What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Imacs

Imacs
Author: Message:
Ptoye

31 / Male / –
O.P. Imacs
Well firstly i am sorry for making yet another thread about my new computer, i just want to make sure i get what i want and that i am not disapointed!

well after going though dell, you may remember, they offered me a system for £600 i think, cant remember :S

- AMD CPU
   - 2GB RAM
   - Vista home premium
   - 320GB HDD
   - 256MB grapics card
   - 20" screen

and all the other junk

i was very interested in this, but then i was onto my next option, build it my-self, i found a very nice case which i likes and all the part to go with it, I think i got this to around £700 including a dual 19" scree setup.

Well now i am on my 3rd option... an Imac 24", standerd setup, £1350 but i found it in glasgow (about 50 miles from my home town) for £1225. I really like this, and the fact that its a mac. BUT as most people should know it must be the worst time to spend that sort of money at this moment in time, with all the things apple should have comeing up as everything is overdue an update and ofcourse leopard. so now that they have put the realese date back to October it give me much more time to save up the extra £600-£700, baring in mind i am only 14!   So does anyone currently own an Imac 24, if so what good about it and whats bad, also any comments on what you think will happen between now and june 11th ( WWDC)

Thanks Everyone :D

P.toye

EDIT: also i have heard a few rumors that apple are opening an Apple store on Princess street, my main shopping centre :d, as i has never been to a grand opening for an apple store, do they do any deals on opening day?

This post was edited on 04-29-2007 at 08:00 PM by Ptoye.
www.mediaonthemove.net

04-29-2007 07:55 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Nathan
Veteran Member

Yeah, "large dimensions" ;)

– / Male / Flag
RE: Imacs
My nan has one. There awesome to use. The mouse and keyboard that come are awesome.

Stability great, however i got the menu bar at the bottom to crash ^^

I'd serously go for one becuase you can use windows with it as well now.
Touch Innovation - touch friendly programs/applications for the windows mobile!

04-29-2007 08:17 PM
Ptoye

31 / Male / –
O.P. RE: Imacs
quote:
Originally posted by Nathan
My nan has one. There awesome to use. The mouse and keyboard that come are awesome.

Yeh, best of both world :P

But to install xp/vista i have got a re-install disk for my dell computer and will be getting an upgrade disk to vista (between now and june11th :@)  would i be able to use that or would i need to get a fresh copy?

also what does everything think i should do, spend the money i ave now £850 and get a 17" or wait and get a 24" with leopard and the re-design?

thanks Everyone

P.toye
www.mediaonthemove.net

04-30-2007 06:38 AM
user35870
Disabled Account

RE: RE: Imacs
quote:
Originally posted by Ptoye
quote:
Originally posted by Nathan

Yeh, best of both world :P

But to install xp/vista i have got a re-install disk for my dell computer and will be getting an upgrade disk to vista (between now and june11th :@)  would i be able to use that or would i need to get a fresh copy?

also what does everything think i should do, spend the money i ave now £850 and get a 17" or wait and get a 24" with leopard and the re-design?

thanks Everyone

P.toye

You will not be able to use a Dell-Restore upgrade disk in any other computer than a dell.
04-30-2007 08:47 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
albert
Veteran Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
EDIT: also i have heard a few rumors that apple are opening an Apple store on Princess street, my main shopping centre , as i has never been to a grand opening for an apple store, do they do any deals on opening day?

WHen they opened a store here in Laval, they simply gave free shirt to the first 100 or 1000 customers.. I never bothered going tbh.
04-30-2007 03:05 PM
Ptoye

31 / Male / –
O.P. RE: Imacs
quote:
Originally posted by Chris UK
You will not be able to use a Dell-Restore upgrade disk in any other computer than a dell.

:@ owell i am sure i can get it somewhere elce :P

quote:
Originally posted by alby
quote:
EDIT: also i have heard a few rumors that apple are opening an Apple store on Princess street, my main shopping centre , as i has never been to a grand opening for an apple store, do they do any deals on opening day?

WHen they opened a store here in Laval, they simply gave free shirt to the first 100 or 1000 customers.. I never bothered going tbh.

OHH i want a free t-shirt :P i like anything free :P

This post was edited on 04-30-2007 at 04:21 PM by Ptoye.
www.mediaonthemove.net

04-30-2007 04:20 PM
joey

Epoc Faileur.

33 / Other / Flag
get me one! i need a new t-shirt pleeaase. (H)

Break my heart all you want, i'm on the NHS.
ever wondered what it's like to ejaculate through your ears...? ;o
04-30-2007 04:22 PM
andrewdodd13

Oh so retro

34 / Male / Flag
Personally, I've always thought macs were a wee bit overpriced for the hardware inside them, although a 24" does look nice. As for Mac OS X, I've (admittedly, illegally) installed it on this PC - I wasn't a great fan. Sure, you could do everything efficiently, the only problem was there really wasn't that much to do.

The Dell PC looks the business, although you'd want to make sure that the 256MB graphics card is separate from the motherboard, not one of those shared-memory jobbies that most computer manufacturers flog these days. The only problem (IMHO) is Vista - XP still runs a sight faster on all hardware - without the eye-candy of course.

The iMac is based around Core 2 duos from what I've seen, which are the fastest desktop based processor at the moment. However, AMDs Barcelona chip is supposedly up to 50% faster than a Core 2. I doubt if you'd be able to upgrade the Dell to a Barca-Core anyway.

Also, if you're doing any gaming (unlikely on a Mac, in reality), the Apple site quotes "NVIDIA 7300 GT graphics card, offering up to 60% faster performance over the 20-inch model.". This card is becoming outdated, with the current model being the 8800. AFAIK the 7300 is also the low end of the 7xxx series, with the 7900's being the high-end cards.

Building it yourself is a good option, although I dunno why you'd want a dual-19" layout - that's too wide IMO, although that's up to preference really.

PS. I do most of my casual browsing on Princes Street as well :p I've not heard anything about an Apple store though.
[Image: AndrewsStyle.png]
04-30-2007 04:31 PM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: