What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » General » General Chit Chat » Red=Increase Heartbeat Rate?

Red=Increase Heartbeat Rate?
Author: Message:
Nagamasa
Skinning Contest Winner

30 / Male / Flag
O.P. Red=Increase Heartbeat Rate?
Is this true?

If so, why?

And how greatly does it affect heartbeat rate?

P.S This is not homework.
[Image: unled1uo.png]
Joined this forum 6547 days, 9 hours, 19 minutes, 29 seconds ago.

01-12-2007 02:17 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Supersonicdarky
Veteran Member

– / – / Flag
RE: Red=Increase Heartbeat Rate?
i know what if 2 teams are playing a sport, the one wearing red jerseys has a higher chance of winning even if the teams are exactly the same. i read that somewhere a while ago.

my theory for the heartbeat thing is that your brain automatically things of danger and gets muscles read for action...
01-12-2007 02:36 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
markee
Veteran Member

35 / Male / Flag
I think it is that red is commonly associated with anger and passion (and can make people feel this way to a degree when they see a lot of the colour).  With both anger and passion your heart rate increases.  The is my simple logic version of it for you. :cheesy:
[Image: markee.png]
01-12-2007 02:44 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Rolando
Veteran Member

Santasend

33 / Male / Flag
Red color increases heart rate because it excites the preangular valve of the heart. (lmao, just making some random stuff up :p)

Maybe it does increase hearts rate for the reasons markee said. Red color is often if not always assosiated with anger, blood or passion.
[Image: sigxmascopy.png]
01-12-2007 02:49 AM
Nagamasa
Skinning Contest Winner

30 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Red=Increase Heartbeat Rate?
quote:
Originally posted by q25
Maybe it does increase hearts rate for the reasons markee said. Red color is often if not always assosiated with anger, blood or passion.

Is there a more scientific reason? Maybe your eyes are more sensitive to red and sends incorrect messages to your brain?

01-12-2007 02:57 AM
Rolando
Veteran Member

Santasend

33 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Nagamasa
quote:
Originally posted by q25

Is there a more scientific reason? Maybe your eyes are more sensitive to red and sends incorrect messages to your brain?

Now that you say that, I think I once read that the color red increases your heart rate because it stimulates the increase of adrenaline secretion

And after remembering that I searched google and found this site.

:)

It does say it needs to be for long periods of time though.

quote:
Originally posted by Site
The Color Red

Note: Viewing the color red for a prolonged period of time can cause the body to increase adrenaline secretion. While the excerpt below states that this can have a good effect on people with hypotension by increasing their blood pressure, it can also exacerbate stress and fatigue, and is not recommended by this web site.

"The color red stimulates, excites, and warms the body. Red increases the heart rate, brain wave activity, and respiration. The color of passion and energy. Those who have poor coordination should avoid wearing the color red. In addition, people suffering from hypertension (high blood pressure) and ADHD (hyperactivity) should avoid the color red, avoid going into red rooms and should not decorate their homes with red, as it will cause their blood pressure to rise. Conversely, red has a good effect [temporarily—not recommended] on those with hypotension (low blood pressure) and depression."

This post was edited on 01-12-2007 at 03:02 AM by Rolando.
[Image: sigxmascopy.png]
01-12-2007 03:00 AM
Nagamasa
Skinning Contest Winner

30 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Red=Increase Heartbeat Rate?
quote:
Originally posted by q25
"The color red stimulates, excites, and warms the body. Red increases the heart rate, brain wave activity, and respiration. The color of passion and energy. Those who have poor coordination should avoid wearing the color red. In addition, people suffering from hypertension (high blood pressure) and ADHD (hyperactivity) should avoid the color red, avoid going into red rooms and should not decorate their homes with red, as it will cause their blood pressure to rise. Conversely, red has a good effect [temporarily—not recommended] on those with hypotension (low blood pressure) and depression."

By approximately how much though? By like a heartbeat a year or 100 heartbeats a minute?

This is cool! :D

01-12-2007 03:08 AM
Voldemort
Veteran Member

– / – / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Nagamasa
100 heartbeats
it's impact is not, i belive, that drastic...

I doubt it has solid scientific evidence anyway

This post was edited on 01-12-2007 at 03:20 AM by Voldemort.
*All posts are a purely speculative hypothesis based on abstract reasoning.
Not my daughter, you bitch!
[Image: ico-mollytrix16.gif]
01-12-2007 03:18 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Voldemort
I doubt it has solid scientific evidence anyway
It does though....

There is also a whole science devoted to color studies. Color science and psychology is also part of the education of professions like architects, decorators, light engineers, etc etc.

Although a certain color will not always have the same effect on all people (there are always exceptions), it is a pretty solid and a prooven study.

There is also something like chromotherapy, which is the use of colors as a tool to heal and for therapy. And without knowing it, we are all actually exposed to chromotherapy in daily life in one way or the other...

---

But, there are two things being confused in this thread though: there is a difference between color symbolism and psychology effects of colors.

Eg: red does not give the feeling of danger, but rather the feeling of warmth, cousyness, etc (quite the opposite of danger, which is more felt with a color like bright yellow). But as a symbol, red is used to indicate danger and fire. The color symbol green can mean envy, jealousy, while the color itself let us feel more in balance, at ease and is more soothing (hence used in operating theaters)... Used as symbols, it also depends from culture to culture of course. But as psychology effects it is more universal.

And because colors have a psychologic effect on people (and animals btw), it also can have a physical effect like an increase of hart rate or increase in blood pressure. Though the physical effects are useually extremely small, they can be there, certainly on long term exposure. Also when talking about these psychologic effects which trigger physical effects, think about the placebo effect which can trigger physical change too (just because people think they took something which will cure them).

This post was edited on 01-12-2007 at 06:25 AM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
01-12-2007 06:00 AM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: