What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » General » General Chit Chat » Grandpa wont stop smoking HELP

Pages: (3): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 » Last »
Grandpa wont stop smoking HELP
Author: Message:
Rolando
Veteran Member

Santasend

33 / Male / Flag
RE: Grandpa wont stop smoking HELP
quote:
Originally posted by Steven
He tells me for me not to worry. I heard you gotta tough it out for 10 days... Should he use gum?

You should tell him what we told my dad- Him smoking damaged the persons around him more than it damages him. Try to explain that to him, I'm sure he'll feel bad and will try to stop.

http://www.smoke-free.ca/Second-Hand-Smoke/health_kids.htm
[Image: sigxmascopy.png]
01-13-2007 10:48 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Menthix
forum admin

39 / Male / Flag
My grandpa (who died about 2 years ago, not directly related to smoking) always smoked a lot too. Doctors have been telling him for years to stop or at least smoke less. He tried it a few times, but he only felt worse when doing it.

I doubt if there is really a point to stop smoking at an old age when you have heavily smoked all your life. I'm sorry to say it like this, but it's not like his lungs will suddenly heal quickly from years of smoke. From a medical point of view sure, stopping is always good, but i doubt if it's worth it mentally... that's how i at least thought about it with my own grandpa, because for him you could really see it was an addiction when he tried to stop (nasty sideeffects)

quote:
Originally posted by q25
quote:
every 5 minutes i hear the door opening and him going outside and puffing.
Finish the problem
Menthix.net | Contact Me
01-13-2007 11:28 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Nathan
Veteran Member

Yeah, "large dimensions" ;)

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by MenthiX
My grandpa (who died about 2 years ago, not directly related to smoking) always smoked a lot too. Doctors have been telling him for years to stop or at least smoke less. He tried it a few times, but he only felt worse when doing it.

I doubt if there is really a point to stop smoking at an old age when you have heavily smoked all your life. I'm sorry to say it like this, but it's not like his lungs will suddenly heal quickly from years of smoke. From a medical point of view sure, stopping is always good, but i doubt if it's worth it mentally... that's how i at least thought about it with my own grandpa, because for him you could really see it was an addiction when he tried to stop (nasty sideeffects)

quote:
Originally posted by q25
quote:
every 5 minutes i hear the door opening and him going outside and puffing.

Finally someone who agrees with me :)
Touch Innovation - touch friendly programs/applications for the windows mobile!

01-14-2007 12:03 AM
Rolando
Veteran Member

Santasend

33 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Time
Quitting smoking is easy, I've done it a thousand times.

:lol:
Shouldn't be saying jokes in a serious thread though..

Anyways..., maybe MenthiX is right and its not worth quitting and maybe its not worth quitting.. But if you can help him quit smoking without him feeling badly, go ahead.

At least your grandpa taught you to not smoke. I'm sure you'll never smoke because you had someone close to you that did, and it affected you.

The best way to quit smoking is to never start smoking

This post was edited on 01-14-2007 at 04:14 PM by Rolando.
[Image: sigxmascopy.png]
01-14-2007 04:12 PM
Eddie
Veteran Member

32 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Time
Quitting smoking is easy, I've done it a thousand times.
lol dunno if thats meant to be a joke :P but thats ooooooooooooooooooooooooold ;) still funny though :lol: but anyway in my opinion smoking is silly, and besides they have this nicorette mints and stuff like that now, so its getting easier to quit :)

But MenthiX also makes very good points *-)

This post was edited on 01-14-2007 at 04:14 PM by Eddie.
...there used to be a signature here :)
01-14-2007 04:12 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
vaccination
Veteran Member

32 / Male / –
Tell him to put it in his pipe and smoke it!
[Image: jumbled.png]
01-14-2007 06:16 PM
Nagamasa
Skinning Contest Winner

30 / Male / Flag
Express your and your family's feelings to him. Say that: you do not want him to die, Beg him to stop smoking. "Its not too late". "Do our family a favor" "I want some more fun time with you".
[Image: unled1uo.png]
Joined this forum 6546 days, 16 hours, 39 minutes, 49 seconds ago.

01-14-2007 07:52 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Voldemort
Veteran Member

– / – / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by MenthiX

Could not agree more....
*All posts are a purely speculative hypothesis based on abstract reasoning.
Not my daughter, you bitch!
[Image: ico-mollytrix16.gif]
01-14-2007 07:54 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
joey

Epoc Faileur.

33 / Other / Flag
i dont want to be spamming or anything but i think its a bit unfair on steven and maybe other who are reading this, when people are making jokes about it. its a serious matter and you'll only regret it if you smoke.

Break my heart all you want, i'm on the NHS.
ever wondered what it's like to ejaculate through your ears...? ;o
01-16-2007 12:16 PM
user27089
Disabled Account

quote:
Originally posted by ayjay
quote:
where the doctors took his leg vain and put it to his heart or something dont ask im not a doctor
Bypass surgery... probably.

quote:
Originally posted by Nathan
grandad has 2 years to live then your grandad doesnt need to stop smoking, either way he's going to die soon.
If he stops smoking, he can still extend his life.

Personally, if it were my grandad, I'd tell him how selfish he's being on the rest of his family by refusing to stop. Although if he hasn't taken the hint from being admitted to hospital and being told he has a few years left, he's probably not likely to stop.

I agree completely.

quote:
Originally posted by ichooselife128
i dont want to be spamming or anything but i think its a bit unfair on steven and maybe other who are reading this, when people are making jokes about it. its a serious matter and you'll only regret it if you smoke.

Unfortunately there are some people on this forum that don't care about others and find stuff like this funny, people who I don't like mainly :).

Just sit down with your grandad and tell him to make a decision between seeing his family or smoking, as him smoking will shorten his life so he won't see you for much longer, on the other hand he could quit smoking (go nicotine patches!!!) and not die. It annoys me that people are willing to kill themselves slowly for a few decades, because smoking is essentially legal suicide.

So basically, tell him to choose between you or his fags.

This post was edited on 01-16-2007 at 02:47 PM by user27089.
01-16-2007 02:47 PM
Pages: (3): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: