What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » General » General Chit Chat » Help Fight Diseases (Cancer, AIDS etc) Join the BRAND NEW World Community Grid Team!

Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
2 votes - 5 average   Help Fight Diseases (Cancer, AIDS etc) Join the BRAND NEW World Community Grid Team!
Author: Message:
aNILEator
Skinning Contest Winner

...in the wake of the aNILEator

35 / Male / Flag
O.P. Help Fight Diseases (Cancer, AIDS etc) Join the BRAND NEW World Community Grid Team!
Unfortunately in this time and age we have terrible life destroying illness's affecting friends, family and ourselves

I myself lost my mother to breast cancer in 2001, she was 39 (40 the next month) I was 11.

My Grandad has now also unfortunately been diagnosed with cancer and is receiving treatment (Thankfully it seems to be going well)

And now I have severe back problems, including but not limited to Scoliosis, Sciatica, 3/4 lower disc degenerations, collapsed discs and 2 disc protrusions.

What I am Trying to say is that I am sure many of you have experienced these life changing disease in one way or another and would love to help put an end to them.

NOW YOU CAN
...And you don't even need to become a doctor!

1) To start helping out, you can register and download the software here:
          >>https://secure.worldcommunitygrid.org/reg/viewRegister.do

2) Then you can optionally Join the Messenger Plus! Team here:
          >>http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/team/viewTeamIn...teamId=Z17QB19CTR1

Team Description:
quote:
The Messenger Plus! Team.

Want to Enhance your Messenger for FREE?
Then visit www.msgpluslive.net to download the Msgplus Live! add on; With its many features and ability to add your own scripts, Messenger Plus! is by far the most recognised and probably most respected add-on created for WLM EVER!
Our aim is to help fight disease and research into other extremely useful projects.
HELP US ACHIEVE OUR GOAL, YOU NEVER KNOW YOU MAY BENEFIT FROM ITS RESEARCH ONE DAY!!!

If this could be Pinned it would be great, Thank you, hope to see you all in the new team!

EDIT: Just heard my Auntie has developed breast cancer now too :sad:
Breast cancer in complete recession :)

Not done this in a while, but the PS3 does :)

This post was edited on 02-24-2010 at 01:05 PM by aNILEator.
05-01-2007 02:40 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
matt

skate is not a crime...

32 / Male / Flag
RE: Help Fight Diseases (Cancer, AIDS etc) Join the BRAND NEW World Community Grid Team!
You know I am with you Cheers! I am getting into the web page after sending this reply.....:)

Edit: I am registered now.

This post was edited on 03-21-2008 at 11:52 PM by matt.
03-21-2008 11:46 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Quantum
Disabled Account

Away.

30 / Male / Flag
RE: Help Fight Diseases (Cancer, AIDS etc) Join the BRAND NEW World Community Grid Team!
I'll register BUT what is the software?
No longer here.
03-21-2008 11:55 PM
aNILEator
Skinning Contest Winner

35 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Help Fight Diseases (Cancer, AIDS etc) Join the BRAND NEW World Community Grid Te
it's basically number crunching for the researchers on mass scale, the SONY PS3's have this technology built into them now too so when your console is idle it's CPU can be being used to the researchers gather data about whatever project is currently running.

they can easily compare the results then and see various stats; poor example: how many chromosomes are there in a strand of human DNA

Earlier projects were measuring what the content/genetic makeup of the various chromosomes for the human genome project were I think.

It does not demand anything from your computer and only uses idle resources, so if you for instance started up a modern game, it would only use whatever percentage of free CPU 'bandwidth' there was available, rather than a constant 33% CPU usage you know?

more info on all current projects can be found on the world community grid site, where you can also choose which projects to support

This post was edited on 03-22-2008 at 12:16 AM by aNILEator.
03-22-2008 12:13 AM
Quantum
Disabled Account

Away.

30 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by aNILEator
it's basically number crunching for the researchers on mass scale, the SONY PS3's have this technology built into them now too so when your console is idle it's CPU can be being used to the researchers gather data about whatever project is currently running.

they can easily compare the results then and see various stats; poor example: how many chromosomes are there in a strand of human DNA

Earlier projects were measuring what the content/genetic makeup of the various chromosomes for the human genome project were I think.

It does not demand anything from your computer and only uses idle resources, so if you for instance started up a modern game, it would only use whatever percentage of free CPU 'bandwidth' there was available, rather than a constant 33% CPU usage you know?

more info on all current projects can be found on the world community grid site, where you can also choose which projects to support

So its the same principal as donating spare money..

I'll download it :)

Error     

* The application is unavailable at this time, please try again later.

Your action has resulted in an error.

This post was edited on 03-22-2008 at 12:32 AM by Quantum.
No longer here.
03-22-2008 12:29 AM
aNILEator
Skinning Contest Winner

35 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Help Fight Diseases (Cancer, AIDS etc) Join the BRAND NEW World Community Grid Te
quote:
Originally posted by john-t
Nooooot reeeaaaaaly, that'd be funding this is kinda working

but in the sense of donating something to help the effort then yes. It's also fun and interesting watching the computer crack away at proteins and stuff (you can have it's visuals run as a screensaver) :)

Really? both clients? try again tomorrow, i'm sure there's a mirror on cnet too....

This post was edited on 03-22-2008 at 06:48 AM by aNILEator.
03-22-2008 06:47 AM
matt

skate is not a crime...

32 / Male / Flag
RE: RE: Help Fight Diseases (Cancer, AIDS etc) Join the BRAND NEW World Community Grid Te
quote:
Originally posted by aNILEator
quote:
Originally posted by john-t
Nooooot reeeaaaaaly, that'd be funding this is kinda working

but in the sense of donating something to help the effort then yes. It's also fun and interesting watching the computer crack away at proteins and stuff (you can have it's visuals run as a screensaver) :)

Really? both clients? try again tomorrow, i'm sure there's a mirror on cnet too....

mmmm... i had the same problem on trying to download the software, it also gets stock and crashes. 

i will have to try tmrw then? or can i do this now,:^) :)
03-22-2008 07:51 AM
LieutenantPetrelli

Who will you become?

30 / Male / Flag
im going to join, i lost my memere (grandma) to pancreutic cancer 3 1/2 months ago

p.s sorry for the spelling error
When the rich wage war, its the poor who die
05-14-2008 09:56 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
JSCIII

34 / Male / Flag
Grin  RE: Help Fight Diseases (Cancer, AIDS etc) Join the BRAND NEW World Community Grid Te
Great!! an excellent topic!! i believe that it's important to care about people with STD and other fatal deceases, but, how to be useful while being un-useful in your computer? xD :P if you havent seen or heard about I'M MAKING A DIFFERENCE, here is a link for you, it is very important for this people to get help. http://im.live.com/Messenger/IM/Home/

bye!! good luck!!

This post was edited on 10-03-2008 at 01:19 AM by JSCIII.
10-03-2008 01:18 AM
aljawal

39 / Male / Flag
Great!! an excellent topic!! i believe that it's important to care about people with STD and other fatal deceases, but, how to be useful while being un-useful in your computer? xD :P if you havent seen or heard about I'M MAKING A DIFFERENCE, here is a link for you, it is very important for this people to get help. http://im.live.com/Messenger/IM/Home/

bye!! good luck!!
05-06-2009 12:17 AM
Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: