What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Processor Advice

Processor Advice
Author: Message:
pollolibredegrasa

formerly fatfreechicken

34 / Male / Flag
O.P. Processor Advice
I'm thinking about upgrading my current processor and need a bit of help. At the moment I my computer has the following specs:

NF4XK8MC Motherboard
AMD Athlon 64 3200 running at ~2.0ghz
2GB Ram (2 x 1gb DDR PC3200)
NVidia GeForce 7600 GT 512mb

Anyone got any advice? My preferred price range is anything up to around £80-90, maybe a bit more if its worth it.

After looking on the web I found this which I think is compatible with my motherboard, but I'm not sure. I also found this but again I'm not certain it will work on my motherboard, and its a bit out of my preferred price range (though if the extra performance is worth it i suppose i could stretch to it).

Any help appreciated :)
;p

[Image: chickennana.gif] Vaccy is my thin twin! [Image: chickennana.gif]
06-17-2007 05:45 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Mnjul
forum super mod

plz wub me

– / Other / Flag
RE: Processor Advice
What do you usually do with your computer and why do you think you need a upgrade?

The CPUs you listed should be compatible with your motherboard (at most BIOS update is needed)

It depends on your usage really because a 3800+ is frequency-wise no faster than a 3200+. If you usually open several programs that quite demand CPU simutaneously or if you know your heavy-CPU-load program utilizes multi-core processors, then you'll certainly benefit from a X2.

This post was edited on 06-17-2007 at 05:55 PM by Mnjul.
06-17-2007 05:49 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Jhrono
Veteran Member

32 / Male / Flag
Honestly dude, I don't think it's good to upgrade an AMD processor at the moment, as they are quite old and aren't worth their money, since Intel offers better performance for the same price..  Your motherboard features an AMD socket so, unfortunately, you won't be able to use an Intel processor..

IMO, if you really need to upgrade, you should save up more money and build a whole new system after this summer, when, Intel Quad Cores will become A LOT cheaper, new chipsets arrive and DDR3 memory starts to bang.. Oh and by Christmas the new nVidia 9 series are expected to come out, so that leaves plenty of space for you to spare some more money ;)

This post was edited on 06-17-2007 at 08:16 PM by Jhrono.
The world is yours
06-17-2007 06:38 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Woraug

A Credit to Dementia

36 / Male / –
Until AMD pulls themselves back into the ranks, and catches up with Intel, I'm gonna have to agree with Jhrono.
[Image: Sentinel.png]
06-17-2007 07:46 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
pollolibredegrasa

formerly fatfreechicken

34 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Processor Advice
Thing is, I don't really want to have to buy a new system. I've not had this one that long, and I need all the money I can get for other things atm.

I'll keep an open mind but it's unlikely I'll have enough money for a new system any time soon.
;p

[Image: chickennana.gif] Vaccy is my thin twin! [Image: chickennana.gif]
06-17-2007 08:00 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Jhrono
Veteran Member

32 / Male / Flag
I get your point, but honestly, in that case, I think you should leave your system as it is and use it on other things in your life :)
The world is yours
06-17-2007 08:15 PM
Verte

You've got a 64 bit computer that can issue two billion instructions per second. What on earth are you doing to push that to its limits?

IMO you could wait until the next AMD chips come out. If they aren't compatible, you will be sure to get a good deal on dual core stuff.
was put impeccably into words at DebianDay for me last Saturday, by Knut Yrvin of Trolltech - adults try something once, fail, and then are like "ffs this doesn't work". Children try, fail, and then try again, and succeed - maybe on the second, or even fifth retry. But the thing is that they keep at it and overcome the problems in the end.

-andrewdodd13
06-18-2007 06:00 AM
Mnjul
forum super mod

plz wub me

– / Other / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Verte
If they aren't compatible
They won't. The new CPUs will be Socket AM2+ and they're not compatible with 939s.

And again, fatfreechicken, what do you usually do with your computer and why do you think you need a upgrade?
06-18-2007 08:03 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
nunuxx

37 / Male / Flag
hi i was a similar upgrade situation like you a few months earlier

i had an athlon 64 3000+ and i decided to go with the x2 4400+. i can vouch that it was worth all the money. it's really noticably faster and you will feel the difference among all programs that you're using. plus, i overclocked it easily from stock 2.2ghz to 2.4ghz which makes it essentially a 4800 now. isn't that a bargain?

i understand the situation because i dont' have money to get a new intel system right now either. in my opinion, right NOW is the last chance for us socket 939 people to get an upgrade, because after this AM2 will take over and we will basically become computer junk.

however, the 4400+ will still keep our computer competitive (it doesn't tag that much behind the core 2 duo e6600 in most benchmarks), plus with your pretty good vid card and ram, it will last that much longer.

so hopefully that has helped you some :)
06-21-2007 05:03 PM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: