What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » General » General Chit Chat » MS stealing Plus's features

Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
MS stealing Plus's features
Author: Message:
Nathan
Veteran Member

Yeah, "large dimensions" ;)

– / Male / Flag
O.P. MS stealing Plus's features
quote:

In a quite syrupy Valentine post, the Messenger team has listed a dozen of roses feature requests gathered from your feedback. Although the wish list is officially acknowledged, there is absolutely no guarantee they'll ever make it into Windows Live Messenger. It's like they write: "feature selection for Messenger takes into account many, many factors including customer input, business needs, available resources and level of effort estimates. It's a complicated process but one we know will ultimately produce the best possible Messenger we can build." Now on with the list, copy-pasted (almost) integrally:

* Contact/group unique behaviors, such as playing a unique sound when a specific contact or group member signs in or out.
    * Support for multiple accounts at the same time. For instance, someone could log in with their work email account and their home or social email account and send/receive IMs from both groups of contacts at the same time!
    * A spelling/grammar checker for conversations. An optional feature to make sure IMs are spelled and worded properly before sending.
    * Tabbed chat. Conversations are in one window with tabs allowing you to select individual conversations to be brought forward. (Similar to tabbed browsing in IE7)
    * A way to automatically install Messenger updates and fixes without downloading a whole new messenger (like Windows does).
    * The ability to appear offline or have different statuses for different groups or contacts. For instance, you might appear offline for group A, busy for group B and yet let 2 or 3 other contacts see you as available.
    * An easier way to invite friends and family to download and install and join the Windows Live Messenger community.
    * Animated Display Pictures or custom avatars (or other enhanced personalization/online presence features).
    * Stored and searchable chat history.
    * Better formatting of text within individual IMs – bold, underline, colors, fonts.
    * Easier/better search for contacts - maybe a directory of messenger users or better integration with spaces for finding WLM users there?
    * N-way audio/video conferencing.

Obviously we have seen a lot of these lists pass by here at Mess.be and polygamy, tabbed conversations, animated display pictures and group-specific statuses are included in nearly all of them. Complete skinning and single file transfer resuming, surprisingly not on this list, are other requests I hear often. Anyway, I've opened a topic/poll at our forums so you Messers can contribute to the discussion, and I suggest you do so because they're definitely listening!

Source mess.be

ZOMG :P

This kinda sucks becuase plus is going to be eliminated if MS steals plus's features all of the time :(
02-16-2007 12:11 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
NanaFreak
Scripting Contest Winner

32 / Male / Flag
RE: MS stealing Plus's features
:sad: why does M$ have to be a bitch
02-16-2007 12:13 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Felu
Veteran Member

29 / Male / Flag
Old :(.

Stop posting things what gjs1992 tells you to :P.

This post was edited on 02-16-2007 at 12:25 PM by Felu.
02-16-2007 12:15 PM
Nathan
Veteran Member

– / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: MS stealing Plus's features
Well if its old why didnt you post it before me.
02-16-2007 12:17 PM
Ezra
Veteran Member

Forgiveness is between them and God

37 / Male / Flag
I don't think it's so bad, Plus! was created because these things were missing so if msn implements them it might even be better.

Plus! Formatting only works for people with plus!, now it works for everybody with msn...

And besides there are enough other things plus! can implement and maybe the msn features aren't as good as patchou's and they stay in plus!
[Image: 1-0.png]

02-16-2007 12:18 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
John Anderton
Elite Member

37 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Nathan
Because this isn't a news syndication service :P

This isn't the first time this has happened. Plus! always stays a few steps ahead with its features though :)
[

KarunAB.com
]

[img]http://gamercards.exophase.com/459422.png[
/img]
02-16-2007 12:20 PM
High Speed Chaser

Don't mess with the Wambulance!

– / Male / Flag
RE: RE: MS stealing Plus's features
quote:
Originally posted by Ezra
I don't think it's so bad, Plus! was created because these things were missing so if msn implements them it might even be better.

Plus! Formatting only works for people with plus!, now it works for everybody with msn...

And besides there are enough other things plus! can implement and maybe the msn features aren't as good as patchou's and they stay in plus!

if MS takes pluses ideas then that leaves more room for newer and better features that MS don't have the brains for
If only I knew what I should put here
02-16-2007 12:21 PM
Felu
Veteran Member

29 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Nathan
WLM stealing even more Plus! ideas :(
02-16-2007 12:22 PM
Nathan
Veteran Member

– / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: MS stealing Plus's features
Yeah,
And eventually microsoft will pay patchou for his coding to implement it into wlm
02-16-2007 12:22 PM
markee
Veteran Member

35 / Male / Flag
You also forgot to point out that this is a list of the things that have been asked of the messenger team to do, not what they are putting into an upcoming release.  It would be nice to think they would do all of this and to a high level, but as we have seen it does take a while for them to add features and they aren't always the best they can be (contact names and chat-logging are two that I can think of that are/have been better in plus).

As Ezra said (and has been talked about previously) the whole idea of plus! is to extend upon MSN/WLM's features for the people that use the add-on, if however they are implemented I think Patchou will feel as though he contributed.  It is a good thing that you can go anywhere and not have to install plus! to get all the features you want, unfortunately atm that is not the reality (and I doubt that ever will be with new ideas coming always being formulated).
[Image: markee.png]
02-16-2007 12:25 PM
Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: