What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » are you running Windows Vista final?

Pages: (3): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 » Last »
Poll: Are you running Vista? Or possibly a dual setup?
Yes
No
Both Vista and XP(or any other OS)
[Show Results | Edit Poll]
are you running Windows Vista final?
Author: Message:
Rolando
Veteran Member

Santasend

33 / Male / Flag
RE: are you running Windows Vista final?
Not.. yet.

I'm on xp atm.
[Image: sigxmascopy.png]
01-29-2007 01:01 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
albert
Veteran Member

– / Male / Flag
I would love to upgrade.. But my specs are making me doubt if I should.

athlon xp 2800+
468 ram (stupid ati video card eating 64MB)
01-29-2007 02:21 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Jesus
Scripting Contest Winner

Koffie, my cat ;)

37 / Male / Flag
RE: RE: are you running Windows Vista final?
quote:
Originally posted by ~INVASION~
the black screen that notifys the user about program actions is wonderful

I find that option extremely annoying.
Ofcourse it's extra protection and stuff, but I just want to do whatever I want on my pc, regardless of what micro$oft thinks of it. Until now, every time it showed up on my pc, it was totally unnecessary and just plain annoying. I ended up disabling it, causing this annoying icon with the balloon ("your computer is gonna die if you don't click me") to show up every 3 secs. So I disabled that one too, but now it doesn't warn me for anything anymore, while I would like it to be enabled for other security settings.

I know, the above is a bit exaggerated, but it really annoys me how m$ pushes their obtrusive way of securing a system, without the possibility of disabling just parts of that security. It's all or none this way.
Also, I don't think it is a very effective way of securing any system. Most PC users, including myself, tend to click the button which will most likely allow them to continue with what they were doing if you interrupt their actions with such a popup, especially if it's a false alarm most of the time.

IMO, there could be a lot of improvements to vista, the above being  only one of them, and for now, I'll stick with XP for a little longer

This post was edited on 01-29-2007 at 02:42 PM by Jesus.
01-29-2007 02:42 PM
Menthix
forum admin

39 / Male / Flag
XP as main OS and playing with Vista in VMware since 2 days. Not liking Vista at all so far :(.
Finish the problem
Menthix.net | Contact Me
01-29-2007 03:11 PM
ins4ne
Veteran Member

36 / Male / Flag
No and I won't until SP1 (minimum). XP is running stable with no problems. So why should I replace it with an OS that only can be same or worse (what it will be)?
[Image: b5c5bb366c94ba43283cc13901380e3e.png]
01-29-2007 03:20 PM
saralk
Veteran Member

34 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Jesus
I find that option extremely annoying.
Ofcourse it's extra protection and stuff, but I just want to do whatever I want on my pc, regardless of what micro$oft thinks of it. Until now, every time it showed up on my pc, it was totally unnecessary and just plain annoying. I ended up disabling it, causing this annoying icon with the balloon ("your computer is gonna die if you don't click me") to show up every 3 secs. So I disabled that one too, but now it doesn't warn me for anything anymore, while I would like it to be enabled for other security settings.

I know, the above is a bit exaggerated, but it really annoys me how m$ pushes their obtrusive way of securing a system, without the possibility of disabling just parts of that security. It's all or none this way.
Also, I don't think it is a very effective way of securing any system. Most PC users, including myself, tend to click the button which will most likely allow them to continue with what they were doing if you interrupt their actions with such a popup, especially if it's a false alarm most of the time.

IMO, there could be a lot of improvements to vista, the above being  only one of them, and for now, I'll stick with XP for a little longer

I think its a good idea, and it will probably help a lot of people.

However, I think it'd have been better if they blacked out the program that was causing the problem and the password screen came in that window. So all the other programs would still work.

Although you'd have to find a way of dealing with programs that didn't have a window.
The Artist Formerly Known As saralk
London · New York · Paris
Est. 1989
01-29-2007 03:23 PM
Mike
Elite Member

Meet the Spam Family!

31 / Male / Flag
No, I'm not using it.

I have downloaded build 6000 though, but haven't installed it (yet?).
I don't think I will be installing it in the near future because the only computer that can handle Ultimate is my brother's computer (Core 2 Duo 6400, Nvidia Geforce 7600GT 2x512MB RAM) however, he doesn't want it :'(

I have installed RC1 though on VMWare (on his computer) and I can't really enjoy it because of the virtual video device lacking the ability to use the original's graphic card's features.

I have also installed RC1 on a friend, and played with it a little.
quote:
Originally posted by ~INVASION~
the black screen that notifys the user about program actions is wonderful
Have to agree with Jesus here, I didn't like it for the time I played with Vista on my friend's computer.
It takes some time to show up (about 0.5~1 sec) and it is really picky when a program attempts to do something (for example: "Hey this program is trying to use FindWindow to find the hWnd of a control! :O This can be very dangerous, and you should not allow it! Do you want to deny access to the program to use FindWindow?" or when copying files to another HDD: "You must take ownership of this folder before copying files to it" :dodgy:)
YouTube closed-captions ripper (also allows you to download videos!)
01-29-2007 04:18 PM
Felu
Veteran Member

29 / Male / Flag
I have Vista Beta 2 and i'm using it on VMWare. Also i use Windows XP MCE sometimes :P.
01-29-2007 04:32 PM
Supersonicdarky
Veteran Member

– / – / Flag
i'm waiting for a better crack (not the stupid time stopper, but something that will actually activate it)

:tongue:
01-29-2007 04:51 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Mike
Elite Member

Meet the Spam Family!

31 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Supersonicdarky
i'm waiting for a better crack (not the stupid time stopper, but something that will actually activate it)

:tongue:
Use the trick that you have to activate every months? (A) (I have said way too much)
YouTube closed-captions ripper (also allows you to download videos!)
01-29-2007 05:09 PM
Pages: (3): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: