What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » General » General Chit Chat » My health and Back problems, your opinion please

Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
My health and Back problems, your opinion please
Author: Message:
aNILEator
Skinning Contest Winner

...in the wake of the aNILEator

35 / Male / Flag
O.P. My health and Back problems, your opinion please
OK as some may know i have some pretty hefty back problems, (degenerate disc disease, scoliosis, sciatica...... etc.....)

I've been thinking about it more and more and just now been searching google for the surgery options doctors and professors have mentioned to me and none look good at all especially considering my age.

I have another epidural injection on Wednesday so I'll be out of action Wednesday and Thursday most likely (really annoyed as I'll probably not get animation done now and lose out on competition :'() however at last meet prof thought this will be my last epidural and we should look into surgery.

I turn to the forums as there is a widespread knowledge and many good friends here that have seen me through some tough times;

The standard procedure at the moment for the issues I have is a Triple Level Posterior Lumbar Fusion (search google lots of illustrations and a few animations explaining the situation/operation) a 1 level fusion has about 85% success rate this decreases the more levels required (so my success rate will be pretty damn low)

As my main source of pain currently is my left leg, the Prof wanted to perform an operation to relieve the stress/tension/pressure my discs are putting on my nerves, although confident, this will also not heal me

And a fairly recent procedure of disc replacement therapy (As far as I know not on the UK NHS) however some sites i saw seemed to suggest that I could not have this treatment as I have more than one disc that would need replacing

As is stands I pretty much face a life of pain and suffering ahead of me trapped in my prison of a body whatever route taken

I'd rather not die, for obvious lack of life reasons :P But I won't lie, the thought has been through my mind on occasion.

I'm sick of being stared/pointed/laughed at and talked about in derogative manners behind my back by complete strangers and so called friends.

If you were in my situation, how would you cope, what would you do? what would you choose? How would you suggest I lead my life and what decisions should I make regarding these health issues?

Thanks in advance for all decent replies

Nile

This post was edited on 05-04-2007 at 12:36 AM by aNILEator.
05-03-2007 11:55 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Supersonicdarky
Veteran Member

– / – / Flag
RE: My health and Back problems, your opinion please
i wouldnt go with the procedures, because i hate changing my body in any way (piercings, surgery, haircuts =p). most other people would tho.

really sad to hear this ;<
05-04-2007 12:29 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
aNILEator
Skinning Contest Winner

35 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: My health and Back problems, your opinion please
without them my discs will just degenerate and/or collapse and protrude further into my nerves causing yet more pain, I've had a few really bad painful days recently

The worst I get though is an extra bad form of cramp except it lasts for days afterwards and during the cramp I can't sleep and just scream and cry and writhe around trying to find a just the right position to not feel the pain, which normally doesn't happen either

This post was edited on 05-04-2007 at 12:34 AM by aNILEator.
05-04-2007 12:31 AM
Supersonicdarky
Veteran Member

– / – / Flag
thats why i said other people would do it. i dont really care about my self and if i have natural defects, i'd live with them. even if it meant pain for the rest of my life. i suggest you get it done tho.
05-04-2007 12:35 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Chrono
forum admin

;o

39 / Male / Flag
i would take the risk if i was you.
[Image: wdz_discrate.png]
05-04-2007 12:53 AM
aNILEator
Skinning Contest Winner

35 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: My health and Back problems, your opinion please
well the one prof wanted to do first should next epidural not cut it is the leg relief of which i assume is going to be cutting away at one of my discs I'll be going for that anyway (although I love the idea of a bionic back :P as long as it has latest kernels LOL)
05-04-2007 12:56 AM
vaccination
Veteran Member

32 / Male / –
Sorry to hear it's getting worse :sad:

If it was me, I'd probably take the surgery. I hate surgery, but if there's a chance it would help, even a little, then I'd most likely take it.

I hope things start getting better for you though. - And just as my back pains were getting slowly better =(
[Image: jumbled.png]
05-04-2007 07:02 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
joey

Epoc Faileur.

33 / Other / Flag
im not suprised you've got a bad back vaccy, look at the way you fly!!:P

you should get the surgery, life's a gamble anyway.

Break my heart all you want, i'm on the NHS.
ever wondered what it's like to ejaculate through your ears...? ;o
05-04-2007 09:52 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Sunshine
Elite Member

– / Female / Flag
Nile, it's obvious something needs to be done to prevent even more pain. Nerve damage will cause pain for the rest of your life (unless they kill the nerve)...so anything that can be done to prevent that should be done. However after reading http://orthopedics.about.com/cs/backpain/a/discreplacement.htm i think you should not go for Spine Fusion at this time, atleast not without looking deeper into the other possibility. Lumbar Disk Replacement sounds most promising, i would ask about that if i were you. If need be you can do the pressure relief operation for now.

I also understand beeing stared at etc can be very depressing. It's easy to say ignore them..i know that isn't easy..but well yea you'd have to. If it's your freinds doing that then they aint your friends. I got a mate over in the UK who's hernia operation went wrong, he has to walk with a crutch all the time and he smokes hashies/marihuana (not excactly sure wich and what exactly) to ease his pain from time to time..do you think i love him less for that? Hell no...and the same goes for you ;)

Edit: Some interesting read:
What is degenerative disc disease?
Living with degenerative disc disease
Deciding on surgery for degenerative disc disease
...and several links you find on the left under Related Information whilst reading these..i hope these will inform you some more and help making the correct decision.

This post was edited on 05-04-2007 at 04:05 PM by Sunshine.
[Image: 25dr3o9]
05-04-2007 11:16 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Val

30 / Other / Flag
Well I guess I should say something. I too have back problems. I went to the doctor months ago and nothing was really noticed, except that I stand a little bit awkward. Now it has gotten worse and my knees constantly hurt (it could be unrelated).

I would go with the surgery if I were you. If I got the info right, your condition keeps  getting worse so there is a slim chance it will go away by itself or anything like that. So just keep researching and talk to some people who have experience in the subject so they can help you find the best solution.

That's all I have to say. I hope you get better Nile!
Menthix:
Anonymous doesn\'t have a leader.
Anonymous is the leader of ShawnZ.

Max:
True. But deep down, we all know.
ShawnZ is incharge.
he is /b/ in human form.
05-04-2007 12:35 PM
Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode