What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » YAY Free ubuntu CD's again!

Pages: (7): « First « 1 2 3 [ 4 ] 5 6 7 » Last »
YAY Free ubuntu CD's again!
Author: Message:
Verte

RE: RE: YAY Free ubuntu CD's again!
quote:
Originally posted by ICQ
ok, now you've done that, , is this Comment from Canonical or from Billy Gates impersonating Canonical .. if i remember Redhat made some statement similiar to that a few years ago, but IMO even if Canonical Made tht statement, wouldnt suprise me since he's using a Windows Like installer in Ubuntu

Honestly, the statement is taken out of context a bit, and was made during the beginnings of the dell Linux kerfuffle. I think what he was trying to say was a disclaimer to stop the birth of millions of n00bs, especially the ones that will give up after five minutes of wondering where the "start menu" is.

The link is an interview by Andreas Proschofsky while Mark was bouncing around Europe, so it doesn't strike me as being a fake.

I don't think he'd deny that Ubuntu makes a lot more sense than Windows, say, but it's getting through the years of conditioning that makes it hard to convince people to switch.
was put impeccably into words at DebianDay for me last Saturday, by Knut Yrvin of Trolltech - adults try something once, fail, and then are like "ffs this doesn't work". Children try, fail, and then try again, and succeed - maybe on the second, or even fifth retry. But the thing is that they keep at it and overcome the problems in the end.

-andrewdodd13
04-26-2007 04:03 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
tony

36 / Male / Flag
RE: YAY Free ubuntu CD's again!
Shipped/Cancelled requests

* 10 CDs requested on 2006-08-23. 10 CDs were approved and sent to the shipping company on 2006-08-29. Please note requests usually take from 4 to 6 weeks to deliver, depending on the country of shipping.
    * 3 CDs requested on 2007-04-20. 3 CDs were approved and sent to the shipping company on 2007-04-23. Please note requests usually take from 4 to 6 weeks to deliver, depending on the country of shipping.

:D
[Image: beginnerbadgeef2.gif][Image: danceichigoow9.gif]
04-26-2007 05:40 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Hank
Banned

– / – / Flag
this is what i hate,  i know these cd's are free, but are/will people actually use these cd's? . i'd like to see Canonical stop this " shipit free program '
04-26-2007 05:51 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
aNILEator
Skinning Contest Winner

...in the wake of the aNILEator

35 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: YAY Free ubuntu CD's again!
quote:
Originally posted by ICQ
this is what i hate,  i know these cd's are free, but are/will people actually use these cd's? . i'd like to see Canonical stop this " shipit free program '

They do state the requested CD function is better suited to CD give-aways for college/university students etc, I for one could see a PC magazine requesting XXXX CD's for giving away with their monthly mag along with some other software and guides etc inside, infact i'd actually buy it if there were :D
04-26-2007 10:15 PM
Chris4
Elite Member

32 / Male / Flag
Ordered a single CD a few days ago :)
Twitter: @ChrisLozeau
04-26-2007 11:13 PM
Lou
Veteran Member

– / Male / Flag
3 Cds (the x86 and x64 pack). I want to try 64 bit again, but I'd also like a 32 bit version as this is the only pc that's capable of 64 bit in the house :P

Thanks.
[Image: msghelp.net.png]
The future holds bright things in it\\\'s path, but only time will tell what they are and where they come from.
Messenger Stuff Forums
04-26-2007 11:45 PM
aNILEator
Skinning Contest Winner

35 / Male / Flag
I installed it but broke it trying to replace the graphics handler with something else and installing XGL or whatever it's called (I blame old tutorials)

I'll probably try again in summer or when there's some X1600 support
04-27-2007 01:19 PM
aNILEator
Skinning Contest Winner

35 / Male / Flag
w00tage  CD's arrived today with stickers :D
05-10-2007 01:04 PM
andrey
elite shoutboxer

– / Male / Flag
yay! :cheesy:

[Image: ubuntu.jpg]
[Image: w2kzw8qp-sq2_dz_b_xmas.png]
05-11-2007 08:10 PM
Thor
Veteran Member

Awwwwwwww.

31 / – / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by aNILEator

I installed it but broke it trying to replace the graphics handler with something else and installing XGL or whatever it's called (I blame old tutorials)

I'll probably try again in summer or when there's some X1600 support
Forget about using beryl btw. :P Unless you want to use an old suckish version of it. ;)

Compiz is quite nice though.
If you follow the tutorial that is linked to at wiki.beryl-..... to cchtml.com, then it covers it all. :)
:plus4: Translation guidelines for Messenger Plus! Live
I'm no longer around this town, but I miss the community dearly. You can always find me lurking in #banana, or at
nitrolinken.net.
05-11-2007 11:22 PM
Pages: (7): « First « 1 2 3 [ 4 ] 5 6 7 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: