What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » General » Forum & Website » Get rid of the reputation system

Pages: (6): « First « 1 2 3 4 [ 5 ] 6 » Last »
Should the reputation system be removed
This poll is closed.
Yes 14 21.54%
No 51 78.46%
Total: 65 votes 100%
  [Show Results | Edit Poll]

Get rid of the reputation system
Author: Message:
Rolando
Veteran Member

Santasend

33 / Male / Flag
RE: Get rid of the reputation system
quote:
Originally posted by roflmao456
rep system doesnt change your REAL reputation in REAL life :P

Completely offtopic and useless post, but ok :undecided:

I think it should stay, no matter if its abused.
[Image: sigxmascopy.png]
02-24-2007 05:39 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
brian

– / Male / –
O.P. RE: Get rid of the reputation system
quote:
Originally posted by q25
Agreed it's your opinion, but why?

Don't you think it has caused enough problems because people getting mistreated?
02-24-2007 05:42 PM
vaccination
Veteran Member

32 / Male / –
I don't think it should be removed, just looked at again, it needs to be less 'abusable'.

Mind, I have no idea how to do that.

Also, as I think has been said before, it's more the people's action towards it. It seems as though some people think it's a toy, others think they need a good rep, for whatever reason, e.g. looking 'cool' or something.

I would say I don't care about my reps, but it's not true, and everyone knows it. I do care care, but not overly much. I admit, I'd much rather see a positive number there, and the higher the number the better. But In all honesty, it doesn't matter, I help if I can, that's enough. If someone doesn't have a big positive number under their name, it doesn't mean they don't help or can't help. So you shouldn't feel bad about having a low rep or something like that, which leads me back to the fact, some people want to be 'cool', look good in the other forum members eyes. But what does it matter as long as you help out?

Another thing, while I remember, is the constant 'n00b bashing' is really annoying. Not everyone's as smart as you. Though some people do lack some common sense ;p

Just try not to jump on the 'n00b' as quick, be nice, and if they're doing something wrong, PM them to say "hey, you shouldn't do XYZ blah blah blah" and report anything they've done if need be.
(And yes, I'm quite aware that I do this a lot('n00b bashing' that is) sorry, I'm trying to not to do it so much, I think a big problem here is a kind of 'peer pressure' type thing)

You don't need to negatively rep someone to tell them what they're doing wrong. PM THEM FOO!

Oh, and I don't mind the jokey stuff, like someone does something like messing up some BBcode and someone says "you phail at BBcode" or something, that's minor and is only a joke, and not exactly offensive, or harsh. But when someone(or a group of people, which seems to happen a lot) goes kingdom kong on someone's ass... =/

Okay, I went off-topic a bit I think, so sorry for that. I also wanted to say more, but i can't get the words out =s

Anywho, It's good, just needs to be more fool proof ;o

This post was edited on 02-24-2007 at 06:37 PM by vaccination.
[Image: jumbled.png]
02-24-2007 06:19 PM
Nathan
Veteran Member

Yeah, "large dimensions" ;)

– / Male / Flag
Yeah,
The reps dont affect my life, but it's nice to know what people think about you and what you're doing wrong.
02-24-2007 06:21 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Rolando
Veteran Member

Santasend

33 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by brian
quote:
Originally posted by q25
Agreed it's your opinion, but why?

Don't you think it has caused enough problems because people getting mistreated?

It has? :undecided: It allows people to express their opinions and rep each other, and have fun with the comments they put. Some people complain, but there's always people complaining.

The rep system is kinda like the shoutbox, its only there to entertain  users and let them express themselves. And isn't that what the forum is all about? (Apart from helping people with their mp!l questions, that is :p)
[Image: sigxmascopy.png]
02-24-2007 06:33 PM
WDZ
Former Admin

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Plik
What? Are you refering to MyBB's default rep system?
Was that even part of mybb when it was first implemented on this forum? :-/
Yeah, RC2 did have a reputation system, but it sucked, so it was disabled while I re-coded it.
02-24-2007 06:45 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
brian

– / Male / –
O.P. RE: Get rid of the reputation system
quote:
Originally posted by q25
It allows people to express their opinions and rep each other, and have fun with the comments they put.
I'm not sure if that is the point of the reputation system.

Then, if we want to keep the reputation system.  Abusing it should be an offense just like flaming/spamming the forum.

The users who gave a negative rep. to the new user a few days ago and once that's reported, the users should get warned/banned depending on the severity.
02-24-2007 06:59 PM
Dr4g0n

33 / Male / Flag
Right, this thread sorts out the quarterly rep rant then. So where's the whole-forum-is-going-downhill thread? They're normally within a few weeks of each other.

I figured it was due.
02-24-2007 07:27 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Voldemort
Veteran Member

– / – / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by brian
The users who gave a negative rep. to the new user a few days ago and once that's reported, the users should get warned/banned depending on the severity.
Why? those where valid reps.... The thing that should not be is insulting on reps...
*All posts are a purely speculative hypothesis based on abstract reasoning.
Not my daughter, you bitch!
[Image: ico-mollytrix16.gif]
02-24-2007 07:30 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
ZrednaZ

37 / Male / Flag
I too think the rep system is pretty silly. Maybe that's why you hardly ever see it utilized other places? What you get is a bunch of users giving each other meaningless positive rep points in order to hopefully get one back.
Even without this factor present I still wouldn't take much notice of any given user's reputation. I'm just as likely to take advise from a user with a 0 rep as a user with a +400 rep if I think it will solve my problem. :)

On the more positive side, it may encourage helpful users to be even more helpful when they are rewarded with a great number of positive points. Also, I assume it helps moderators to identify spammers and what not. If this be the case, I see no reason why the rep system should be removed as it can't really be considered annoying. Ignoring it works pretty well for me.

This post was edited on 02-25-2007 at 12:26 AM by ZrednaZ.
No, I didn't search before
posting. Don't bother asking.
02-25-2007 12:21 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Pages: (6): « First « 1 2 3 4 [ 5 ] 6 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: