What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! Bug Reports » Edit Nickname bug

Edit Nickname bug
Author: Message:
warmth
Veteran Member

Electronic Engineer

39 / Male / Flag
O.P. Edit Nickname bug
The is a problem with MP!L text formats and edit nickname feature when you righ click a contact in the contact list... (I don't know if there is bug known)... I have made some screenshots of what I did to find the bug... I have my nickname all formated with colors... when I tried to change my nickname (I am on my own list to makes proves jajajaja :$) all the format colors disappeared... without change anything... and when I clicked outside to cancel the edit the nick lost all the format and is saved like that...

.jpg File Attachment: mpl_bug.jpg (24.01 KB)
This file has been downloaded 177 time(s).
@warmth - Beta Testing a life!
Official Nokia (former Ovi) Suite Beta Tester | Nokia Beta Labs Contributor of the month (June, 2011)
03-05-2007 01:36 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Felu
Veteran Member

29 / Male / Flag
RE: Edit Nickname bug
This is one of the known limitations as far as i know. The problem is that GetWindowText API cannot deformat and find these codes ;).
03-05-2007 02:49 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
warmth
Veteran Member

Electronic Engineer

39 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Edit Nickname bug
well let's see what patchou have to say of it... :( but certainly I don't think that this is impossible to do... have you seen the feature for change the nick in Stuffplug version??? this makes the same thing and the format doesn't get lost... :-#

This post was edited on 03-05-2007 at 03:37 AM by warmth.
Official Nokia (former Ovi) Suite Beta Tester | Nokia Beta Labs Contributor of the month (June, 2011)
03-05-2007 03:23 AM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by warmth
well let's see what patchou have to say of it... :( but certainly I don't think that this is impossible to do... have you seen the feature for change the nick in Stuffplug version??? this makes the same thing and the format doesn't get lost... :-#
The nickname changing doesn't have much todo with Messenger Plus!.

If you click on a contact's name in the contactlist, you are changing the nickname (not the contact name) of that contact. Thus you change the nickname from WLM itself.

WLM doesn't see the color code characters, since they are not there in the contact list. What WLM sees as far as characters are invloved, is what you see in the contactlist; there are no bbcodes or irc style codes anywhere to be seen. WLM's nickname editing feature uses the text as listed in the contactlist, not the 'real' contact names.

Hence why the editbox pops up without the color codes, cause they are not there in the text to begin with and hence when you cancel the edit, the codes will not be there either (since WLM simply puts the original text before the edit, thus without the colors, back). This is how WLM works, not really the fault of Messenger Plus!.

The name changing in StuffPlug is completely different and probably doesn't work from the contactlist as a base, like WLM needs to do. As such, both things can't be compared. Hence why colors can be "supported" there. If Plus! had a independant list to change the nickname also, colors would be "supported" too. If StuffPlug would use the contaclist as its base, it either wouldn't be able to support colors.

This post was edited on 03-05-2007 at 12:35 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
03-05-2007 12:02 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Sunshine
Elite Member

– / Female / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by warmth
have you seen the feature for change the nick in Stuffplug version??? this makes the same thing and the format doesn't get lost... :-#
Wich feature do you mean exactly? Allow Editing of Display name in contactlist?

Allow Editing of Display Name in contactlist is only for your own name so you have quick access to your own displayname (no more going to tools > options > personal). This is in no way the same as "Add nick" of WLM, wich is ment to set a custom name for your contacts.
[Image: 25dr3o9]
03-05-2007 01:11 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
warmth
Veteran Member

Electronic Engineer

39 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: RE: Edit Nickname bug
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevisedThis is how WLM works, not really the fault of Messenger Plus!.

I am not really telling that is MP!L fault, but maybe there is a solution for it... I am more like motivating to find how to solve this problem... Thanks for all you said... I already knew that... but I think that is not impossible to reach a solution... (maybe using some of my contacts in wlm developers staff (H))... (Y) and all the fact that I named Stuffplug... was not to compare... I really really know that one thing is toooooooooo different from the other... I was just telling you that maybe thinking... there is a way to get ride off this "limitation" and do MP!L more and more unlimited... :o)

quote:
Originally posted by SunshineWich feature do you mean exactly? Allow Editing of Display name in contactlist?

Allow Editing of Display Name in contactlist is only for your own name so you have quick access to your own displayname (no more going to tools > options > personal). This is in no way the same as "Add nick" of WLM, wich is ment to set a custom name for your contacts.

I was asking it to you guys... of course I have seen it :P!!!

This post was edited on 03-05-2007 at 01:38 PM by warmth.
03-05-2007 01:37 PM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: