What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » *Free* Partition Manager [SOLVED]

Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
*Free* Partition Manager [SOLVED]
Author: Message:
ryxdp

29 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: *Free* Partition Manager
Well, it seems that I might have a valid copy of PartitionMagic 8, due to my dad having version 6, thusly having the serial key. But I'm not sure whether or not it will work (Nothing's come up yet, but I haven't made any changes either, so...)

It says as a side note when I'm resizing my C:\ drive:

"This partition crosses the 1024 cylinder boundary and may not be bootable."

Is this something I should watch out for? I'm not really that good with this sort of stuff (partitions etc.)
04-20-2007 05:46 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Adeptus

RE: *Free* Partition Manager
You shouldn't worry about that message -- it mainly applies to old versions of Windows. 

The BIOS disk I/O functions used by bootloaders are unable to read past cylinder 1024 due to historical limitations.  Current Windows versions solve this problem by placing the essential files this applies to at the beginning of the partition, and they are not likely to be moved by PartitionMagic.

That said, partition resizing is a "hack" and not something intended by design, which is why Microsoft doesn't offer tools to do that.  Although quite safe, there is always some minuscule possibility of a resize going badly.  I'd recommend you back up your really important files as well as make sure you have access to a Windows CD, in case you need to repair your installation.

This post was edited on 04-20-2007 at 06:37 AM by Adeptus.
04-20-2007 06:22 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Verte

RE: RE: *Free* Partition Manager
quote:
Originally posted by Ryxpia
It's all in your head, Damokun...:P

a). I don't have a disc burner.
b). I didn't run the LiveCD. It seems to only be for Linux or something (unknown file types were found in the .gz).

You will probably need to find someone who can burn it for you. The liveCD should recognise those files when it boots- but it needs to boot, rather than Windows. I doubt it's trivial to boot to an .iso without burning it from Windows, but I have no experience there.

Though this is kind of strange. Far as I know, ext2/3 can be resized practically on the fly, so there's not much need for a standalone Linux partition manager? I know the Debian installer allows you to adjust ntfs partitions: that's too much hassle, but it shows it's possible. Interesting.
was put impeccably into words at DebianDay for me last Saturday, by Knut Yrvin of Trolltech - adults try something once, fail, and then are like "ffs this doesn't work". Children try, fail, and then try again, and succeed - maybe on the second, or even fifth retry. But the thing is that they keep at it and overcome the problems in the end.

-andrewdodd13
04-20-2007 06:52 AM
ryxdp

29 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: *Free* Partition Manager
Well it seems everything rounded out perfectly, with me about to reboot to make some changes thanks to a ripped version of Partition Magic 8.0 (retrieved with a bit of help from Damokun :D).

Thanks anyone and everyone who helped :P
04-20-2007 07:54 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Vilkku
Veteran Member

35 / Male / Flag
RE: RE: *Free* Partition Manager
quote:
Originally posted by Ryxpia
Well it seems everything rounded out perfectly, with me about to reboot to make some changes thanks to a ripped version of Partition Magic 8.0 (retrieved with a bit of help from Damokun :D).

Thanks anyone and everyone who helped :P

Good luck :D

EDIT: That story is missing the end actually, as I ended up reformating anyway, as Windows wasn't working properly (but I was able to backup everything I had, so it was no biggie). Also note that my new site has a bigger awesomeness factor!

This post was edited on 04-20-2007 at 09:06 AM by Vilkku.
[Image: signature.php]
04-20-2007 09:03 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Verte

RE: *Free* Partition Manager [SOLVED]
Just need to fix the emptyness factor :)
was put impeccably into words at DebianDay for me last Saturday, by Knut Yrvin of Trolltech - adults try something once, fail, and then are like "ffs this doesn't work". Children try, fail, and then try again, and succeed - maybe on the second, or even fifth retry. But the thing is that they keep at it and overcome the problems in the end.

-andrewdodd13
04-20-2007 09:43 AM
Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: