What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Skype & Live Messenger » Windows Live Messenger BIG PROBLEM!

Pages: (3): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 » Last »
Windows Live Messenger BIG PROBLEM!
Author: Message:
dishguy06

O.P. RE: Windows Live Messenger BIG PROBLEM!
Thanks a bunch guys!
Hopefully WLM 8.1 will be better....so I guess back to 7.5 then :(
11-11-2006 11:26 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
Completely remove (MSN/Windows Live) Messenger
Have you already tried to completely remove Windows Live Messenger? But also completely removed the registry settings before reinstalling?

----------------

If you have problems installing Windows Live Messenger, you could first try the small utility named ZapMessenger created by TReKiE. It removes the application files of Windows Live Messenger, MSN Messenger and Windows Messenger 5.x. It does not (yet) remove your personal settings like your display picture, custom emoticons, etc

http://messengergeek.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!E37...81BBDA1!1118.entry

----------------

The following manual instructions are complementary to ZapMessenger and will erase all Messenger related data on your computer (this may include Messenger related data of other people who use your computer as well).

Please don't skip any step:
  1. Close all instances of Messenger completely.
    You can only do this by right clicking on its system icon and choosing "Exit".
    Simply closing the contact list window will not exit Messenger.

2. Remove any other Messenger related addon (like SmileyCentral, SweetIM, MSN Content Plus, Messenger Discovery, MSNShell, etc).

3. Remove Windows Live Messenger and/or MSN Messenger via your Windows Control Panel and "Add/Remove Programs".

For MSN Messenger, the entry is called "MSN Messenger".
    For Windows Live Messenger 8.5 and below (and the beta versions of Windows Live Messenger 2009), the entry is called "Windows Live Messenger".
    For Windows Live Messener 2009 and upwards, the entry is called "Windows Live Essentials".
    Follow the given instructions carefully.

4. Use the tool ZapMessenger to completely remove all the traces of the Messenger installers.

5. Run the following registry file (download the file, save it to a folder and make sure it retains its reg extension, double-click it to execute it). It will completely remove your registry settings for MSN Messenger and Windows Live Messenger (note: you will of course loose all your settings):
    http://home.scarlet.be/~tsf54471/msn/delete_msn_wlm.reg

6. Open Windows Explorer (Start > Run > explorer.exe) and make sure you can view all hidden and system files:
    Tools menu > Folder Options item > View tab > Advanced Settings list > Hidden files and folders > enable "Show hidden files and folders" and disable "Hide extensions for known file types".

7. Remove all the cache and storage directories used by Messenger (if they still exist).

for XP, including, but not limited to:
    C:\Documents and Settings\your_username\Application Data\Microsoft\MSN Messenger\
    C:\Documents and Settings\your_username\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows Live Call\
    C:\Documents and Settings\your_username\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows Messenger\
    C:\Documents and Settings\your_username\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows Live Contacts\
    C:\Documents and Settings\your_username\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Messenger\
    C:\Documents and Settings\your_username\Contacts\
    C:\Windows\Temp\MessengerCache\

for Vista/Win7, including, but not limited to:
    C:\Users\your_username\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\MSN Messenger\
    C:\Users\your_username\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows Live Call\
    C:\Users\your_username\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows Messenger\
    C:\Users\your_username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Live Contacts\
    C:\Users\your_username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Messenger\
    C:\Users\your_username\AppData\Local\Temp\MessengerCache\
    C:\Users\your_username\AppData\Local\Temp\MsgrTemp
    C:\Users\your_username\Contacts\

And the main folders:
    C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\
    C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Messenger\
    C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Contacts\
    C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Installer\

note: "C:\Documents and Settings\...", "C:\Program Files", "C:\Windows\Temp" may be named differently on your computer and depend on the used OS. If so, find the appropriate root directories.

You can do this by going to you command prompt (Start > Run > cmd) and type "CD xxxx" where xxxx can be:
    %programfiles%          to go to your "Program Files" or "Programs" folder
    %temp% or %tmp%    to go to your "Temp" folder
    %userprofile%             to go to your "User Profile" folder

8. Reboot your computer

9. Make sure you don't have any programs which might block Messenger from installing and running, like internet security software, firewalls, anti-virus software, etc...
    If you do have such software, disable it temporarly or set its options and properties properly. For example: your firewall might be blocking Messenger or a specific version of Messenger. Or the AVG anti-virus program might be set up to "protect" Messenger or one of its versions and in doing so blocking some needed stuff.

10. Clear your browser cache completely. Instructions can be found here:
    http://kb.iu.edu/data/ahic.html

11. Redownload and reinstall Messenger
      MSN Messenger 7.0.0820 can be found here
      MSN Messenger 7.5 is not supported anymore by MS.
      Windows Live Messenger 8.0 is not supported anymore by MS.
      Windows Live Messenger 8.1 is not supported anymore by MS.
      Windows Live Messenger 8.5 is not supported anymore by MS.
      Windows Live Messenger 14.0.8092.0805 (2009) can be found here.
      All above links point to the official Microsoft Download Center - official number one source (please do not download from 3rd party sites)

Latest version can always be found here.

This post was edited on 12-30-2010 at 04:17 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
11-12-2006 03:26 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
dishguy06

O.P. RE: Windows Live Messenger BIG PROBLEM!
Thanks cookie, I will try this when I get home tonight.
11-12-2006 04:51 PM
asairel

-=uNnAmEd W!tCh=-

– / Female / –
RE: Windows Live Messenger BIG PROBLEM!
doestn work T_T argh waaaaaaa huhuhu.. any other tries? this is getting >.<
[Image: ate3fg7.gif]
how do you hold on to someone you've never met?
01-20-2007 02:30 PM
Big0ne

Do you have hotmail account?

My gf had same problem before. Seems fixed since she switched to gmail.
01-21-2007 12:22 AM
asairel

-=uNnAmEd W!tCh=-

– / Female / –
i have hotmail account of course.. but it disconnect my net connection everytime i log it in... :/
[Image: ate3fg7.gif]
how do you hold on to someone you've never met?
01-21-2007 12:17 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Big0ne
Do you have hotmail account?

My gf had same problem before. Seems fixed since she switched to gmail.
What type of account you have shouldn't matter at all...

Problems can exist with all kinds of accounts. The reason why it seems to be solved is probably because that gmail account connects to a slightly different server (MSN has a massive amount of servers to spread the load) which is more reliable to your location. But this can be said the same of hotmail accounts too.

Another reason can be that by the time you switched to the gmail account the actual problems were solved. Aka: if you had that gmail account during the time you had problems with that hotmail account, you would have had problems with the gmail account too.

All in all, it is not a good move to switch accounts like that and certainly not to create yet other accounts. This will never solve the actual problems, you just work around existing problems. If you want to solve the problems you better contact Microsoft/MSN about it so such issues can be resolved for you and for others.

As for asairel, please keep it to one thread ;) You've made different threads about your problems and it is hard for anyone to keep track of what you already tried or didn't try in that way...

For the both of you, and anyone else experiencing login problems, read http://messengersays.spaces.live.com/Blog/cns!5B4...30829E!25195.entry
Also, contact MSN and describe your problems in as much details as possible, that is the only way how the MSN service can be made better. Again, creating other accounts doesn't solve anything, it is just a workaround..

I hope it gets solved  ;)

This post was edited on 03-02-2008 at 01:43 AM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
01-27-2007 03:24 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
A Poo On Toast

Learn 2 Play

– / Other / –
RE: Completely remove (MSN/Windows Live) Messenger
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
Have you already tried to completely remove Windows Live Messenger? But also completely removed the registry settings before reinstalling?

These instructions will erase all Messenger related data on your computer (this may include Messenger related data of other people who use your computer as well).

Please don't skip any step:
  1. Close all instances of Messenger completely.

2. Remove any other Messenger related addon (like SmileyCentral, SweetIM, etc)

3. Remove Windows Live Messenger and/or MSN Messenger via your Windows Control Panel and "Add/Remove Programs".

4. Run the following registry file. It will completely remove your registry settings for MSN Messenger and Windows Live Messenger (note: you will of course loose your settings):
    http://home.scarlet.be/~tsf54471/msn/delete_msn_wlm.reg

5. Open Windows Explorer (Start > Run > explorer.exe) and make sure you can view all hidden and system files:
    Tools menu > Folder Options item > View tab > Advanced Settings list > Hidden files and folders > enable "Show hidden files and folders" and disable "Hide extensions for known file types".

6. Remove all the cache and storage directories used by Messenger (if they still exist):

C:\Documents and Settings\your_username\Application Data\Microsoft\MSN Messenger\
    C:\Documents and Settings\your_username\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows Live Call\
    C:\Documents and Settings\your_username\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows Messenger\
    C:\Documents and Settings\your_username\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows Live Contacts\
    C:\Documents and Settings\your_username\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Messenger\
    C:\Documents and Settings\your_username\Contacts\
    C:\Windows\Temp\MessengerCache\

and the main folder:
    C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\

note: "C:\Documents and Settings\...", "C:\Program Files", "C:\Windows\Temp" may be named differently on your computer. If so, find the appropriate root directories.

You can do this by going to you command prompt (Start > Run > cmd) and type "CD xxxx" where xxxx can be:
    %programfiles%          to go to your "C:\Program Files\"
    %temp% or %tmp%    to go to your "C:\Windows\Temp\"
    %userprofile%             to go to your "C:\Documents and Settings\your_username\"

7. Reboot your computer

8. Make sure you don't have any programs which might block Messenger from installing and running, like internet security software, firewalls, etc...

9. If not already done, clear your browser cache completely. Instructions can be found here:
    http://support.lexis-nexis.com/nexis/Record.asp?ARTICLEID=wg_cache
    https://kb.iu.edu/data/ahic.html

10. Redownload and reinstall Windows Live Messenger
      Windows Live Messenger 8.0.0812:
      http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?F...-af6d-48dd23026b9d
    or
      Windows Live Messenger 8.1.0xxx Beta:
      http://ideas.live.com/programpage.aspx?versionid=...-98ac-b37d7ccd5617

hey cookie i followed your guide right and now it wont even let me log into msn... any help ???
01-30-2007 02:33 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
ElBuho

– / Male / Flag
Thanks Cookie! I have made progress... but still same error message...Please see my thread at: http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=93862
I apologize for posting here when I have my own thread, but the reason being is cause I followeed the steps in this thread and I was finally able to uninstall and reinstall Windows live Messenger. However, when I tried to log in again the infamous error code poped up again...:@

I also cant completely close messenger unles I reestart my computer...aghhh!+o(

This post was edited on 02-17-2010 at 09:59 PM by ElBuho.
"A Windows user spends 1/3 of his life sleeping, 1/3 working, 1/3 waiting."
02-17-2010 09:51 PM
Xalifhs

ehmmmm how i use the file from.. http://home.scarlet.be/~tsf54471/msn/delete_msn_wlm.reg ?? it downloads it as a txt file :S
02-21-2010 07:47 PM
Pages: (3): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: