What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » New PC Build

Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
New PC Build
Author: Message:
Ptoye

31 / Male / –
O.P. RE: New PC Build
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
quote:

PSU 400w £13

most likely this is a crap PSU... 400W is enough, but the price isn't... Go for a higher price range. Never cut budget on the PSU!

If you buy one and you can choose between a few, get the one that is the heaviest. This indicates in almost all cases a very decent quality.

Look if there are plugs to put the power of your monitor in (very handy; though in that case get a PSU with a bit more wattage).

Also see: http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=51...d=551342#pid551342

thanks!

think i will go for a 600W

quote:
Originally posted by Ptoye
quote:

Mointer to be decided, hoping dual screen ( i will be willing to change Mobo for one with dvi and vgd support if that one does not)

quote:
quote:

That mostly depends on your graphics card, not your motherboard.

Get a decent graphics card which supports dual view (not all do! some only support clone view), and one with two DVI connectors (not one with one VGA and one DVI).

Never knew that some only suported clone view :|

thanks, i will ask the guy at th local pc shop which one in the range to get.

quote:
Originally posted by Dazzy
quote:

Originally posted by Ptoye
Mointer to be decided, hoping dual screen ( i will be willing to change Mobo for one with dvi and vgd support if that one does not)

Seeing as youre not going to be gaming, as you said in your previous post, get a nVidia 7300 GS. I used to have that and it ran dual screens fine.

Yeh i think a dedicated grapics card would be a good idea .. thanks

@ dazzy - Thanks for the AMD and intel setups! i think i like them, the two asus drives look very good, but i dont think i shoulhd be spending that much on a PSU....

quote:
Originally posted by traxor
You should try and get a smaller monitor and you'll get the package cheaper, or of course get a better graphics card or something. The biggest screen anyone needs is 17", which is 1280x1024. Which is, in my opinion the best resolution for games etc.

I agree although i have saved up enough (will save more though :p) for dual screens (hopefully 20") so i may aswell use the money, i like the concept of dual screens too so :P

thanks everyone :D

A lot of help there, alot of info for me to take into condideration, one i get it build (eventually :P) i will post a thread in GCC or T&T about it to let you see what i ended up getting..

thanks again!
P.toye

This post was edited on 04-16-2007 at 05:37 PM by Ptoye.
www.mediaonthemove.net

04-16-2007 05:32 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: New PC Build
The money you can spare if you buy some smaller screen can be better used for other critical things like memory and/or cpu. Two 20" screens is seriously over the top if you ask me, especially if you need to cut down on other components.  A screen is almost the least important and critical thing in the whole system. It is also something which you can easly expand later on. If you don't have enough money, cut down on the screens, you can later always buy a bigger one.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
04-16-2007 07:39 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Ptoye

31 / Male / –
O.P. RE: New PC Build
quote:
The money you can spare if you buy some smaller screen can be better used for other critical things like memory and/or cpu. Two 20" screens is seriously over the top if you ask me, especially if you need to cut down on other components.  A screen is almost the least important and critical thing in the whole system. It is also something which you can easly expand later on. If you don't have enough money, cut down on the screens, you can later always buy a bigger one.

I see what you mean..... possibly i could just get one moniter ATM and then put the money in CPU/RAM.Grapics card... good thinking :> thanks :D
www.mediaonthemove.net

04-16-2007 07:59 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Jhrono
Veteran Member

32 / Male / Flag
Maybe you should do some research first.. That hardware is awfully outdated..

Here's a brief (like a sketch) list of what you should try to buy :

A good case, which provides good airflow (incase you want air cooling, if we're talking about water cooling, it's an whole different matter) and similar construction quality..
Examples of good brands are Lian Li and Silverstone

Next, a good power supply.. Power Supplies aren't all about Watts. You should revise how many Amps. they got on the 12V line and how many rails they've got in each line (the more amps. the better, and the fewer rails the better). Good brands when it comes to PSUs are Corsair, OCZ etc..

Now, Motherboard.. Try getting the new DFI Infinity P965-S Dark, it is said to be stable and to have good Overclock abilities..  It features the P965 Intel Chipset, thus it won't support SLI in any way, but you surely don't want that, I guess. If you don't want to risk your way into DFI, go straight to Asus, they've just released a brand of motherboards dedicated to Windows Vista, one of which actually features onboard flash memory (need to confirm this), which boosts the "Vista Experience", through Vista ReadyBoost technology

Then, CPU.. Try to get an Intel Core 2 Duo E6600.. With the come of new Conroes, the E6600 has dropped price (something like 260 Euros; now, a while back it was 340 Euros).. It really is a great processor, not a toaster like P4 and a great overclocker.
However, I recommend you getting an after market cpu heatsink, like Tuniq Tower 120 (which tops all air cooling heatsinks), since the Stock Intel heatsink sucks (as usual).

Then, graphics card.. Tomorrow (April 17th), there will be available the new mid-range DirectX10 video cards (8600 GT & GTS), at really affordable prices.. Buying anything else besides nVidia 8xxx series right now is not a good idea.. Good video card brands are eVGA, XFX and so on..

As far as RAM is concerned, try to get 2 Gb at 400 Mhz (800 Mhz Effective) DDR2, with the lower timings possible.. Good brands are Team Elite, Corsair, Geil etc..

As for Hard Drives, try getting some SATA II (300 Mb/s transfer rate) drives.. You can get some cheap prices right now.. Look for low access time and 16 Mb cache, not 8 Mb.

Oh and the optical drives, buy one which Asus launched 2 months ago (Edir : Asus DRW-1814BLT DVD-RAM LightScribe), DVD-+RW, SATA and features lightscribe.. I don't think there's much need for two optical drives but if you think so, buy 2, they aren't really expensive

This post was edited on 04-17-2007 at 12:04 AM by Jhrono.
The world is yours
04-17-2007 12:00 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Verte

RE: RE: New PC Build
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevisedDon't get more than 3GB, more than 3GB is totally useless.
No way, especially with Vista. If you're using Vista on a 32 bit machine especially- with 4GB you can almost stop it thrashing and caching it's brains out :D Well, that said, I don't know what you will be using it for so there's a chance you will use less. Still, it's nice to have all your ram in physical ram rather than on your disk!
was put impeccably into words at DebianDay for me last Saturday, by Knut Yrvin of Trolltech - adults try something once, fail, and then are like "ffs this doesn't work". Children try, fail, and then try again, and succeed - maybe on the second, or even fifth retry. But the thing is that they keep at it and overcome the problems in the end.

-andrewdodd13
04-19-2007 09:21 AM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Verte
No way, especially with Vista. If you're using Vista on a 32 bit machine especially- with 4GB you can almost stop it thrashing and caching it's brains out :D Well, that said, I don't know what you will be using it for so there's a chance you will use less. Still, it's nice to have all your ram in physical ram rather than on your disk!
yes way...

If you're using a 32bit system, it is absolutely useless to add more than 3GB (well 3,5 something actually) performance wise. The added memory will not add anything in performance, speed, memory usage, etc. It will simply be wasted and not being used. Even if you have 2 processes using each 2GB of memory, Windows will still need to use a pagefile (even in Vista!).

There are hundreds of benchmarks to back this up too
And all this for normal PC usage (thus not talking about server editions of Windows, etc

This post was edited on 05-03-2007 at 12:26 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
05-03-2007 12:03 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Jhrono
Veteran Member

32 / Male / Flag
By the way, you shouldn't buy a PC just now. Wait for the new few months, Q6600 is coming to replace E6600 (Quad CPU), new motherboards with the P35 Intel Chipset (Supporting DDR3), ATi Dx10 cards (Supposedly) coming out soon, Nvidia 8800 Ultra coming out too..

Just wait a while
The world is yours
05-03-2007 01:45 PM
Verte

RE: RE: New PC Build
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Verte
yes way...

If you're using a 32bit system, it is absolutely useless to add more than 3GB (well 3,5 something actually) performance wise. The added memory will not add anything in performance, speed, memory usage, etc. It will simply be wasted and not being used. Even if you have 2 processes using each 2GB of memory, Windows will still need to use a pagefile (even in Vista!).

There are hundreds of benchmarks to back this up too
And all this for normal PC usage (thus not talking about server editions of Windows, etc

Then you can turn all pagefiles off :)

I know, it's still kind of overkill. I've just had too many experiences [mostly mathematical models and simulations, your mileage may vary elsewhere] with Windows paging with nearly a gig of free ram, sucking my performance down. Moving from a recent Windows machine to a six year old laptop running Unix cuts the simulation time by a factor of about five. I haven't had the time to check Windows with paging turned off, I only heard it could be done without deep magic in #Python the other day, but I imagine the speedup could be similar in programs that access a lot of ram at a time.

BTW Cookie, you sure these benchmarks are for 32 bit?
was put impeccably into words at DebianDay for me last Saturday, by Knut Yrvin of Trolltech - adults try something once, fail, and then are like "ffs this doesn't work". Children try, fail, and then try again, and succeed - maybe on the second, or even fifth retry. But the thing is that they keep at it and overcome the problems in the end.

-andrewdodd13
05-03-2007 03:28 PM
Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: