What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » General » Forum & Website » Treat the forum like a real community

Pages: (5): « First « 1 2 3 4 [ 5 ] Last »
Treat the forum like a real community
Author: Message:
Joe

35 / Other / Flag
O.P. RE: Treat the forum like a real community
quote:
Originally posted by atown44
The rep. system only shows necessity in that It would show someone whether or not to trust the poster. What else does it do for the forum? Remind you that you hated that guy?

I'm not saying the rep. system needs to be removed, or even changed,  there just needs to be a better usage of the necessity.
If I hadn't said this, there'd be no arguments on the rep. system. Let me clarify.

There's nothing wrong with the rep system, it's the treatment of the system.
[Image: holidayssigei2.jpg]
01-24-2007 05:04 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
markee
Veteran Member

35 / Male / Flag
RE: RE: Treat the forum like a real community
quote:
Originally posted by Voldemort
quote:
Originally posted by John Anderton
I think he must have some sort of "new reps given" page (Smilie)
I'm  90% sure  he has one... <3 rep deleting...

He has said previously in the shoutbox that he checks all of the rep given everyday as this is easier than people getting heaps of PM about the reps.

In other words, WDZ has no life :refuck:

* markee runs
[Image: markee.png]
01-24-2007 05:36 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Adeptus

RE: Treat the forum like a real community
It really needs to be better understood that reputation on this forum is not an important criteria of life quality.

In my time with this community (well over a year), I have noticed that certain members seem to habitually neg-rep newcomers, over relatively minor things new members are bound to do before they learn better.  Greater restraint in that area would be helpful; at least, I would suggest sending a private message first, to anyone you are contemplating for a negative reputation.  People shouldn't care about reputations, but they do -- let's try to not alienate anyone before they've had a chance to do something positive.

Where the reputation system really shines is controversial personalities.  I will refrain from naming anyone, but these are the characters that seem to have a negative for every two positives, and still end up with a higher positive reputation than most.  They polarize the community, and for the most part, this is good.
01-24-2007 10:31 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
J.J

R.I.P Myles. Missing you.

33 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by HSV
i Say We Turn The Rep System off an see how the community goes if it improves or not,, if it doesnt, then turn the rep system back on,

Tbph, i think the rep system keeps some people in their places. Removing it would do more harm than good imo. This suggestion has always been turned down, so there is no reason to bring it up again. As a long time forum member, i'm sure you would be aware of the several previous discussions the community has had in the past.

During my time in this community I never have really payed attention to these threads (which is well over two years now). I've chosen to stay out of the forum arguments, and keep to myself, as arguing is not something i like doing. But this is something that i will say...

Some forum members really need to step back and lower their egos. If someone new is making mistakes, then lead him or her to the right answers and teach them the proper way of presenting themselves to others in the community. If this person continues to disregard the Forum rules, or continues on with any type of ridiculous behavior, it is NOT a forum members job to deal with the problem. The moderates and admins are here for a reason, and all of the forum members flaming foolish behaviour and creating arguments does not help make an admins or moderators job any easier.

When i first joined this forum, I made a few mistakes, as I was totally unaware of certain things and how things worked. And yes, i was rightfully explained by Anubis and Cookie about how to deal with such things at the time, and i became a better member because of it.

I must stress that flaming other members, or retaliating to mediocrity just makes these problems worse. The rep system is there for a reason - that is where forum members should have their say, and by saying that, that does not mean degrading the person when giving a negative vote, but professionally explaining what the member has done to deserve such a vote. The Mods and Admins are here to deal with forum members who go beyond certain guidelines and boundaries in this community.

This post was edited on 01-24-2007 at 11:10 AM by J.J.
[Image: bluesig5rz.png]
Previously known as \'lappin\' and \'Third Dimension\'

Damo says (12:00 AM):
-pictures harry potter naked-
01-24-2007 10:53 AM
L. Coyote

Captain Obvious

38 / Male / Flag
I can't believe people are actually arguing about the RS.

I think people need to learn to discern a reputation from a personal attack.

And move on in life, your rep does not dictate what kind of person you are.

You can have +45 and be an asshole. :^)

Hack, hack, hack!
Finally became a Systems Analyst! :spam:

01-24-2007 12:44 PM
ShawnZ
Veteran Member

32 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by L. Coyote
You can have +45 and be an asshole. (Smilie)

or +38
Spoiler:
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
01-24-2007 01:20 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
John Anderton
Elite Member

37 / Male / Flag
rofl at both Leo and ShawnZ.

When will people learn reps don't count?
Probably never i guess. sigh.
[

KarunAB.com
]

[img]http://gamercards.exophase.com/459422.png[
/img]
01-24-2007 03:16 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Svip
Board's Foremost Baby-Eater

I eat babies.

37 / Other / Flag
Angry?  This is a Microsoft flavoured community!  Of course they are angry, their antitrust lawsuit forces them to appear so.

Also, don't use my reputation as a references, I am Svip, that is a million multiplier right there.
[Image: weredoomed4ds.png]
01-24-2007 03:18 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Pages: (5): « First « 1 2 3 4 [ 5 ] Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: