What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » [Solved] Windows and Ubuntu, sitting on a LAN...

[Solved] Windows and Ubuntu, sitting on a LAN...
Author: Message:
L. Coyote

Captain Obvious

38 / Male / Flag
O.P. [Solved] Windows and Ubuntu, sitting on a LAN...
So, yeah, basically, I'd like to know if it's possible to have a LAN with Windows and Ubuntu, and if so, how to do it.

I only want to share Internet from Ubuntu to Windows, and maybe see the drive from Windows... But sharing Internet is a priority, since I can't be on Ubuntu when my mom decides to use her laptop... 8-)

The Windows LAN is currently wired, not wireless. And there's no router, it's all direct. So, if it's possible to have it the same way, I'd like to know. (Y)

Edit: Please, avoid "buy this and that" suggestions!

Edit: Read this for some rambling explanation from my noobish self.

This post was edited on 05-14-2007 at 03:24 PM by L. Coyote.

Hack, hack, hack!
Finally became a Systems Analyst! :spam:

05-08-2007 02:43 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Sypher

36 / Male / Flag
RE: [Help] Windows and Ubuntu, sitting on a LAN...
Install Squid, a proxy server and set it up as a transparant proxy.

For the sharing, you'll need Samba.

There are lots of tutorials helping you out, most of them are generic. Debian ones are also an option as Ubuntu is based on it.

Or buy a router, those are not that expensive nowadays ;)
Messenger Plus Beta Tester
Plus! Live Faq Maintainer
05-08-2007 03:38 PM
Adeptus

quote:
Originally posted by L.Coyote
I only want to share Internet from Ubuntu to Windows, and maybe see the drive from Windows... But sharing Internet is a priority, since I can't be on Ubuntu when my mom decides to use her laptop...
The feature for Internet sharing on Linux is usually referred to as "IP masquerading".  There is a generic HOWTO for doing it the hard way with any Linux distribution, but it seems that Ubuntu provides a graphical tool for setting it up -- try this first.

Squid, which was mentioned by another poster, is a caching web proxy.  Combined with masquerading it may speed up web browsing a bit, but isn't necessary otherwise.  Without masquerading, it can be set up to share the connection for the purpose of web browsing only -- other apps that connect to Internet won't work through it.
05-08-2007 04:18 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
L. Coyote

Captain Obvious

38 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: [Help] Windows and Ubuntu, sitting on a LAN...
quote:
Originally posted by Sypher
There are lots of tutorials helping you out, most of them are generic. Debian ones are also an option as Ubuntu is based on it
I've not doubt about that, but a simple search on Google hadn't given me anything like what Adeptus linked.

quote:
Originally posted by Sypher
Or buy a router, those are not that expensive nowadays
Buy me one?

quote:
Originally posted by Adeptus
quote:
I only want to share Internet from Ubuntu to Windows, and maybe see the drive from Windows... But sharing Internet is a priority, since I can't be on Ubuntu when my mom decides to use her laptop...
The feature for Internet sharing on Linux is usually referred to as "IP masquerading".  There is a generic HOWTO for doing it the hard way with any Linux distribution, but it seems that Ubuntu provides a graphical tool for setting it up -- try this first.

Squid, which was mentioned by another poster, is a caching web proxy.  Combined with masquerading it may speed up web browsing a bit, but isn't necessary otherwise.  Without masquerading, it can be set up to share the connection for the purpose of web browsing only -- other apps that connect to Internet won't work through it.
I see. I've downloaded guidedog, I can access the Windows Network, so it seems I did something good. But I can't access internet on Windows, so I must've done something bad. :P

I'm still figuring it all out, though. (Y)

Thanks a lot, Adeptus! :D

Hack, hack, hack!

05-08-2007 10:34 PM
Verte

Heh, well you will need to get Windows to recognise the Ubuntu computer as the default gateway.
was put impeccably into words at DebianDay for me last Saturday, by Knut Yrvin of Trolltech - adults try something once, fail, and then are like "ffs this doesn't work". Children try, fail, and then try again, and succeed - maybe on the second, or even fifth retry. But the thing is that they keep at it and overcome the problems in the end.

-andrewdodd13
05-09-2007 04:18 AM
Supersonicdarky
Veteran Member

– / – / Flag
so ur set up is

~Internet~
   |
Modem
   |
Windows Machine
   |
Ubuntu

?

if yes, how are win and ubuntu connected? ethernet?
05-09-2007 11:49 AM
L. Coyote

Captain Obvious

38 / Male / Flag
Woot, I just woke up. Maybe if I'm fresh I'll get it right this time.

quote:
Originally posted by Supersonicdarky
~Internet~
   |
Modem
   |
Windows Machine
   |
Ubuntu
It's Ubuntu the one that has the modem and then it shares with Windows. And, yes, they're connected with Ethernet.

I'll post later, with any news.

Hack, hack, hack!

05-09-2007 12:39 PM
Adeptus

quote:
I've downloaded guidedog, I can access the Windows Network, so it seems I did something good. But I can't access internet on Windows, so I must've done something bad.
Unfortunately, beyond the initial direction, it is very difficult to help with a problem like that through forums. 

Make sure you didn't make any mistakes (but don't rule out some bug with Guidedog's scripts, either).  If you followed the instructions correctly and it still doesn't work, the next step would be the troubleshooting phase, for which you should have someone working with you in real time.  Check the Ubuntu website for information on any support IRC channels they may have.  That would probably be one of the best ways to go about it.
05-09-2007 03:55 PM
L. Coyote

Captain Obvious

38 / Male / Flag
Meh, several things I've learnt...

You can change the IP of an interface. ¬___¬ Just learnt it yesterday. "ifconfig nas0 192.168.1.1" to remove the IP conflict I didn't understand when I started all this mess (I kept confusing nas0 with eth0, and eth0 with nas0 in terms of functionality and identity).

Once I removed the conflict, both Ubuntu and Windows partitions are left as server with IP 192.168.0.1 (since I can't change the range used by client Windows DHCP, this I also figured yesterday :p).

Client Windows has, as I mentioned, a private dynamic IP. Though this change is not new, it's the first time I do it with the conflict fix and with a static IP on the correct device in Ubuntu partition. :P

God! What a mess! But, luckily, I've learnt quite a few things with all this. :P

I'm trying to fix Samba, since the file sharing part got a bit broken with all these changes, but it was Internet sharing what was more important, anyway. :)

Hope this helps anyone in the future. While "Googling" for all this, I was led to this thread... :dodgy:

Hack, hack, hack!

05-14-2007 03:22 PM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: