What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Laptop Reccomendation

Pages: (3): « First « 1 2 [ 3 ] Last »
Laptop Reccomendation
Author: Message:
RaceProUK
Elite Member

39 / Male / Flag
RE: Laptop Reccomendation
quote:
Originally posted by .Vimto.
I read that article about XGA but is what Voldermort said still correct ?
To a degree, yes. After all, you do get glass widescreens. I've yet to see a glass normal screen, but there's nothing to say they don't exist.
[Image: spartaafk.png]
01-16-2007 07:15 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Adeptus

.Vimto.,

This should answer most questions you might have about laptop screens and help you decide in that area.

Anyway, manufacturers design their laptop models to fit in certain categories and appeal to a particular type of user.  Each category comes with some tradeoffs and they roughly are as follows:

Budget: the main feature here is "cheap".  Usually you will get something medium sized, but neither very fast, nor particularly thin and light, nor having very good battery life.   However, you can get one for around $500 USD.

Desktop Replacement:  best performance and large screen size, but thick and heavy, with short battery life.  As the name suggests, these are intended to replace a desktop computer at home or office.  You wouldn't want to carry one with you often, and it won't last very long if you don't have a power outlet nearby, either.

Gaming: a desktop replacement with additional cost put toward a high end graphics chipset.  May also feature aesthetics targeting the audience, such as neon colors and superfluous LEDs.  :P

Thin & Light: laptops with 13-15" screens, designed for those who want a laptop they can carry.  More thought is also usually given to battery life.  Some performance tradeoffs have been made to accomplish that (usually in the areas of CPU and graphics).

Ultra Portable: very small and lightweight laptops, with screen sizes of 12" or less and usually without a built-in optical drive.

It would be a good start to think it over and decide which category would suit you best -- that will give you some idea what to look for, and will also make it easier for others to recommend specific models.
01-16-2007 09:25 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Vimto

In and Out

32 / Female / Flag
O.P. RE: Laptop Reccomendation
Thanks Adeptus :cheesy: That helped alot ... Its more understandable lolz
And when your heart begins to bleed, your dead
and dead and dead indeed.
01-16-2007 09:38 PM
Nathan
Veteran Member

Yeah, "large dimensions" ;)

– / Male / Flag
alby,
Yeah i can understand about your experience.

All i can say is that my laptop so far is awesome in build quality.
Nothing gone wrong for the past 4 months(since i got it).

There's a slight glitch in the build quality (when you press the screen once its closed hard enough it goes BEEEEP. (i presses the page scroller next to the touchpad.

@ .vimto.
Acer's are renoune for cheap build quality but its when you get a bad batch or something.
Mine has been great from day 1. It has been dropped, it has been left underneath a thic duvea cover and got upto 96*C (no joke) and it has been fine.

Most shops do a 30 day money back garuntee, try one and if you dont like it then fair enough, take it back and get another make :)

Hope this helps,
Nathan

quote:
Originally posted by RaceProUK
quote:
Originally posted by .Vimto.
I read that article about XGA but is what Voldermort said still correct ?
To a degree, yes. After all, you do get glass widescreens. I've yet to see a glass normal screen, but there's nothing to say they don't exist.
It has a kind of a shiny effect to it and obsorbs the light more to make it more clear.
I like it its really cool excpept in really bright conditions because you can focus onto the display only onto the reflection which is annyoing. But I am in engand so there's no probem there.

The other type where it has no shiny on it :refuck: i dont like. it look plain and boring to the eye and makes you stare at it.

But the XGA(shiny effect) makes you focus onto it and not stare at it ... as much.
It also amazing for playing games it enhances it so much.

=======================================================

www.notebookreview.com

Great site for once you've got your laptop they help you.

google search "Notebook Hardware Control"
Notebook Hardware Control website

That software is amazing for your laptop. You can control cpu, hdd, graphics card etc...
And is great for power saving.
Its low on resources and runs in the bg and a realy nice interface to it.

A tip for when you do get your laptop.

When you get it you'll rip open the box and turn it on and want to go on it straight away - at least that is what i did.

I regret it in away because when it comes it comes with dodgy softwae installed (sony vaio being the worst) and its a pain in the neck to uninstall it.

And some come with FAT32 partiontioned HDD and if you convert it and have more than 1GB of ram it fucks up the hibernation.

So the easiest thing to do is infact format it because later on you will almost certainly format it (a least for the computer literate users). And it will be a longer task if you wait.

So rip it open have a bit of fun with it then format it. Then you know its not full of adware (them promoting there software) and is clean.

This not only puts your mind at rest 8-) but also increase:
boot-up speed
loggin in speed
general peformace

When you get a new laptop it will have about 60 odd proccess running when infact for the bare minimum you only need 20-30.

If you are stubborn then do it the hard way and "try" to uninstall the software.

And then go to start => run => type 'msconfig' without quotes => startup and disable all of the ones you dont need :)

If you ever need anyhelp vimto you have me on wlm so just ask :)

Sorry about the long post but i had a lot to say :P

I doubt half of you read this.....

This is probs the longest post i have ever done :rofl:

It is longer than my recent history essay :rofl:

Cheers,
Nathan

This post was edited on 01-16-2007 at 10:43 PM by Nathan.
Touch Innovation - touch friendly programs/applications for the windows mobile!

01-16-2007 10:23 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Vimto

In and Out

32 / Female / Flag
O.P. RE: RE: Laptop Reccomendation
quote:
Originally posted by nathan

If you ever need anyhelp vimto you have me on wlm so just ask :)

Sorry about the long post but i had a lot to say :P

I doubt half of you read this.....

Cheers,
Nathan

I read it all :lol: Thanks alot. If I need any more help Ill ask yuo on WLM ...

Again
And when your heart begins to bleed, your dead
and dead and dead indeed.
01-17-2007 06:10 PM
Pages: (3): « First « 1 2 [ 3 ] Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: