What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Skype & Live Messenger » Webcam calls disconnect after 30 seconds

Webcam calls disconnect after 30 seconds
Author: Message:
dreww88

O.P. Huh?  Webcam calls disconnect after 30 seconds
I have recently helped a family member install Windows Live Messenger and a Logitech web cam 5000. Intallation of both went well and with problems. However, when we try to connect via video call we keep getting disconnected after 30 seconds. The video and audio is great quality on both sides but for some reason it freezes and then a message appears saying the video call has ended.

I have looked at all the usual suspects such as Norton antivirus to make sure the program is allowed as well as Windows XP firewall. This family member has DSL so I don't think it is a problem with speed or bandwidth. They have the lastest version of WLM and drivers for the camera. At this point, I have no more ideas. If anyone has experienced this problem or knows how to fix this, I would greatly appreciate the help.
10-16-2006 04:28 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Hank
Banned

– / – / Flag
RE: Webcam calls disconnect after 30 seconds
have you tried Disabling Norton an then doing the Video call?
10-16-2006 05:09 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
dreww88

O.P. RE: Webcam calls disconnect after 30 seconds
HSV,

I have disabled Norton Antivirus but the video call still disconnects. I have also tried with the firewall disabled but no luck either.:(
10-16-2006 05:14 AM
kittymew

Bitten By A snowball in hell!

– / Female / –
try reinstalling ?
10-16-2006 05:34 AM
dreww88

BKitty,

I have not tried reinstalling because every other feature in WLM is working without a problem. It seems like there is just some small item that I am overlooking that is preventing the video call from staying connected.
10-16-2006 01:42 PM
kittymew

– / Female / –
RE: RE: Webcam calls disconnect after 30 seconds
quote:
Originally posted by dreww88
BKitty,

I have not tried reinstalling because every other feature in WLM is working without a problem. It seems like there is just some small item that I am overlooking that is preventing the video call from staying connected.

3 questions...
Is it just one person (account)that is  trying to view their camera on wlm?

Or is it multiple users that are tryng to view it and the disconnection happens?

Try and see what happens if its the former if you have other users of wlm try and see it...

What is the "error message you/they get or message "that comes up when it disconnects.on the other end..the person trying to view it is it the same as the message the camera owner gets..?

It still "may"be WLM problem ...reinstallation may help..no harm trying ...and reinstallation of the software for the camera as well.."after" you reinstall fresh WLM.

:)

This post was edited on 10-16-2006 at 10:10 PM by kittymew.
10-16-2006 10:08 PM
dreww88

BKitty,

To answer your questions, it is just one person trying to connect to me and other friends that is experiencing the disconnect. The call disconnects regardless of who they call.

I can connect to other family members just fine without any problem. Whatever the issue, it is isolated to this one computer/account.

Regarding the error message, there are no messages that appear after the disconnect. The video and audio freezes after 20-30 seconds and then the webcam view from both cameras close. Then you see the message that says "your video call has ended". It acts like one of us has deliberately ended the call.  We can continue to text message each other with out problems.

At this point, I guess our only option might be to reinstall the logitech camera software again and see if that fixes the problem.

10-17-2006 02:42 AM
gaara4000

yea same here i cant see my webcam after the 30 or so sec and same for contacts HELP NOW PLEASE
10-22-2006 03:13 PM
dreww88

Well, I have walked my contact thru a reinstall of both the Logitech camera software and the WLM. Neither fixed the problem of the 30 second connection. Even tried disabling the firewall on both sides but no luck. At this point, I would greatly appreciate any thoughts on the matter.
10-22-2006 11:06 PM
kittymew

– / Female / –
Maybe the software that came with the logitech camera is corrupted..can you download the programme from the internet or get another disc and see if that is the problem...
Or can you maybe install the camera on your computer and see if it works on yours ?if so it has to be the connection
if not its the software ..
10-23-2006 01:02 AM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: