What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » DVD-RW Drive Start-Auto Playing [Please Help - Not Solved]

Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
DVD-RW Drive Start-Auto Playing [Please Help - Not Solved]
Author: Message:
_Humphreys
Veteran Member

24 / – / Flag
O.P. DVD-RW Drive Start-Auto Playing [Please Help - Not Solved]
I have recently took some drives out of a PC and put them into a new one. Everything was fine but then recently if a disc has been left in the top drive it auto starts when Windows XP starts up. No PC I have had before has done this.

I googled a while and found the reg-editing solution and changed the value of auto-running from 1 (enable auto-run) to 0 (disable auto-run). I restarted Windows as told to and still Windows auto-runs what CD/DVD is in the drive.

Er...help?

Windows XP SP2
DVD-RW Drive

Also a screenshot of my registry:

[Image: attachment.php?pid=770715]
click the screenshot to enlarge the image

.jpg File Attachment: Reg.jpg (189.46 KB)
This file has been downloaded 1313 time(s).

This post was edited on 12-30-2006 at 01:58 AM by _Humphreys.
AC3
12-29-2006 11:52 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Spunky
Former Super Mod

35 / Male / Flag
RE: DVD-RW Drive Start-Auto Playing - Please Help
Did you change autorun for the right drive and are there any more instances of that key anywhere else in the registry?

Also, why go through the registry at all? Doesn't XP give you the option to choose Autorun default action? Just set it to "Do Nothing"
<Eljay> "Problems encountered: shit blew up" :zippy:
12-29-2006 11:58 PM
_Humphreys
Veteran Member

24 / – / Flag
O.P. RE: DVD-RW Drive Start-Auto Playing - Please Help
quote:
Originally posted by SpunkyLoveMuff
Did you change autorun for the right drive and are there any more instances of that key anywhere else in the registry?

The auto-run system seems to run the same for the 'x' number of drives you have.

quote:
Originally posted by SpunkyLoveMuff
Also, why go through the registry at all? Doesn't XP give you the option to choose Autorun default action? Just set it to "Do Nothing"

I have done that, it doesn't stop Windows XP running the disc's auto-run file.

This post was edited on 12-30-2006 at 12:17 AM by _Humphreys.
AC3
12-30-2006 12:16 AM
ryxdp

29 / Male / Flag
RE: DVD-RW Drive Start-Auto Playing [Please Help - Not Solved]
I dunno if this will work (it did for me when i was throwing XP on an old P3 machine) but try putting the drive's jumper setting to master or slave or something. This will only work if you have it set to cable select. As I said, it probably isn't the case, but if it is, thank me :P lol
12-30-2006 02:39 AM
_Humphreys
Veteran Member

24 / – / Flag
O.P. RE: DVD-RW Drive Start-Auto Playing [Please Help - Not Solved]
quote:
Originally posted by Snaal Sevool Snr.
I dunno if this will work (it did for me when i was throwing XP on an old P3 machine) but try putting the drive's jumper setting to master or slave or something. This will only work if you have it set to cable select. As I said, it probably isn't the case, but if it is, thank me (Smilie) lol

I know how to do that and I would if I feel that would work. I just don't see how that would work when it did not auto-start for a month or two but then started without any hardware changes. Thank you all the same.

This post was edited on 12-30-2006 at 03:21 AM by _Humphreys.
AC3
12-30-2006 03:18 AM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Snaal Sevool Snr.
I dunno if this will work (it did for me when i was throwing XP on an old P3 machine) but try putting the drive's jumper setting to master or slave or something. This will only work if you have it set to cable select. As I said, it probably isn't the case, but if it is, thank me (Smilie) lol
this doesn't have anything todo with it. The reason why it worked for you is because by changing the jumper you actually changed the internal drive letter, which most likely had a different autorun/autoplay setting.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Carltos Cool,

For starters there is a difference between the term AutoPlay and AutoRun.

AutoPlay is about the Windows dialog which pops up where you can choose what you want to do. eg: "Play this CD with WMP", "Burn files to this disc with Nero", etc

AutoRun is about informing windows there is a new media inserted, so that Windows can update the contents of Windows Explorer, etc. It also updates the icon of the CD in Windows explorer. It is also responsible for executing startup entries like autorun.inf on CDROMs, and to execute the autoplay settings.

What you want to change is the autoplay settings, not the autorun settings.

---------------------------------------------

Second, the registry keys:
You are changing the wrong keys and in the wrong location.

AutoRun
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdrom

This is not to enable/disable autoplay as you might think, but to enable/disable autorun, which is quite different.

It is to enable and disable Windows from knowing that the CD/DVD has been changed by the user. If set to 0 it suppresses the Media Change Notification (MCN) internal message. Aka: it doesn't inform Windows Explorer that a new media has been inserted so that the contents in Windows Explorer and other programs like Windows Media Player, can be updated. It is not recommended to set this to 0 (disabled).

AutoRunAlwaysDisable

This key works together with AutoRun and takes precedence over it and defines which individual drives to include or exclude from the autorun list. This is also not recommended to tamper with.

NoDriveTypeAutoRun
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer

Enable/Disable autoplay for different drive type groups.
This continues the Media Change Notification (MCN) internal Windows message being sent, but the autoplay actions you choose through the My Computer > right click > properties > autoplay tab won't work. This is also what TweakUI and the Group Policy Editor (gpedit.msc) set.

Use this key to disable the autoplay option for cdroms/dvds, fixed drives, network drives, ram drives, etc.

It is best to use TweakUI (XP Home) or Group Policy Editor (XP Pro) to set this key properly.

NoDriveAutoRun
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer

This key works together with NoDriveTypeAutoRun and defines which individual drives to exclude from the autoplay list.

It is best to use TweakUI (XP Home) or Group Policy Editor (XP Pro) to set this key properly.

So, for starters revert anything you changed. Thus put AutoRun back to 1.
Then install TweakUI to set the proper settings in the menu My Computer > AutoPlay > Drives.

Sincerely,

CookieRevised

december 30th 2006    -     Happy New Year

:P

This post was edited on 12-30-2006 at 11:34 AM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
12-30-2006 11:25 AM
_Humphreys
Veteran Member

24 / – / Flag
I downloaded TweakUI and unticked auto-play for my two DVD drives and still any CD/DVD left in my top drive auto-plays upon start-up of Windows.

[Image: attachment.php?pid=770910]
click the screenshot to enlarge the image

.jpg File Attachment: Tweak.JPG (110.09 KB)
This file has been downloaded 1246 time(s).

This post was edited on 12-30-2006 at 03:01 PM by _Humphreys.
AC3
12-30-2006 02:59 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
Then you did something wrong...

Sorry, but it is as simple as that actually... The info I gave is everything there is about it, there is nothing more.

And actually after seeing your screenshot, you indeed got it wrong...

That office startup application is NOT "autoplay", but "autorun" and what you changed now is "autoplay", not "autorun".

Reread my post again... more carefully this time ;)

Especially:
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
For starters there is a difference between the term AutoPlay and AutoRun.

AutoPlay is about the Windows dialog which pops up where you can choose what you want to do. eg: "Play this CD with WMP", "Burn files to this disc with Nero", etc

AutoRun is about informing windows there is a new media inserted, so that Windows can update the contents of Windows Explorer, etc. It also updates the icon of the CD in Windows explorer. It is also responsible for executing startup entries like autorun.inf on CDROMs, and to execute the autoplay settings.

And second, did you reboot?

This post was edited on 12-30-2006 at 04:37 PM by CookieRevised.
12-30-2006 04:26 PM
_Humphreys
Veteran Member

24 / – / Flag
I am not bothered about Windows asking me what to do with a disc when I insert it what I am bothered about is Windows reading the "AutoRun.ini" file on my CDs and DVDs at the initalisation of Windows and then launching the programs "AutoRun.ini" told it too.

quote:
Originally posted by Cookie

Second, the registry keys:
You are changing the wrong keys and in the wrong location.

AutoRun

This is not to enable/disable autoplay as you might think, but to enable/disable autorun, which is quite different.

I want to disable auto-run if that's what is causing my Microsoft Office disc to start up when Windows does. I read that you change the "AutoRun" key value to 0 to disable it so I changed the value from 1 to 0 although it did not work.

quote:
Originally posted by Cookie
And second, did you reboot?

:P Yes I did.

Sorry if I did not make myself clear the first time.

This post was edited on 12-30-2006 at 06:13 PM by _Humphreys.
AC3
12-30-2006 05:40 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
In that case:
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
AutoRunAlwaysDisable

This key works together with AutoRun and takes precedence over it and defines which individual drives to include or exclude from the autorun list. This is also not recommended to tamper with.

And for more detailed info click the links of the registry keys listed.

Also search for all the occurances of registry keys. The paths listed in my post are the dfault ones. It migt be possible that they are overwritten each time you start your computer by another hive. eg: for NoDriveTypeAutoRun and NoDriveAutoRun by HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer

This post was edited on 12-30-2006 at 07:33 PM by CookieRevised.
12-30-2006 07:17 PM
Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: