What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Skype & Live Messenger » Copying settings to new computer

Copying settings to new computer
Author: Message:
owlart

O.P. Copying settings to new computer
Hi!

My computer died, and I've got a nice new shiney one! Is it possible to transfer all my MSN settings (Winks, Smilies, message history, Settings etc.) to a new copy of WLM? I have got the old hard drive connected as a second drive.

Thanks in advance,

Andrew
06-29-2007 11:38 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
AngelDevil

MsgPlus! Script Developer

33 / Male / Flag
RE: Copying settings to new computer
Use MSN Backup:

http://www.baisoft.it/download/msnbackup121src.zip

I don't remember if you can do this without have the old Messenger unistalled.. for a complete guide read http://www.baisoft.it/msnbackup_english.asp
http://www.amicogeek.it - Technology blog!
06-29-2007 12:05 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
markee
Veteran Member

35 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by AngelDevil
Use MSN Backup:

http://www.baisoft.it/download/msnbackup121src.zip

I don't remember if you can do this without have the old Messenger unistalled.. for a complete guide read http://www.baisoft.it/msnbackup_english.asp
That will probably only work if they are using the old HDD as the primary drive.  The only way for you to reclaim these is to use a manual method unfortunately.  Have a look at CookieRevised's reply to Where does MSN store it's avatars? this post will tell you how to get your Display Pictures and Custom Emoticons.

Winks are very hard and something that I have not come across unless in a program to get them (though I'm sure there is a way).

You just need to locate the folder in which you stored your message history before and it will all be there (I think it is by default X:\Documents and Settings\User account\My Documents\My Chat Logs where X:\ is the drive that your old hard drive is now).

The only way to get your settings is to be able to get into the registry of the windows version on the old Hard Drive.  You are just much better off doing them over IMHO.

Sorry for the unfortunate news about it all, I guess it just shows that we should all make more back-ups while it is possible.
[Image: markee.png]
06-29-2007 01:16 PM
owlart

O.P. RE: Copying settings to new computer
Thanks folks, I've got all my Smilies, Chat Logs, Winks and everything back again! Just got to go and install MessPatch and MSNPlus again now :-)
06-30-2007 08:02 PM
Supersonicdarky
Veteran Member

– / – / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by owlart
MSNPlus
Messenger Plus! :wink:
06-30-2007 08:39 PM
nabikilr

What about Messenger Plus! sound clips? do these copy over, too?
08-11-2007 10:13 PM
exbox

there are other scripts to copy the plus related items like sound clips, check the main site.
GOOGLE is your friend.
08-13-2007 05:19 PM
pollolibredegrasa

formerly fatfreechicken

35 / Male / Flag
RE: RE: Copying settings to new computer
quote:
Originally posted by nabikilr
What about Messenger Plus! sound clips? do these copy over, too?

The easiest way to copy emotion sounds is to create a soundpack, and then re-import this on the new computer.

However, such as in the case of the thread starter where you did not create a soundpack, but still have access to the old hard drive you can use Messenger Plus! Sound Library Fixer.

You need to copy all the .dat files from the custom sound folder on the old hard drive to the custom sound directory on the new hard drive and then run that program. It will then re-add all valid sound files back into your sound library.

On XP installations the custom sound directory is located in "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Messenger Plus!\Custom Sounds"

On Vista the directory is "C:\ProgramData\Messenger Plus!\Custom Sounds"

(replace C:\ with the appropriate drive letter)

Hope this helps

Edit: Some folders may be hidden, in which case you need to unhide them using Windows folder options (XP: Tools>Folder Options>View>Show hidden files and folders, not sure of how to do it in Vista but it should be similar)

This post was edited on 08-13-2007 at 06:28 PM by pollolibredegrasa.
;p

[Image: chickennana.gif] Vaccy is my thin twin! [Image: chickennana.gif]
08-13-2007 05:56 PM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: