What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » General » General Chit Chat » Views on gay marriage

Pages: (8): « First « 1 2 [ 3 ] 4 5 6 7 » Last »
Views on gay marriage
Author: Message:
Discrate
Veteran Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: RE: Views on gay marriage
quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
I'm against it, but I don't really care much about it. :tongue:

The religious crap isn't what bothers me, but rather the social implications. Marriage has always been between a man and a woman... it's an important and well-established tradition in our society. Allowing same-sex couples to be legally married changes the definition of marriage. I don't like change. :-/

Also, it could create a slippery slope... what sorts of marriage will be legalized next?

quote:
Originally posted by Discrate (Quote corrected for spelling)
That if a gay couple adopted a child, the child would have trouble understanding why there is 2 guys together or 2 women together, also the child might turn gay because his/her parents are gay; children look up to their parents and their parents are kind of their role models. Plus there is the matter of getting picked on, because he/she has gay parents.
I kind of agree with this. Think of the children! :( :P

If same-sex marriage is legalized, I imagine lots of people will have difficulty getting used to it...

Yay someone who understood me
03-18-2007 10:44 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Vimto

In and Out

32 / Female / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by -dt-
if two people love each other, I see no reason why they shouldn't be allowed to get married =p

Ditto
My thoughts exactly.

I like the gays-I like their music, I like their sense of style, I especially like what they've done with Halloween...
And when your heart begins to bleed, your dead
and dead and dead indeed.
03-18-2007 10:54 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Sunshine
Elite Member

– / Female / Flag
RE: Views on gay marriage
Marriage in my eyes is mostly to arrange certain law things (heritage, childrens last name, quicker way to a permit to stay in the country of the loved one etc.). Besides that it's an extra promise to stay together (for whatever meaning that still has nowadays with all them divorces...if one thing it does make separating more of a hassle, more painfull law stuff to go through). If a couple of same sexe is living together like opposite sexe couples do and they wish to have these things arranged then i don't see why that shouldn't be possible.
[Image: 25dr3o9]
03-18-2007 11:02 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Adeptus

quote:
Originally posted by Discrate
also the child might turn gay becuase he/her parents are gay, children look up to there parents and there parents are kind of there roll model.
People don't turn gay because they see something.  Except to the extent of having been raised in a non-homophobic environment making it easier for an already gay child to accept it, role models make no difference there.
quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
Also, it could create a slippery slope... what sorts of marriage will be legalized next?
You tell me -- there are only two human genders, so I don't see what other permutations in couples are possible, besides opposite gender and same gender.  Including animals and inanimate objects seems like a far leap even from gay marriage.
03-18-2007 11:13 AM
absorbation
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
Government and religion are two different things, although they often come as a package. I see why gay partnerships should be made legal, as it discriminates against people who don't have religion.
03-18-2007 12:37 PM
Flaming Rob

quote:
Originally posted by -dt-
if two people love each other, I see no reason why they shouldn't be allowed to get married =p

I agree with this but sometimes it is off puting to see to blokes kissing  =|)
[Image: robsigfw2.png]
03-18-2007 01:08 PM
foaly

38 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
[qoute]
Originally posted by Discrate (Quote corrected for spelling)
That if a gay couple adopted a child, the child would have trouble understanding why there is 2 guys together or 2 women together, also the child might turn gay because his/her parents are gay; children look up to their parents and their parents are kind of their role models. Plus there is the matter of getting picked on, because he/she has gay parents.
I kind of agree with this. Think of the children! :( :P

If same-sex marriage is legalized, I imagine lots of people will have difficulty getting used to it...

My niece has to mothers and none off the "problems" stated above...
So atleast those things don't apply by definition...
And I belief they don't apply at all... atleast not where I live...

In our country we have a discussion about if registrar (maybe wrongly translated... the guy/woman that marries people before the law) can deny marrying people because off his/her beliefs...
I think that is wrong...  but it is allowed...
03-18-2007 02:03 PM
Cloudly

Cloud 9

– / Male / –
I don't think it's such a good idea to have a baby with two dads... 
I don't have a problem with it, but It's the bullying that they'll get from so many people at their schools who DO have a problem with it.

This post was edited on 03-18-2007 at 02:05 PM by Cloudly.
03-18-2007 02:04 PM
L. Coyote

Captain Obvious

38 / Male / Flag
Christian* religion is the foundation of bigotry. They have these sayings like "respect your neighbor" that are always forgotten, instead they hold on to punishments and bloody fairy tales.

Same-sex marriages must be allowed. As well as adoptions, for those couples. There shouldn't even be a discussion about it (in the government).

As long as governments listen to the church, they will never move on. :^)

* When I say "Christian religion" I'm talking about religions that have their roots in God and Jesus (Catholic, Christian, etc.).

Hack, hack, hack!
Finally became a Systems Analyst! :spam:

03-18-2007 03:39 PM
haydos
Veteran Member

dirty dirty house music

– / Male / Flag
I have no problem with gay marriage in general, it's when children become involved that it becomes an issue for me.

Everyone who says "oh they have open minded parenting", or "they'll be more equipped for society" are turning a blind eye to the large numbers of people in society who have a problem with gays. The "children" of these gay parents are automatically stereotyped, and generalised - I can't see any kid on their first day of school going up and saying "oh by the way I have two dads" without any issue. They will be bullied, they could be embarrassed, it can cause many social problems.

I'm not saying that this is the fault of the fathers themselves, it's just the way society is and there's no way around it.
quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
don't be lazy
[Image: gayspam.gif]

03-18-2007 03:54 PM
Pages: (8): « First « 1 2 [ 3 ] 4 5 6 7 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites