What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » [split] Ubuntu vs. WinXP

Pages: (4): « First « 1 2 [ 3 ] 4 » Last »
[split] Ubuntu vs. WinXP
Author: Message:
Volv
Skinning Contest Winner

34 / Male / Flag
RE: [split] Ubuntu vs. WinXP
quote:
Originally posted by Luka88bg
some kind of linux is used in space, by NASA and the  European Space Agency....google if uu don't thrust me, or click HERE!
Well like I also said, I doubt that it was chosen because of stability, it is most likely because it is open source providing them with a base system to start with and allowing them to make their own modifications (which they most likely did) and because it is not prepackaged software which comes with a very specific user interface and cannot be modified.
05-28-2007 12:58 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
joemailey

38 / Male / –
RE: RE: [split] Ubuntu vs. WinXP
quote:
Originally posted by Volv
quote:
some kind of linux is used in space, by NASA and the  European Space Agency....google if uu don't thrust me, or click HERE!
Well like I also said, I doubt that it was chosen because of stability, it is most likely because it is open source providing them with a base system to start with and allowing them to make their own modifications (which they most likely did) and because it is not prepackaged software which comes with a very specific user interface and cannot be modified.

Someone else with points on linux, i was going to post the same thing :-)
05-28-2007 01:05 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Verte

RE: RE: Did Microsoft love Windows Vista Messenger's ideas?
quote:
well...I have a question......can evrythng work on ubuntu? I downloaded it, and i about to instal it.....so...is it better than XP? is there any bad things? :)

It took me a while to work out how to get games running under Linux. It takes an extra minute or so to get some Windows applications to work. I did document a few things you might want to know though, in my LJ. Since I worked it out I haven't had any problems, but still, YMMV.

quote:
Originally posted by joemailey
there's no known viruses/worms - Well why target something thats not the most popular o/s in the world?

The same thing was say about Firefox, Max osx and others.

but yet they've gained on M$ oh n wat do we see now worms n viruses and loopholes being found.

Why target an OS that's said to be more secure? Not only would you bring down more servers if viruses targetted Linux or a Unix, but you would get extra geek points for writing the first widespread  Unix virus.

There was a worm for OOo going around not long ago, because the designers stupidly leave macros turned on by default [why office documents need hard drive access is beyond me], which if I'm not mistaken is also a feature of MS Office products. Otherwise, there isn't much in the way of [real] Linux sploits.

But that's not the point. Too many big companies rely on software like Linux for them not to check that the code is secure, and they can actually do it legally. The people who use it check the code [well not everyone, but project leaders and commercial users]. Simple as that. If they were to notice that something wasn't right, it would cost THEM if they didn't notify the proper parties.

Linux is not foolproof. Matter of fact, it's mostly a hack, and it's got a heap of design flaws as well [eg. it's a monolithic kernel], but it is mostly written by people who know about security and the principal of least privilege. You really need to get used to the user model of a Unix to understand just how strong the difference is to Windows.

Another important thing to know is that Linux users have typically known more about their OS. They know when a GKSU request is bogus. It amazes me how many people get phished on myspace, say. You never used to see stupidity like that from a Linux user, but I'm going to bet there will be people falling for stupid crap like that now.

EDIT: @Joemailey,

Firefox didn't get buggy because it got more popular, it got buggy because it had to support the mangled HTML that frontpage [and others] produces. That said, Firefox still needs work, specifically, it needs individual Javascript namespaces for each tab or site, and it needs to be modularised.

This post was edited on 05-28-2007 at 07:39 PM by Verte.
was put impeccably into words at DebianDay for me last Saturday, by Knut Yrvin of Trolltech - adults try something once, fail, and then are like "ffs this doesn't work". Children try, fail, and then try again, and succeed - maybe on the second, or even fifth retry. But the thing is that they keep at it and overcome the problems in the end.

-andrewdodd13
05-28-2007 07:31 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
joey

Epoc Faileur.

33 / Other / Flag
i dont think so, because pretty much everyone i know that uses linux/ubuntu knows a few things about computers/technology and aren't as n00bish as that. but if it were a young child then maybe yes. but its easy enough to change what they visit.

Break my heart all you want, i'm on the NHS.
ever wondered what it's like to ejaculate through your ears...? ;o
05-28-2007 07:35 PM
Verte

quote:
Originally posted by ICD
i dont think so, because pretty much everyone i know that uses linux/ubuntu knows a few things about computers/technology and aren't as n00bish as that. but if it were a young child then maybe yes. but its easy enough to change what they visit.

Young children shouldn't have the root password anyway :) Try that one for size, UAC!
was put impeccably into words at DebianDay for me last Saturday, by Knut Yrvin of Trolltech - adults try something once, fail, and then are like "ffs this doesn't work". Children try, fail, and then try again, and succeed - maybe on the second, or even fifth retry. But the thing is that they keep at it and overcome the problems in the end.

-andrewdodd13
05-28-2007 07:41 PM
joey

Epoc Faileur.

33 / Other / Flag
:O he got me. although it depends if your a child prodigyor not really...[/off topic]

bottom line, linux is better than windows, and windows shoul be destroyed by a program made in linux, and linux would run the world. end of.

05-28-2007 07:43 PM
Verte

There's always the possibility that you're a sudoer and your child manages to open up a terminal and type sudo rm -rf *, or sudo sh ./shiftydownloadedprogram.sh. But you won't have your email client run scripts for you by default and other completely STUPID things like that.

Bottom line: Agreed. I think that while Windows is a reasonable consumer OS, it needs to disappear. I've got more than enough reasons not to give them my money now that I've looked deeper into the soap opera that is Microsoft customer and corporate relations. While there are still some places Windows has an advantage, I think these will go away as more people adopt Linux or other Unixen. Maybe they won't all go away and we'll still have Windows users ten years from now, but I think the software world will still be a completely different place.

-andrewdodd13
05-28-2007 08:16 PM
ShawnZ
Veteran Member

32 / Male / Flag
linux fails at things like networking on a lan. with windows, you don't need to think about anything; what do you get when you install windows server? ldap, kerberos, dns, dhcp, http, https, ftp, nntp, smtp, ntp, telnet, radius, etc, etc out of the box without any configuration needed.

This post was edited on 05-28-2007 at 08:46 PM by ShawnZ.
Spoiler:
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
05-28-2007 08:46 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
joey

Epoc Faileur.

33 / Other / Flag
but linux has samba, connect to a wondows pc, and if you know what you're doing, its not that hard.

05-28-2007 08:47 PM
Verte

quote:
Originally posted by ShawnZ
linux fails at things like networking on a lan. with windows, you don't need to think about anything; what do you get when you install windows server? ldap, kerberos, dns, dhcp, http, https, ftp, nntp, smtp, ntp, telnet, radius, etc, etc out of the box without any configuration needed.

XP Installing what you need to use may have its downsides, but other than buying a few minutes of your time, I can't think of one. Even then it's not so bad, since a Linux/Unix server install is probably a lot less painful then a Windows install.

This post was edited on 05-28-2007 at 09:02 PM by Verte.

-andrewdodd13
05-28-2007 09:01 PM
Pages: (4): « First « 1 2 [ 3 ] 4 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: