What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » Translation » an idea about the language option of Plus!

Pages: (3): « First [ 1 ] 2 3 » Last »
an idea about the language option of Plus!
Author: Message:
ahmetgns
Veteran Member

39 / Male / Flag
O.P. an idea about the language option of Plus!
All we know that plus! has a complete international support. However some people can't benefit this  because as Patchou wrote "Language files increase the size of the setup file so we don't add languages spoken by relatively a few people." Also I noticed that the current Languages folder size is 3.1 MB and setup file size is already 4.63 MB. As you see almost two of third of the setup file is consisted of Languages. I don't understand programming but instead adding every language to setup file, let people download Plus! directly in their own language. Then when somebody wants to use another language, let him select and download it from Preferences panel automatically. Or maybe this kind of selection can be prepared for the first window that setup will display when starting to installation. Why I wrote this is that when I want to share Plus! with my friends I have difficulty to make them install it because they don't know English mostly. Think this, thank you from now. 

This post was edited on 04-26-2007 at 08:30 AM by ahmetgns.
01-15-2007 06:24 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
RaPLeX

Fenerbahce SK

33 / Male / Flag
RE: an idea about Plus! language option
I don't think they will change it,and this its just 2-3 mb.As you know [Turkish] our internet connections speed 1mb :)

This post was edited on 01-16-2007 at 04:05 PM by RaPLeX.
[Image: 23rs9ya.gif]
01-15-2007 06:49 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
ahmetgns
Veteran Member

39 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: RE: an idea about Plus! language option
quote:
Originally posted by RaPLeX
it is like this for years and I don't think they will change it now

But I think they will change it, because it is not a software that must be packaged in a setup file. I mean, one who can access to the Preferences panel have already an Internet connection and selecting and downloading a desired language wouldn't be so difficult.
01-16-2007 09:29 AM
MattyRid
Veteran Member

Red Bull Racing Australia

– / Male / Flag
Why? They use the same files, just that it reads the language file you choose. Same with the installer. And it's easier to have one setup file which is edited rather than having 15+ files to edit each and every single time. I'd love to see you edit 15+ setup files for just one minor change 8-)

This post was edited on 01-16-2007 at 09:48 AM by MattyRid.
Red Bull Racing Australia - Triple Eight Race Engineering - Holden
01-16-2007 09:44 AM
Menthix
forum admin

39 / Male / Flag
Actually, you don't need 15+ installers at all for this. All you need is one installer that checks the download server for a list of languages when you run it, so the language you want is downloaded during setup. The same thing can be done when the user wants to change the language in preferences.

People talked about something like this before. I still think it could be a good idea, if it decreases the download size per user than there will be faster downloads during big releases and less corrupted downloads (yes Patchou, you got a new server, but it;s still happening on some days). Also, more interesting, the less spoken smaller languages can be added back... at least every language that WLM is available in too.
Finish the problem
Menthix.net | Contact Me
01-16-2007 10:09 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
ahmetgns
Veteran Member

39 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: an idea about Plus! language option
I wrote something wrong in my previous post. I  meant that why do they pack all language files into a setup file. Instead, let them write a setup program that would come with a default (english) language file and can then download the desired language file from the web in the first installation window. Why I am interested in this issue is that patchou says "we don't want to increase the setup file size" however most of us had to download language files that we would never use. I say  "Don't increase setup file size but offer more language option even for languages for minority of people."
01-16-2007 10:15 AM
MattyRid
Veteran Member

– / Male / Flag
ahmetgns, have you actually done the sums after it's installed? Well lets do the sums;

Once installed the folder is approx. 9.58MB and the language files are approx 3.12MB. Once you put the language files (approx. 3.12MB) over the total folder size (approx. 9.58MB), and then times it by 100, you get approx.32.5678496868...
So the languages only takes up around a third of the actual program. So to say that languages takes up over 2 thirds of the actual setup program is really taking things out of proportion. Any more than say half of the setup and it's getting a bit excessive not only to mention that the sponsor program, although heavily modified, would take up a bit as well.

However, it should be stressed that we are both only basing all this setup stuff purely on theories, however, my calculation would be somewhat more realistic compared to yours which is like comparing apples (program folder) and bananas (setup file) when I'm basing my calculations based on what the program folder sizes are, and not the language folder compared to the setup file. The only time I relate it to the setup file is after all my calculations are complete and I am fully satisfied that the calculations are fully correct. Also is must be remembered that a setup files is reduced and thus even my calculation may also be out, but it may not be by as much as you

And MenthiX, what your saying is true, but the same could still happen when downloading a language file. It may be a smaller chance but it could still happen. And would be even worse if your not sure what in the world is going on, to which then the user would become frustrated and then we end up losing users and receive a bad name because of it thus, resulting in less users downloading the program.

In reality, we shouldn't be complaining for the size and the amount of languages you get with Messenger Plus! Live compared to Windows Live Messenger which only comes with one language in the setup file.
01-16-2007 11:00 AM
ahmetgns
Veteran Member

39 / Male / Flag
MattyRid,
I am not complaining that Plus! comes in a variety of languages. But I mean that if the size is increasing with each language and therefore Patchou don't put my native language (Turkish) to the setup file, I should develop some ideas for my language to be added. And all my effort is increase the languages of Plus!.  And also I noticed that you are a bit pessimistic about the downloads. Thinking broadly, there is definitely less possibility that downloading a language file (approx. 170 KB) to be corrupted compared with a setup file (approx. 4.63 MB) .

And I think, you again made a mistake about the calculations in spite of your very much effort.:D. I am not talking and complaining about the program's folder size(My harddrive has 100 GB capacity :P). I am talking about the setup file's size. And it is not important the percentage of the languages in the setup file, it was just a comparison. Also if an expert write about the languages size in a setup file, I would be glad. Because I still think the languages size is two third of the Plus!'s original setup file. Thanks ...
01-16-2007 12:05 PM
MattyRid
Veteran Member

– / Male / Flag
But your still comparing the languages folder to the setup file which is not the way to go about it. That's why I did those calculations and that's why I'm saying you are more likely to be way out compared to me.

OK perhaps this isn't the best example to do but I think it's a good way of showing why ahmetgns, your idea is still wrong. I want you to get the program folder and put it into a ZIP archive (without scripts), and then I want you to go to the language folder and then ZIP that as well, look at the difference. As I said it might not be the best comparison but by golly does it demonstrate something. And if your still not convinced, then I can't think of another way to prove a point to you.

And to say I made a mistake in my calculations..please give me a break, at least I was comparing apples wit apples and not apples with bananas (Means I was comparing and calculated based on folders and not folder to setup file).
01-16-2007 08:35 PM
ahmetgns
Veteran Member

39 / Male / Flag
OK thank you. I am now convinced because I didn't know the setup file is a zipped file. (maybe you didn't mean that but I understood so). Whatever, there is a reality which you may also agree that more language mean more setup file size, so some languages aren't inserted to the setup for this reason.
01-16-2007 10:22 PM
Pages: (3): « First [ 1 ] 2 3 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: