What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! Help » How to Turn off Chat Logs!!

How to Turn off Chat Logs!!
Author: Message:
h3LLf1r3

O.P. How to Turn off Chat Logs!!
Hello,

I recently got into some trouble because of logs taken by Messenger Plus. I had absolutely no idea that it was taking logs, since I had never turned that on and I didn't think it would be on by default. Unfortunately, I now cannot find how to turn OFF chat logging. I go into the MSGPlus Preferences and go to Logging and   I uncheck "Automatically log all my chats by default" but it still logs them. So I set an encryption password on the logs, and it asks me for the password with each new conversation. If I hit cancel, it does not generate logs. So now I am clicking cancel each time, which is ANNOYING! How can I turn this off!!?? If this continues, I may uninstall MsgPlus, because I simply cannot allow for this to happen. Thanks for your help.

EDIT: In the MSN options, I have also unchecked "Automatically keep a history of my conversations". The folder that these were saved in was "My Documents\My Chat Logs", which is the MSG Plus logging folder.

// Hellfire

This post was edited on 04-04-2006 at 04:05 AM by h3LLf1r3.
04-04-2006 03:47 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
RaceProUK
Elite Member

39 / Male / Flag
RE: How to Turn off Chat Logs!!
As you turned off the automatic logging, I assume the problem is per-contact. So head into Preferences again, and take a closer look ;)
[Image: spartaafk.png]
04-05-2006 08:53 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
comrade93

I had the same problem.   You need to go to the list of icons under your personal message at the top of ur messenger page.  scroll to the left until you see "scripts" and click on it.  Then click on scripts preferences.  Click on conversations and on the left there will be a tab called chat logging.  Click on that and uncheck the box that says chat logs by default.   That should stop the chat logging. 
05-20-2007 09:04 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by h3LLf1r3
Unfortunately, I now cannot find how to turn OFF chat logging. I go into the MSGPlus Preferences and go to Logging and   I uncheck "Automatically log all my chats by default" but it still logs them.
If you untick that option and you press "Apply" or "OK", chat logging should be permanently off. However you may need to close your current conversations you're having.

There is no reason at all why turning that option on or off wouldn't work though.

So, if you change other settings in the preferences, are they saved? Or are they restored to the default settings too when you restart your computer?

quote:
So I set an encryption password on the logs, and it asks me for the password with each new conversation.
This shouldn't happen either. Once you have set a password in the preferences it should be remembered.

Do you have write access to your registry?

quote:
EDIT: In the MSN options, I have also unchecked "Automatically keep a history of my conversations". The folder that these were saved in was "My Documents\My Chat Logs", which is the MSG Plus logging folder.
No, this is not the default folder. Messenger Plus! logs conversations in a different directory than Messenger by default.

It sounds to me, at first sight, that you have a very restricted windows account and are using non-default settings. Settings which are maybe added/set by somebody else, as some are certainly not the default behaviour.

quote:
Originally posted by ahmetgns
When a new Windows Live ID signs in to messenger, Plus! automatically enables chat logging for that ID, if you don't want, you must uncheck the option on Configuration Wizard.
Changing that option in the Configuartion Wizard is exactly the same as going to your preferences and changing it there (this goes for every option in the config wizard btw).

EDIT after your second reply: ahmetgns, here you suggest that you _must_ change that option _in_ the config wizard, as if that is the only place.... I corrected you here and said that this is not the case. Don't start an arguement saying I provide useless info. Don't start talking about how "people don't read the Config Wizard" as a reply to my correction, it has absolutely nothing to do with this.

This post was edited on 05-22-2007 at 03:22 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
05-21-2007 12:41 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: