What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Vista and Full-Screen Games Don't Get along

Pages: (3): « First « 1 2 [ 3 ] Last »
Vista and Full-Screen Games Don't Get along
Author: Message:
Jhrono
Veteran Member

32 / Male / Flag
RE: Vista and Full-Screen Games Don't Get along
quote:
Graphics     Intel GMA 950 With 224MB Shared Memory

This should be your problem.. You can't hope for that video card to cope with games set at high resolutions..
The world is yours
05-14-2007 11:19 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Verte

RE: RE: Vista and Full-Screen Games Don't Get along
quote:
Originally posted by joemailey
Well for starters, Games usually one of the only things that test your systems CPU higher than most applications.

Of course encoding movies etc. use lot of CPU.

My old pc use to over heat playing counter strike source and only counter strike source. Which turned out to be heating prob.

Graphics card was getting to hot along with my processor :)

P.s

Can u provide the full spec of your laptop or link to your laptop or the make and model of your laptop.

thanks

I agree, but, since Nagamasa specifically mentioned Vista I figured that while CPU utilisation may be higher with the same game under Vista compared to XP etc, it's insignificant considering how busy the CPU is running the game alone. By that logic, changing the operating system should not make that kind of heat difference.

quote:
Originally posted by Jhrono
quote:
Graphics     Intel GMA 950 With 224MB Shared Memory

This should be your problem.. You can't hope for that video card to cope with games set at high resolutions..

I remember when I had a whole 2 meg of graphics ram! Back in those days [I was about ten], the ammount of graphics ram decided more than anything what resolutions you could run at, and /everyone/ knew that there was not much point to having more than 1600x1200 so you'd never need a bigger graphics card. crazy how things change.
was put impeccably into words at DebianDay for me last Saturday, by Knut Yrvin of Trolltech - adults try something once, fail, and then are like "ffs this doesn't work". Children try, fail, and then try again, and succeed - maybe on the second, or even fifth retry. But the thing is that they keep at it and overcome the problems in the end.

-andrewdodd13
05-15-2007 04:01 AM
joemailey

38 / Male / –
Guess your sorted then :-)
nice laptop also.

Can find any compliants about it any.
05-15-2007 07:39 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Jhrono
Veteran Member

32 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Verte
I remember when I had a whole 2 meg of graphics ram! Back in those days [I was about ten], the ammount of graphics ram decided more than anything what resolutions you could run at, and /everyone/ knew that there was not much point to having more than 1600x1200 so you'd never need a bigger graphics card. crazy how things change.

lol yeah.. Nowadays the ammount of memory isn't the top demand for games (although it matters quite a lot). Core / Memory Clocks are :p

This post was edited on 05-15-2007 at 07:16 PM by Jhrono.
The world is yours
05-15-2007 10:27 AM
joemailey

38 / Male / –
Jhrono - fix your quote.  i didnt quote what you have said. your quote was by Verte
05-15-2007 10:37 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Verte

RE: RE: Vista and Full-Screen Games Don't Get along
quote:
Originally posted by Jhrono
quote:
Originally posted by Verte

lol yeah.. Nowadays the ammount of memory isn't the top demand for games (although it matters quite a lot). Core / Memory Clocks are :p

Quite right, the problem today is machines can't keep GPUs as busy as they should. I think it's a problem with the APIs myself, OpenGL is dated and I've never used DX but I imagine it's the same.
was put impeccably into words at DebianDay for me last Saturday, by Knut Yrvin of Trolltech - adults try something once, fail, and then are like "ffs this doesn't work". Children try, fail, and then try again, and succeed - maybe on the second, or even fifth retry. But the thing is that they keep at it and overcome the problems in the end.

-andrewdodd13
05-15-2007 04:05 PM
Pages: (3): « First « 1 2 [ 3 ] Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: