What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » error safe redirect?

error safe redirect?
Author: Message:
High Speed Chaser

Don't mess with the Wambulance!

– / Male / Flag
O.P. error safe redirect?
I'm on a website and sometimes I get redirected to the error safe website. It only happens on that website but I know that site is safe. Is this a website thing because I did a virus scan and nothing comes up. Pc-Cillin blocks it but it gets really annoying to be redirected to the error safe website from a safe site.
If only I knew what I should put here
04-25-2007 10:37 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Verte

RE: error safe redirect?
I'm not sure if this will fix it, but if you're using firefox or iceweasel with the NoScript plugin, you can turn off meta redirects. I use it to get around Microsoft forums that redirect you if you turn javashit off. You do have to make that one extra click if you really did want to be redirected, but it's worth it for all the rude behaviour it stops.

And besides, if you do browse that site with firefox + noscript, there's very little chance of a security problem anyway.
was put impeccably into words at DebianDay for me last Saturday, by Knut Yrvin of Trolltech - adults try something once, fail, and then are like "ffs this doesn't work". Children try, fail, and then try again, and succeed - maybe on the second, or even fifth retry. But the thing is that they keep at it and overcome the problems in the end.

-andrewdodd13
04-25-2007 02:35 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: error safe redirect?
Using a plugin like NoScript will give you a _false_ feeling of security! There are still many things which might go wrong and can be a security risk...

If you are visiting a site which is labelled as insecure and you know _for a fact!_ that the site is safe, simply put the site in your allow list.

Although remember that if a anti-whatever program says a site is a security risk in most cases it does mean it is a security risk!

Also note that doing a virusscan will not tell you if a site is safe or not. Sites and programs on your harddisk are two completely different things, not to be confussed.

As a matter of fact, doing a virusscan just like that and without first rebooting into safe mode quite often does not detect all virusses because if there are already virusses running they quite often mask themselfs out for the scanners. Always reboot in safe mode before doing a virusscan.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
04-25-2007 02:50 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Verte

RE: RE: error safe redirect?
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
Using a plugin like NoScript will give you a _false_ feeling of security! There are still many things which might go wrong and can be a security risk...

You're quite right, there are a lot of non-javascript security problems out there. I'm not even sure, but I think NoScript leaves about:blank scripts on. However, together with FF/IW which I'm pretty sure have ActiveX scripts [even worse] off by default [but you should always check that too!], you're safe from a lot of common attacks.

Flash, Qt and easiest of all WMP attacks are still quite possible and you need to think about that before enabling these plugins. I prefer to download the content and view it outside of my browser, except with flash which I run as its own user. *

I also don't keep up with Windows security, like the .ani exploit that effortlessly gets around the IE7 sandboxing in Vista, but the firefox team do a pretty good job with serious security problems.

* EDIT: well, did under Linux. The educated would know there's no flash player for FreeBSD, although you can run it on the Linux compatability layer, I still haven't bothered setting it up. Just so you know.

This post was edited on 04-25-2007 at 03:18 PM by Verte.
was put impeccably into words at DebianDay for me last Saturday, by Knut Yrvin of Trolltech - adults try something once, fail, and then are like "ffs this doesn't work". Children try, fail, and then try again, and succeed - maybe on the second, or even fifth retry. But the thing is that they keep at it and overcome the problems in the end.

-andrewdodd13
04-25-2007 03:13 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: