What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Which OS is better?

Pages: (7): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 4 5 6 » Last »
Poll: Which?
Windows
Mac
Linux
[Show Results | Edit Poll]
Note: This is a public poll; other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Which OS is better?
Author: Message:
Menthix
forum admin

39 / Male / Flag
RE: Which OS is better?
quote:
Originally posted by YottabyteWIzard
Depends on the use...
Agreed, and what kind of person you are.

quote:
Originally posted by NanaFreak
may you please tell me where i might be able to get these for windows xp?
http://www.vmware.com/download/ws/eval.html or your favorite warez place.
Or http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/virtualpc/ (free, but not as hot as VMWare).

This post was edited on 06-26-2007 at 07:26 AM by Menthix.
Finish the problem
Menthix.net | Contact Me
06-26-2007 07:22 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
joey

Epoc Faileur.

33 / Other / Flag
lineux ftw!!!!!!!!! :cheesy:

Break my heart all you want, i'm on the NHS.
ever wondered what it's like to ejaculate through your ears...? ;o
06-26-2007 08:25 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Jarrod
Veteran Member

woot simpson

– / Male / Flag
votes linux and mac
*uses windows for the hell of it

if you ever see a mac crash please take a picture and show me it's never happened b4

[Image: 5344.png]
[Image: sig.png]

A.k.a. The Glad Falconer

06-26-2007 08:43 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Verte

You're totally trolling, but I'll bite.

From a getting-things-done point of view, I'd say GNU/Linux. It's a complete hack, that's true, but if you need more stability, go with FreeBSD or any of the other BSDs. The GNU/Linux distributions with decent packaging systems are great, got to say. There's nothing like thinking "I need software to do X" and having it installed and ready to use in mere seconds.

There's something of a caveat, though. It's true that wine sucks at the moment. If you think your Windows applications are going to be completely stable under wine, you've got another thing coming. So if you need Windows applications to work, you may have to keep using Windows.

I don't. So the programs I use that make me money crash when I try to dock tool-bars due to a bug in user.dll... I could fix it, I could live with it, or I could give up my freedom. I know which one I'm choosing. And you know, it's a bad thing that wine is not truly ready for end users like that. Which is why I'm not saying what you must use a Free OS. But I know it's better in the long run, because unlike Windows, problems with GNU/Linux or FreeBSD or NetBSD are fixable. Legally.

From a purely theoretical point of view, I prefer GNU/Hurd, MINIX or better yet, something Coyotos-based. But the thing is, if you pick Hurd, you've got the stability of Linux with the technical ability of a BSD- ie, the worst of both worlds. And Coyotos isn't even finished yet [though it's something I'd like to work on myself, and maybe port to DEC/Alpha].

As far as proprietary operating systems go, I like UNICOS/mk, the operating system written for the machines based on the X1 processor, but I'm not likely to be getting such a machine of my own any time soon. Erm, and OS-X is very nice, but until it's free, I'm not going near it. I know the kernel is free, but the wm isn't, and that's the coolest part of it.

I guess you expected every word of that from me.
was put impeccably into words at DebianDay for me last Saturday, by Knut Yrvin of Trolltech - adults try something once, fail, and then are like "ffs this doesn't work". Children try, fail, and then try again, and succeed - maybe on the second, or even fifth retry. But the thing is that they keep at it and overcome the problems in the end.

-andrewdodd13
06-26-2007 09:00 AM
Kenji
Veteran Member

Previously: Dazmatic, Dazzy, :zippy:

32 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by xen0h
if you ever see a mac crash please take a picture and show me it's never happened b4
Macs crash all the time. I used to have a mac mini but i could never use it for more than 5 hours, It would either restart or just freeze.

They also like to catch fire and all sorts of other things. You can find more on google too.

I have tried all 3 and im sticking to windows. Linux needs too much crap done to it to work, Macs... They just suck. Im never getting one of them again unless i want to kill someone with it. Windows just works.
06-26-2007 09:57 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Jarrod
Veteran Member

woot simpson

– / Male / Flag
you only say macs suck because your 15
my pc crashes way more often than my dad's mac ever does

A.k.a. The Glad Falconer

06-26-2007 10:01 AM
Kenji
Veteran Member

Previously: Dazmatic, Dazzy, :zippy:

32 / Male / Flag
quote:
you only say macs suck because your 15
Excuse me?
06-26-2007 10:03 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
ShawnZ
Veteran Member

31 / Male / Flag
quote:
my pc crashes way more often than my dad's mac ever does

you're an idiot. there is absolutely no code in windows that can just cause a crash for no reason. 100% of the time, people are using bad NVIDIA drivers that crash on every other operation. in fact, microsoft had to compensate for bad video drivers by adding functionality to vista that automatically reloads video drivers if they crash.

This post was edited on 06-26-2007 at 10:06 AM by ShawnZ.
Spoiler:
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
06-26-2007 10:04 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Jarrod
Veteran Member

woot simpson

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by dazzy's age box

all kids hate macs

quote:
Originally posted by ShawnZ
you're an idiot. there is absolutely no code in windows that can just cause a crash for no reason. 100% of the time, people are using bad NVIDIA drivers that crash on every other operation.

yet the mac doesn't crash, using a NVIDIA card and my pc has an ati card.  windows is really bad when it tries to work with something it fails even games hate running on vista, it messes the frame rate up so you can't play online (you can if you want to get pwned)

*cough
flamewar
*cough

windows is just one big bug

A.k.a. The Glad Falconer

06-26-2007 10:15 AM
Verte

The last mac that crashed was running OS 9, you're pretty safe these days. That said, I have not crashed my LC [system 7.1] yet.
was put impeccably into words at DebianDay for me last Saturday, by Knut Yrvin of Trolltech - adults try something once, fail, and then are like "ffs this doesn't work". Children try, fail, and then try again, and succeed - maybe on the second, or even fifth retry. But the thing is that they keep at it and overcome the problems in the end.

-andrewdodd13
06-26-2007 10:26 AM
Pages: (7): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 4 5 6 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: