What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! Bug Reports » Events notification notifies ones appearing offline?

Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
Events notification notifies ones appearing offline?
Author: Message:
zdlo

O.P. Events notification notifies ones appearing offline?
I've set the events notification to play a sound when someone on my contact list signs in. Sometimes it plays the sound without any change in that contact's offline situation. It stays appearing offline, not appearing online for even a second, but the events notification plays the sound.

Is it a bug, or is it a way to see if someone is blocking you or appearing offline while actually being online? If it is a way to see that, than that means there is a way to see if someone is appearing offline; which most of the experts here says impossible.

This post was edited on 02-02-2007 at 10:23 AM by zdlo.
02-02-2007 10:23 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
markee
Veteran Member

35 / Male / Flag
RE: Events notification notifies ones appearing offline?
I beleive this to be a bug (which I haven't gotten around to posting about or testing too much just yet).  I had this problem with a friend and I know they weren't blocking me or appearing offline.  I had a sound last for the first 15sec of a song and I had the toast notifications for them but they stayed "offline" in my contact list and chats.  They also were "mobile" when they went offline if that makes a difference for Patchou.  When I signed out and back in it showed them as online, like they should have been.  I am using Windows XP Service Pack 2 (5.1.2600), Windows Live Messenger 8.01.0178 and Messenger Plus! Live 4.11.0.254.  I could only talk to this person as if they were appearing offline.
[Image: markee.png]
02-02-2007 11:14 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
mikemyersfan

Is there any way to fix this? Or any different scripts I could install that would make it work?

The sound notification works fine.. but the contact remains offline. They only will appear back online when I disable the event notification and restart my msn.
04-05-2007 06:13 AM
Patchou
Messenger Plus! Creator

43 / Male / Flag
I'd be interested in fixing this bug. Can you tell me when the bug generally happens? how if your notification event is configured exactly? does it happen only a short time after you've signed in yourself?

Thanks.
[Image: signature2.gif]
04-06-2007 03:30 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
mikemyersfan

It never has worked at all for me... the older versions used to.
The setting is just a song notification sign in for a contact (messes up with everyone i've tried)
The song will play when a contact signs on...yet I never see the person sign on. They just appear offline, but I know they were online because I got my friend to purposely block/unblock me to see if it would work.

I tried installing an old msn and plus last night, and it had the same problem - which is bizarre because before live it would always work for me.

Only until I remove the setting and restart msn does everything go back to normal
04-06-2007 04:58 AM
akurei77

– / Male / –
quote:
Originally posted by zdlo
I've set the events notification to play a sound when someone on my contact list signs in. Sometimes it plays the sound without any change in that contact's offline situation. It stays appearing offline, not appearing online for even a second, but the events notification plays the sound.

Is it a bug, or is it a way to see if someone is blocking you or appearing offline while actually being online? If it is a way to see that, than that means there is a way to see if someone is appearing offline; which most of the experts here says impossible.

I noticed a problem that seems similar, and it could be the same thing. 

Today, I had an event notification go off.  The sound was custom to a certain contact, so I knew who had just logged in.  I waited for the WLM standard toast to pop up since it usually is delayed by a second or so.  But the toast never showed.  When I looked at my desktop contacts, she was shown as online.  But when I brought up the message window, it said she was offline.  My contact list also showed her as offline. 

I thought that there may have been a bug that showed people who were appearing offline, so I asked another contact to appear offline so I could test it.  When he went off, thought, I got the message that he signed out.  But this is where it got interesting (at least to me).  When he set his status back to online, I got the MP!L notifications, but he appeared offline in the message window and contact list.  I asked him what his status was to make sure, and he said it was online.

I decided to try to talk the the first contact.  When I did, she replied.  I found out that her status was also set to online.  Later, my other contact had to log out and log back in.  When he did, his status corrected itself.  This gave me an idea.  I asked my first contact whether she had changed her status from appear offline to online when she had got on.  She said that she had.  Later, she had to leave, so she set her status to away.  When she did this, it registered that she had logged in.

I just did another test to confirm what I was thinking.  When a contact of mine changes their status from 'appear offline' to 'online', MP!L registers the change, while WLM does not.  When that contact changes their status to something else, WLM finally registers the fact that they are online. 

I don't know whether this is a problem caused by MP!L or WLM.  If it is a WLM bug, I would have no way of knowing whether it happened before I got Plus, since Plus is the only way I know that there is a problem.  It's up to someone with more knowledge of how MP!L works to figure out whether this could have been caused by the program.  Also, for all I know, this could be my problem only.  It would be helpful if someone else could see if they have a similar problem. 

To the OP:  Do you use desktop contacts?  If you do, does the status on them change when you get this problem?  Also, if it happens again, could you try talking the the contact?  If they reply, ask them if they had changed their status from 'appear offline'.  Actually, if you wanted to, you could get one of your contacts to appear offline and come back, to test it.  It could be really helpful to find out if we are having the same problem.

Edit:  I believe I answered all of Patchou's questions, except one.  I had been logged in for about a day when I noticed the problem.

Edit 2:
MP!L: 4.20.0.262
WLM: 8.1.0178.00

Late edit:  I just had the same issue with a contact who logged in on his cell phone.  I'm not sure what to make of it, once again it's up to someone who knows more than I do.  I also checked with a friend of mine (who does not use MP!L) to see if he had the same issue when I switch from being offline, and he didn't.  So it does seem that the problem started with MP!L.

Another edit:  I just noticed another problem.  The contact who I originally had a problem with was on again today, and I had the same problem with her not showing as online to the real WLM.  The new problem is that she never signed off this time.  I mean, MP!L never said she signed off.  But after a while, I restarted messenger, and it then showed her as offline, in both WLM and MP!L.  I didn't have this problem when I was testing earlier.  This is even more annoying, since I honestly can't put any trust into Messenger any more. 

I hope someone is reading this.  I don't want to bump, since it appears to be against the rules. 

This post was edited on 05-01-2007 at 06:43 AM by akurei77.
04-23-2007 12:31 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Nugstar

Hey

Looks like I'm getting the same problem.  Generally shows up when a contact signs in (likely from appearing offline.. not sure though), I have the event notification from MP!L but no change in contact list.  The MP!L event history shows that the user came online. 

When I open a convo with the person, they say they're recieving messages from me like "Offline Messages". 

When I log out then back in, contacts show as online and whatnot. 

Contacts also register as online when they change status, but with varying success, so far it seems that when they change [contact list] status from "offline" to BRB they are shown as coming online in the contact list.   However, this doesn't always work when they change their status to Busy.

Eg:

Contacts' Real Status                |       As Shown in Contact List    |     As Shown in MP!L Event History
Online                                     |          Offline                          |   Online
Changes to BRB (from "Offline")    |            BRB  (from Offline)       |   Changes to BRB
Changes to Busy (from "Offline")  |                Offline                    |  Changes to Busy

Just aside, also looks like my contacts PM's change when they're offline, however, I can see it change.  Does the PM change when a contact is appearing offline usually?  Or could it be just part of the bug here? :S

Thanks
Nugstar

P.S. Versions are as follows

WLM: 8.1.0178.00
MP!L: 4.20.0.262
Stuffplug3: 3.0.387b
& MessPatch

This post was edited on 05-15-2007 at 09:56 AM by Nugstar.
05-15-2007 09:48 AM
ahmetgns
Veteran Member

39 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Nugstar
Does the PM change when a contact is appearing offline usually?  Or could it be just part of the bug here?
PM doesn't change when our contacts are Offline (it is not something about whether they appear Offline or they are really Offline, we know them as Offline, that is it). It is part of the bug I think. But keep in mind that, WLM sometimes can't update real statuses of contacts instantly.
05-15-2007 10:16 PM
ahmetgns
Veteran Member

39 / Male / Flag
BUMP!

Sorry but I really wonder why this bug occurs on some Messengers. If posters of this thread detected what is wrong with their Messengers and solved the issue, please let them write it. If they use any patches, add-ons, let them write all of those, maybe some common add-on causes this bug :S

Because here, on a Messenger contented forum, someone said that MsgPlus!Live let people detect who sign in while appearing offline. I said them that was a bug of MsgPlus! and detection of appearing offline contacts was not possible but they don't seem they're convinced. I must suggest them something to get rid off this bug, because they really believe that they could detect contacts who sign in appearing offline.
08-03-2007 08:16 PM
ahmetgns
Veteran Member

39 / Male / Flag
BUMP!

Grr, this problem is still there. Isn't any workaround being done to get rid of this annoying bug? Most of the people in my country believes that Messenger Plus! Live can notify if their contacts sign-in as offline. Almost every Turkish forum explains this method (?) and at least 50% of the nebbish MSN users in my country believe that. I just googled "cevrimdisi oturum acanlari" (which means "ones appearing offline" and it returned hundreds of results and they all explain this feature (?). Even, at one forum, the person who posted this method says: "I know, you all already know this feature, yet I wanted to post it again" :s

I found a proper way to reproduce this bug. (You are supposed to have a test account to apply these steps).

Sign in Messenger with your regular account. Then start a second messenger and sign in on that with your test account. Add test address to your regular account's list. Then set an "User signed n" Event Notification of Messenger Plus! Live only with a sound for the test account.
  • Don't tick the pop-up notification box as this will prevent the bug from occurence.
  • Don't leave the sound's path blank, enter a song (for instance a *.mp3 file) as this gurantee to reproduce the bug.

Now set test account's status to "Appear offline". Make sure, test address is moved to offline list of contact list. Then change test account's status to any of the online statuses (online, busy etc.). Voila. Messenger Plus! will play the sound but WLM won't and you won't see the test address in your regular account's online list. Then select the same status of test account once more, for example if it is online currently, select online again (important: don't set it from systray's messenger menu, either use contact list's status menu or use a plus! command). This will resend the online signal and Messenger will move test address to online list but Plus! won't notify about anything in this case.
  • This bug will occur only when a sound will be played for the sign in notification for contacts that you want.
  • If you entered the path of an unsupported sound file, this bug won't occur.
  • If your regular account's status is busy and you disable Plus! sounds when busy from Preferences, this bug won't occur.
  • quote:
    Originally posted by akurei77
    I thought that there may have been a bug that showed people who were appearing offline, so...
    quote:
    When a contact of mine changes their status from 'appear offline' to 'online', MP!L registers the change, while WLM does not.
    Although this bug occurs for people who comes online while "appearing offline", rarely it occurs for people who signs in with Online (busy etc.) status as well.
As a summary, this bug occurs only when Plus! tries to play a sound without a toast when people sign in. Note that, sometimes this bug doesn't occur. But it is obviously a bug with the sound-only sign in notifications.

Note that, once I was trying to reproduce this bug, one contact signed out, (plus! played the signout sound without showing a toast) but WLM still displayed her in online list. I think this is due to the same sound bug in Plus! but this problem doesn't always occur. The real bug occurs only for sign in and sound-only notification.

quote:
When that contact changes their status to something else, WLM finally registers the fact that they are online.
They don't have to change it to SOMETHING ELSE. If they set the same status again from status menu of contact list, then WLM will detect it. Even;
Three days ago, my friend signed in and Plus! notified me with the sound. But WLM didn't. I started to chat with him normally and  after some time WLM notified me he signed-in. I asked him if he changed his status to any status, he said "No, I didn't touch any of the status menus". I think, his messenger sent the online signal again to the servers and then my WLM could detect it.
quote:
Another edit:  I just noticed another problem.  The contact who I originally had a problem with was on again today, and I had the same problem with her not showing as online to the real WLM.  The new problem is that she never signed off this time.  I mean, MP!L never said she signed off.  But after a while, I restarted messenger, and it then showed her as offline, in both WLM and MP!L.
Yes, you are right, when this bug occurs, MP!L sometimes cannot detect people who signed out. Therefore I can see sometimes two Signed in events consecutively for one contact without any signing out between them.Example:

test@hotmail.com       Signed in (Online)
test@hotmail.com       Signed in (Online)

If you are unable to fix this bug currently, at least disable the Sound Notification option for Signed-in event. So people can never set it.

I hope this post explains everything very well and you can sort this out soon.

This post was edited on 01-24-2008 at 11:39 PM by ahmetgns.
01-24-2008 11:25 AM
Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: