What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » General » Forum & Website » Get rid of the reputation system

Pages: (6): « First « 1 2 [ 3 ] 4 5 6 » Last »
Should the reputation system be removed
This poll is closed.
Yes 14 21.54%
No 51 78.46%
Total: 65 votes 100%
  [Show Results | Edit Poll]

Get rid of the reputation system
Author: Message:
brian

– / Male / –
O.P. RE: Get rid of the reputation system
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
Removing or changing the reputation system is not going to change and/or help the attitude of those people. They still will act immature...
They'll practically have no place to act immature which then they'll start acting in their posts which ends up getting reported.

The way the reputation system is working, it's "i'm better than you, say i'm bad i say you are" mode.  Get it removed & it'll fix a lot of stuff.

The immature won't act so innocent and if he doesn't, he'll get banned.

I'm not trying to create the members critics thread once again, I'm simply trying to help around

This post was edited on 02-24-2007 at 01:48 AM by brian.
02-24-2007 01:46 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
WDZ
Former Admin

– / Male / Flag
RE: Get rid of the reputation system
quote:
Originally posted by brian
Don't you think that's a little drastic? Is there no hope of improving it, either with technical modifications or policy changes? :-/

And even if it is removed, I'm not convinced it's going to be an improvement.

quote:
The reputation system is not at fault, it is the attitude of some people that is wrong...

Removing or changing the reputation system is not going to change and/or help the attitude of those people.
Yeah, I think you're right.

quote:
Originally posted by NiteMare
arguing or even discussing it won't make a difference, if the forum admins feel that the reputation system is no longer a good part of these forums, then they will remove it. on their own. not with our help.
I disagree; discussing it can make a difference. Input from the community can help the admins make the right decisions.

However, when threads like this get out of hand, that doesn't help anyone... :\
02-24-2007 02:19 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Nagamasa
Skinning Contest Winner

30 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by MicroWay (what he crossed off)

Ohh... I was forgeting: maybe we could choose some people (the older ones here) to judge the reputation, but maybe it's difficult.
Perhaps there should be a panel which includes admins, mods, and elites which votes for rep count. I mean, they are special for a reason, and I'm sure they can be honest. But then, it might be A LOT of work for them to rep each and every member...

I am not AGAINST the rep system that is currently operating, nor am I AGAINST scrapping the rep system, as it provides a good indication.
quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
arguing or even discussing it won't make a difference, if the forum admins feel that the reputation system is no longer a good part of these forums, then they will remove it. on their own. not with our help.
This forum is not a dictatorship.
quote:
Originally posted by paperless
people's fault not the system's fault.
Well then there's a flaw in the system...(e.g., I kill someone, and I'm not charged because the laws don't cover it...and obviously its a flaw in the laws)
quote:
Originally posted by NiteMare
debate about weather the rep system should stay or not
but perhaps, the problem IS there...

What Ms. Frizzles said, "Take chances! Make Mistakes!"
quote:
No, it's still pointless with it being private.
If not even worse, as then regulars cant report incorrect statements  about someone, and the admin/mod's vision (not eye-vision) is blurred...
quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
quote:
Don't you think that's a little drastic? Is there no hope of improving it, either with technical modifications or policy changes? :-/
The hard, lose-lose way of problem solving...not a good solution.
quote:

If you think that the reputation system is useless, then simply don't use it.
Other people use it on us (not necessarily me)...and it gives oneself an untrue statement.
quote:
Originally posted by Supersonicdarky
all that needs to be done is forbid rep threads
Completely against that. This forum 3 years ago and this forum now, has definitely changed. Opinions change too.
[Image: unled1uo.png]
Joined this forum 6547 days, 10 hours, 43 minutes, 42 seconds ago.

02-24-2007 03:50 AM
Lou
Veteran Member

– / Male / Flag
To be perfectly honest, Cookie is (once again) correct. The people that abuse the system in the first place are at fault. And with the many threads we've been getting the last few weeks, I'm seeing some changes already with things. For example, TnT is pruned rather regularly, and on top of that, if people would simply use the fucking report button complaining wouldn't be needed.
[Image: report.gif]

It's getting ridiculously out of hand, the spam and stuff is loads less annoying than all the threads complaining about it.

So as members, and as a part of the community, if we want this to be a better place, we need to press that button every time we see something wrong.

There is also the great [Image: pm.gif] button, which in this case, pm's the great dz. This button is quite useful because it can help you report reputations *GASP*:shocked:

So use the buttons, and that's it. There really shouldn't be any need for repetitive threads about closing the reputation system and stuff. If we stop abusing it, it'll be useful.

So to summarize:

[Image: pm.gif] (WDZ)
[Image: pm.gif] (wj)
[Image: pm.gif] (Chris Boulton)

This post was edited on 02-24-2007 at 04:08 AM by Lou.
[Image: msghelp.net.png]
The future holds bright things in it\\\'s path, but only time will tell what they are and where they come from.
Messenger Stuff Forums
02-24-2007 03:52 AM
wj
Former Admin

I aim to misbehave.

39 / – / Flag
Thank you Lou, Great summary. Though I'll say this much, You can also PM Surfi or I.
"A towel is about the most massively useful
thing an interstellar hitchhiker can have."
02-24-2007 04:04 AM
MicroWay

Do you want me? Try to get me!

36 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Nagamasa

quote:
Originally posted by Microway (what he crossed off)

Ohh... I was forgeting: maybe we could choose some people (the older ones here) to judge the reputation, but maybe it's difficult.

Perhaps there should be a panel which includes admins, mods, and elites which votes for rep count. I mean, they are special for a reason, and I'm sure they can be honest. But then, it might be A LOT of work for them to rep each and every member...
That's why I crossed it off... The people choosed would have a lot of unecessary work + they have more important things to do...

To be more honest here, all theads about reputation started with sugestions and discutions, but as soon as they come, after days, they "disapear" from the firsts pages on the "Latest Posts" because this is a subject that in the end, people get in conclusion that the best is to keep the system as it is. So, the best thing is continue with the Reputation System (as Cookie said: The system is not the problem) and try to LEARN how do you can remove an unfair reputation vote.

Again: Search for other threads about reputation and you'll see what some people that don't want to change system and me are talking about...
PS: Search made using "Reputation" and only on subjects

This post was edited on 02-24-2007 at 04:17 AM by MicroWay.
02-24-2007 04:07 AM
John Anderton
Elite Member

37 / Male / Flag
And one more thing, if "unfair reps" are the problem, banning the person from repping for 30 days is an idea. If he/she repeats it, make it permanent :) (Like trolling on a new user for making a thread in 2-3 forums could get you a months ban from the repping system)

If you're still having issues with the repping system, increase the min limits after which people can rep. Quite a few forums only allow their senior members to give reps.

Lou's summary > *
[

KarunAB.com
]

[img]http://gamercards.exophase.com/459422.png[
/img]
02-24-2007 04:27 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
L. Coyote

Captain Obvious

38 / Male / Flag
There should be an option like "I could care less", but I'm all for trying the theory that "no rep system == better forums".

Maybe we could try it for a couple of weeks? :s You know, simply "hide" it and see if the admins see a difference.

Or maybe there should be a limitation as to how many negatives new members can receive? Like, say, three a day. There's no need for 20 guys to say the same thing about spammy01 or cluelessnewbie01. :^)

But I'm kind of tired of these discussions, so don't expect me to waste study time in any new threads of this nature. I'm mostly an observer, these days, anyway.

Hack, hack, hack!
Finally became a Systems Analyst! :spam:

02-24-2007 07:14 AM
Nathan
Veteran Member

Yeah, "large dimensions" ;)

– / Male / Flag
Why dont we just disable the reputation system for newbies, (100 posts) or something like that.
02-24-2007 08:50 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Discrate
Veteran Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: RE: Get rid of the reputation system
quote:
Originally posted by Nathan
Why dont we just disable the reputation system for newbies, (100 posts) or something like that.

Yer that would be a great idea.
02-24-2007 10:21 AM
Pages: (6): « First « 1 2 [ 3 ] 4 5 6 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: