What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » WMP Problem/MPEG Problem.

WMP Problem/MPEG Problem.
Author: Message:
Ash_

34 / Male / –
O.P. WMP Problem/MPEG Problem.
to play the games i wanna play i need to be able to view an MPEG video but all video players i use (WMP/DivX player and VLC) freeze everything up. i've tried several different videos and formats and everything freezes my whole pc, including blank video files = /.

any advice, im in the middle of downloading SP2 atm but i dont know if it will definately solve the problem. after searching the only results i could come up with was picture freezing, not the whole PC.

any help is appreciated, thanks.
[Image: jeansiger5.jpg]
10-09-2006 05:09 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
rav0
Veteran Member

i have an avatar

34 / Male / Flag
RE: WMP Problem/MPEG Problem.
This is very strange since you have the problem in both WMP and VLC. I suggest that you try updating your graphics drivers. It seems to me that the problem is with overlays and not actually with video.

This post was edited on 10-11-2006 at 03:02 AM by rav0.
| [Image: dorsh] |

(\ /)
(O.o)
(> <)

This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination
10-10-2006 09:29 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Ash_

34 / Male / –
O.P. RE: WMP Problem/MPEG Problem.
yeh theyre update, i know whats causing the problem its direct x 9.0. i start of with 8.1 installed and all MPEGs and DVDs and everything works fine but when i install DirectX 9 the comp freezes up when i try to play movie files.

= / its really lame because i need DirectX 9 to play The Guild 2 = /
10-10-2006 01:23 PM
brian

– / Male / –
RE: WMP Problem/MPEG Problem.
Go to your Desktop, right click & choose Properties, go to the Settings tab, click on Advanced and go to the "Troubleshoot" tab.

What are the settings?  The slider should be at the max, if it it's not, set it to MAX and try again.  If it is at max, take it a notch back and try again.
10-10-2006 05:43 PM
Ash_

34 / Male / –
quote:
Originally posted by brian
Go to your Desktop, right click & choose Properties, go to the Settings tab, click on Advanced and go to the "Troubleshoot" tab.

What are the settings?  The slider should be at the max, if it it's not, set it to MAX and try again.  If it is at max, take it a notch back and try again.

didnt work at first but i kept on sliding the notch down and eventaully it worked. thanks alot! just a question will i have to keep these settings from now on or will something come out to fix the problem?
10-11-2006 04:50 AM
rav0
Veteran Member

i have an avatar

34 / Male / Flag
RE: RE: WMP Problem/MPEG Problem.
quote:
Originally posted by Ash_
l i have to keep these settings from now on or will something come out to fix the problem?
You'll have to keep the settings for now. I expect that an update to DirectX or your graphics drivers will fix the problem.

Do you have the latest DirectX? It's 9.0c, there has been other 9.0 versions before that.

This post was edited on 10-12-2006 at 07:50 AM by rav0.

(\ /)
(O.o)
(> <)

This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination
10-11-2006 05:23 AM
Ash_

34 / Male / –
quote:
Originally posted by rav0
You'll have to keep the settings for now. I expect that an update to DirectX or your graphics drivers will fix the problem.

Do you have the latest DirectX? It's 9.0c, there has been ofther 9.0 versions before that.

yeh i have 9.0c on atm ive tried 9.0b aswell. for now ill just have to turn off the acceleration when i wanna watch videos and turn it on for gaming.
10-12-2006 05:26 AM
rav0
Veteran Member

i have an avatar

34 / Male / Flag
RE: RE: WMP Problem/MPEG Problem.
quote:
Originally posted by Ash_
ill just have to turn off the acceleration when i wanna watch videos and turn it on for gaming.
You can leave it enabled (full hardware acceleration) in the adaptor settings, but configure your video player to not use it.

(\ /)
(O.o)
(> <)

10-12-2006 07:52 AM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: