What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » [split] Ubuntu vs. WinXP

Pages: (4): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 4 » Last »
[split] Ubuntu vs. WinXP
Author: Message:
joey

Epoc Faileur.

33 / Other / Flag
RE: [split] Ubuntu vs. WinXP
quote:
Originally posted by joemailey
server vs desktop , linux has always been known for server O/S. windows for desktop.

Main thing linux needs for major boost in the markets. is good hardware support + they need major game titles for they O/S.
Once that happens there's nothing stopping anyone switchin to linux.

just because windows is more popular for the desktop, that doesn't make it better, and thats what most people get wrong. They get taught to use ONLY windows in school, you buy a pc, it comes with windows etc. i think governments should do something to tackle it. its costs school,colleges and uni's thousands to use windows on each pc, and thats even with the licsense to let you put it on more than one pc.

or, get ubuntu/linux or whatever. one CD, as many pc's as you like. No licenses no legal issues, and its safer, and just as user-friendly.

as for games - a few big games for windows are in the progress of being ported to linux, it takes time and hasn't been going long, but still at least people are trying to get unix into the mainstream.

Break my heart all you want, i'm on the NHS.
ever wondered what it's like to ejaculate through your ears...? ;o
05-28-2007 10:33 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
joemailey

38 / Male / –
Depends what you prefer. I prefer windows. Is it better?

In my opinion yes. Did i learn to use it in school? nope. i didnt learn to use it in school.
Pcs in schools don't really cost thousands. Each PC has its own copy of windows. So you don't really need a license for windows.

Now the software you run on windows like office etc will cost. But whats stopping people from using open office?

I still prefer office 2003 or 2007.

So its down to what people prefer. I prefer windows and office on my Main home PC and my Laptop.  most linux apps now work on PC. So its just gonna be down to what comes pre installed on the PC you buy. at this moment and time dell offer both OS's.

So that will be the key efffect on the World of OS's.

Safer is main linux cry. Bit like firefox cried out over explorer we're safer.

Only M$ virus i can remember getting alot of people on windows was blaster. Alot of the viruses on windows happen because end user isn't educated.  What is stopping that happening on linux? When hackers n virus writers turn on that?

Lets face it most of the stuff is created as a challenge. like an internal competition. to see who can hack/break/cripple it first between different groups. Linux will be one hell of fresh challenge.

You no best bit about it? Linux source code. you can get your hands on the source code. :-)

Firefox is prime example of being secure. then a prime example of getting hacked once it got close to being popular :) still getting bigger and still getting hacked.
05-28-2007 11:12 AM
joey

Epoc Faileur.

33 / Other / Flag
yeah ive always wanted to learn scripting languages and make my own mini-OS. would be fun to do in my spare time time :P

upgrading, like my school did/are[dont go anymore] to XP cost them thousands, and it took them about 3years in total.

the main reason you dont learn to use Open Office, is because, MS office is just everywhere, people dont know of any other option. they dont want to learn something new, just because they think it'll be a lot different to what they know, which is just untrue.

and the safest web browser out is opera. i wish it was more popular =p

05-28-2007 11:29 AM
joemailey

38 / Male / –
Not so long ago Firefox was.

Again its the unpopular that is the most secure.
You seeing the pattern here? or is it just me.
Example.
People download movies. you ever see how the most popular movie is always found before the not so popular movie?

You ever tried to find a movie that not so many people have heard of? Quite hard in some cases.

05-28-2007 11:35 AM
joey

Epoc Faileur.

33 / Other / Flag
city of god. the best film ive ever seen even though its in portugese. english is my only language and i dont know that very well! :P

its a shame the good things never get the regognition they deserve:linux, open office, opera, loads of others =p

05-28-2007 11:51 AM
Lux

=\

– / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: [split] Ubuntu vs. WinXP
well.....i dunno a lot of op. sysstems, but I do know one thing.....which os do you think yheu use for space shutlles?

well....it is not WINDOWS, i am sure of that, and it IS special version of LINUX, I AM suer ;) :) :D...i think that NASA wouldn't like to risk having some kind of windows for space shuttles, cuz AMAZING probabylty of crashung [ bouth os and the suttle :P ]

i never ever have seen the any kind of linux os, only in some clips, and i'll probably try it sooner or later....

and btw I LIKE OPERA! IE and mozzila [ not so much as IE ] sucksssssssss!

so...linux is mych more secure im sure of that....so i read all thing you have wrote here, and i don't wanna use ubuntu yet cuz the msg+ can[t run on it :( :'(

but, I'll instal it on lap top, or the other hard drive on this machine......

pih! it's all so confusing.....:S:S:S:S
05-28-2007 12:35 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Volv
Skinning Contest Winner

34 / Male / Flag
I would have to assume that NASA uses its own system designed specifically for their shuttles from scratch and if they were to use either Windows and Linux, they wouldn't choose linux for stability, they would choose linux because it is open source and allows them to make modifications how they want whereas Windows is a completed (haha) package. Also, Windows isn't any more or less stable than Linux nowadays, it's the software in use which causes instability...

This post was edited on 05-28-2007 at 12:44 PM by Volv.
05-28-2007 12:41 PM
joemailey

38 / Male / –
RE: RE: [split] Ubuntu vs. WinXP
quote:
Originally posted by ICD
city of god. the best film ive ever seen even though its in portugese. english is my only language and i dont know that very well! :P

its a shame the good things never get the regognition they deserve:linux, open office, opera, loads of others =p

Don't worry i know alot of free stuff and use a lot of it.
Just comparing to how things work. Bigger it gets more attention it draws to its self.
Just how it works, you don't target small things. Windows is used in big companies so targeting that will get you much more of an effect than targeting a small group of linux users.

You can't really say which is better and which is not in all, You can say what you prefer but not which is better.

They all do the same thing at the end of the day. Windows does somethings easier than linux and linux does some stuff easier than windows. End result is nearly the same in all ocassions just done differently.
05-28-2007 12:43 PM
joey

Epoc Faileur.

33 / Other / Flag
get aMSN, or pidgin they're really good. i use them both. and Ubuntu roxes!!!!

05-28-2007 12:44 PM
Lux

=\

– / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: [split] Ubuntu vs. WinXP
some kind of linux is used in space, by NASA and the  European Space Agency....google if uu don't thrust me, or click HERE!

yeah, I'm usre that ubuntu roxes ICD, but i don't like cuz msg+ can't be used, but I'll try ubuntu with the aMSN and pidgin maybe in these days....
05-28-2007 12:50 PM
Pages: (4): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 4 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: