What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » General » General Chit Chat » kay, books to read

Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
kay, books to read
Author: Message:
Lou
Veteran Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: kay, books to read
quote:
Originally posted by Voldemort
what is it about :P?
An ex-cop who became an alcoholic and a private detective. It's very realistic and, quite out of the ordinary:)
[Image: msghelp.net.png]
The future holds bright things in it\\\'s path, but only time will tell what they are and where they come from.
Messenger Stuff Forums
05-05-2007 02:56 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Nagamasa
Skinning Contest Winner

30 / Male / Flag
Any book by Gordon Korman except the Dive trilogy.

My friends and I both like his books, and his books are throughout our school library

Perhaps refer to Your Favourite (Children's/Teen's) Reading Material.

This post was edited on 05-05-2007 at 03:05 AM by Nagamasa.
[Image: unled1uo.png]
Joined this forum 6525 days, 14 hours, 16 minutes, 5 seconds ago.

05-05-2007 03:03 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Volv
Skinning Contest Winner

34 / Male / Flag
If you're into fantasy/scifi (weird genre combination but works really well) I suggest reading 'Magician' by Raymond E. Feist, it's a really interesting book and is written incredibly well - character development ++
Note: it's the first part of a trilogy but it is a complete story in itself (the sequels weren't planned until after publication).
05-07-2007 06:40 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Fuse

Wax on..Wax off

32 / Male / –
Darren Shan books (especially the vampire saga) are my favourite books of all time :)
Two fish in a tank. One turns to the other and says "Do you know how to drive this thing?"
05-07-2007 09:54 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
You want something unique, fiction, something which is not just 'a book with boring chapters and paragraphs (like we wood define 'a book')'.... try House of Leaves

You will start to doubt about fiction... is this really fiction? How come the book is riddled with references to other books, links on the net, old cults, etc....

see:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/House_of_Leaves
(even when reading that wiki article you will be confused as to what is real or not, what you need to believe or not)

You can read the book in anyway you want. In fact, you probably need to reread it several times, each time concentrating on a particular part (or parts) to et the whole picture.

The book is about a guy who discovers some written records written by a blind man (thus in braille) about a documentary film which is about a journalist who finds his house has some strange properties. The inner dimensions, for example, are larger than the outer ones. The house seems to grow, shrink, ... they discover a corridor behind a closet which, if measured, would extend a few meters out of the house... Read about other references talked about in the book (or is it a reference on itself?), look them up in your local library while reading the book..., try to find the other documentary short movie made by the wife's journalist for example, or by its friend.

The book contains not only boring long paragraphs like any other book (or do they really don't contain anything usefull?), but also contains small narrations, poetry, scientific explainations, side notes, photos, braille, mirrored writing, crossed out sections, things which shouldn't be read, etc. It is actually like a manuscript, or bunch of notes which needs to be put into a book, or not....

There are several editions of the book, each with its own added typography, which might explain more about what is actually written (or maybe not). I suggest you get your hands on the full color edition.

A book can't come more unique than this (and with that said, it isn't for everybody), imho....

http://www.amazon.com/House-Leaves-Remastered-Mar...wski/dp/0375420525

;)

This post was edited on 05-07-2007 at 11:00 AM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
05-07-2007 10:35 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Joe

35 / Other / Flag
I once read a sweet book about a wizard. You may have heard of it.

Anyways, i think the last book I read and enjoyed was Holes. Quick read.
[Image: holidayssigei2.jpg]
05-07-2007 04:33 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: