What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » Scripting » Dear scripters, please read! Some command guidelines.

Pages: (4): « First [ 1 ] 2 3 4 » Last »
Dear scripters, please read! Some command guidelines.
Author: Message:
Sunshine
Elite Member

– / Female / Flag
O.P. Dear scripters, please read! Some command guidelines.
It has come to my attention that there are some incompatibilities between formatting scripts and other scripts and add-ons.

The problem lies in the fact that formatting scripts put tags infront of commands too (sentences starting with ! or /), wich causes those commands not to be executed.

So if you guys could put in somehow to ignore sentences starting with ! or / all those problems will be solved.

Thank you.

Summary
Here's a listing/advice of/on how i think things should be (in order to try and set some standards and prevent conflicts):
  • Scripts:
  • User commands should always start with "/" (use of anything else is discouraged)
  • Remote commands should start with "!" (again please make this the standard, don't use anything else)
  • To prevent troubles executing any command sentences beginning with "/" and "!" should be ignored in (message)formatting scripts.
  • Other add-ons:
  • Should/have to use "!" for their commands as a standard in order to not conflict with Messenger Plus! Live user commands (this is the only time "!" should be used for anything else than a remote command)

This post was edited on 01-09-2007 at 11:11 AM by Sunshine.
[Image: 25dr3o9]
01-07-2007 02:52 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
NanaFreak
Scripting Contest Winner

32 / Male / Flag
RE: IMPORTANT! Dear scripters, please read!
well the only problem with MC!L is the ! commands which shouldnt be used... but i / markee will add the ! support when stuff plug becomes non-beta

;)

post below
quote:
Originally posted by Sunshine
NanaFreak, it's not just SP3 i'm on about here (that one just made me test it a bit further). There's other Plus! scripts that use ! for commands aswell wich are broken by formatting scripts (example: NowPlayin script with the !np command).

I just happened to test it with your script ;)

ah yes... will do that soon and get a release out ;)

hehe nice to see people use the script :cheesy:

This post was edited on 01-07-2007 at 03:08 PM by NanaFreak.
01-07-2007 02:55 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Sunshine
Elite Member

– / Female / Flag
O.P. RE: IMPORTANT! Dear scripters, please read!
NanaFreak, it's not just SP3 i'm on about here (that one just made me test it a bit further). There's other Plus! scripts that use ! for commands aswell wich are broken by formatting scripts (example: NowPlayin script with the !np command).

This post was edited on 01-07-2007 at 02:59 PM by Sunshine.
01-07-2007 02:58 PM
warmth
Veteran Member

Electronic Engineer

39 / Male / Flag
nice that you started this thread... maybe we can reach and agreement...
@warmth - Beta Testing a life!
Official Nokia (former Ovi) Suite Beta Tester | Nokia Beta Labs Contributor of the month (June, 2011)
01-07-2007 03:06 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Sunshine
Elite Member

– / Female / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by warmth
nice that you started this thread... maybe we can reach and agreement...
It's for the good of all. No more incompatibilities with other add-ons and other Plus! scripts. No more looking for the needle in the haystack to find wich clashes with what. No more telling ppl to disable those scripts to get around the problem..wich will, i think, in the end make that scripter happy too (incompatibilities leads to unloved..wich leads to not used/non downloaded...bad name).

;)
01-07-2007 03:16 PM
Orgrim Doomhammer

For The Horde!

34 / Male / Flag
RE: RE: IMPORTANT! Dear scripters, please read!
quote:
Originally posted by NanaFreak
well the only problem with MC!L is the ! commands which shouldnt be used... but i / markee will add the ! support when stuff plug becomes non-beta

;)

post below
quote:

ah yes... will do that soon and get a release out ;)

hehe nice to see people use the script :cheesy:

In my opinion (as I suggested Markee some days ago) you should add a ||(Message.CharAt(0)==="!") where it generates the exception 4 / commands, but this won't solve definitely the  problem, 'cuz there isn't only MC!L among the formatting scripts.
It would be best if there were no ! command at all, but this too would be difficult to achieve, because there are lots of script with !commands and because of some problems between MP!L and other addons who use /commands (read the Blasphemer's reply to this thread ). why instead not making a script with the same function used in formatting scripts to execute /commands? that should work 4 all the formatting scripts...
01-07-2007 03:35 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Menthix
forum admin

39 / Male / Flag
Please list the scripts here that are...
- Preventing other scripts from parsing commands (like sunnie said)
- Scripts that use commands starting with something else than / (for example ! or .) while they do not have to. Note that some scripts have ! commands intentionally so your contacts can trigger them, those don't need to be reported.

If any of such scripts are in the download DB i will remove them and mail the creator that his script is removed until he fixes it.

So far these are on that list:

Preventing commands from parsing
http://www.msgpluslive.net/scripts/view/87-Message-Customizer!-Live/ (will be updated in a few days) updated
http://www.msgpluslive.net/scripts/view/74-Message-Gradiator/ deleted
http://www.msgpluslive.net/scripts/view/69-Styles/ deleted

Using unnecessary ! commands instead of /

Not really related, but insecure
http://www.msgpluslive.net/scripts/view/44-The-Mocker/ (reported as insecure in another topic) deleted

(it may take a few days before i remove anything tough... i still cannot access certain things because of a harddisk crash :()

The incompatibility between StuffPlug 3 commands and some Plus! scripts that use ! commands intentionally is another story... There is nothing wrong with Plus! scripts using ! for commands when the command is supposed to be usable directly by your contacts. I think it would be best if Patchou and TB get talking together, or maybe discuss it in this topic. It should be possible to make a minor change in Plus! so SP3 can parse normal commands after Plus! without getting an error message. Or modify SP3 in a way that Plus! knows what commands SP3 use and use normal commands without errors that way.

This post was edited on 01-21-2007 at 07:04 PM by Menthix.
Finish the problem
Menthix.net | Contact Me
01-07-2007 03:37 PM
Sunshine
Elite Member

– / Female / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Orgrim Doomhammer
It would be best if there were no ! command at all...
If it's not ! then it be something else the command starts with, wich should then be excluded in message formatting scripts. For now i know ! and / are used for commands, that's why i ask to ignore sentences starting with those in such scripts.
01-07-2007 03:41 PM
NanaFreak
Scripting Contest Winner

32 / Male / Flag
ok i know 2 scripts what arent helping this problem, they are:

http://www.msgpluslive.net/scripts/view/74-Message-Gradiator/
http://www.msgpluslive.net/scripts/view/69-Styles/

;)

finally Message Gradiator will go :P
01-07-2007 03:55 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: RE: IMPORTANT! Dear scripters, please read!
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Orgrim Doomhammer
It would be best if there were no ! command at all...
If it's not ! then it be something else the command starts with
And that is the exact problem. A script should not be fixed to include all kinds of random things other people come up with to start their commands.

There should not be !commands, ^commands, $commands, commands ending with "!", etc. Commands should always start with "/", as Menthix said.

The scripts which use anything other than /commands without any proper need should be fixed, not the scripts which only interpret /commands.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
01-07-2007 04:51 PM
Pages: (4): « First [ 1 ] 2 3 4 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: