-2006 11:36 AM
RaceProUK
Elite Member

39 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Volv
I don't think SIMPLE is a defined protocol, I believe it's more like a protocol design technique
I think you're right:
SIMPLE
08-23-2006 11:47 AM
Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: