What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Should i get vista?

Pages: (7): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 4 5 6 » Last »
Should i get vista?
Author: Message:
Woraug

A Credit to Dementia

36 / Male / –
RE: RE: Should i get vista?
quote:
Originally posted by -dt-
quote:
Originally posted by Woraug
Just wait to get Vista.  In about a year or so, the majority of the kinks and incompatibilities will be worked out.  Don't you guys remember when XP first released?  Everyone said that it was crap, don't get it, nothing works with it.  Basically, the same things that are wrong with Vista right now.  Have some patience, it'll get better (hopefully).
:-/ nothing works with it?, what are you on?, the only things that dont work are dodgy games and some badly coded programs

Ive been using vista since beta 2 and other than the dodgy nvidia drivers everything works fine for me

I was exaggerating...
[Image: Sentinel.png]
07-09-2007 09:48 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
absorbation
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: Should i get vista?
I'm actually disappointed with Vista, it is still not user-friendly enough and it had so much more potential :P.

You can read my thoughts at my blog if your interested (a)
07-09-2007 11:20 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Chris4
Elite Member

32 / Male / Flag
[offtopic]Nice blog absorbation :tongue:[/offtopic]

Well I won't be getting Vista until I hear of some improvements.
Twitter: @ChrisLozeau
07-09-2007 11:26 AM
John Anderton
Elite Member

37 / Male / Flag
I hate people who bash vista just because they can. Just because it won't work on their (old) pcs. Just because everyone else is doing it. Just because they have nothing better to do.

Vista is a really good OS. I find it worth every penny. All the apps work fine on it. There is an occasional odd ball though. Its just because the app was badly coded. If a game isn't working, there is a small upgrade patch to solve your problems most of the time though none of the games I had needed them.

There are a few lazy companies who haven't created their apps/drivers for their hardware etc correctly.
Yahoo (for messenger), Pinnacle (for TV card support) and NVIDIA (for Graphic card drivers) are some of them.
Yahoo seems to have forgotten about the Vista version of messenger which was supposed to use Expression.
Pinnacle has been working on it for 8 months. They have a few things out but if you have a really old card (mine is 4 years old) then probably you will have a few issues. There are other 3rd party apps that work perfectly though viz. K!TV :)
NVIDIA is letting out monthly betas of the graphics drivers. They seem to be improving :P Lets hope they make a perfect driver soon enough. One which doesn't make you uninstall some other driver to install or one that doesn't lag games randomly at times :)

This is retrospect is nothing considering the number of features you have at your disposal. I would say, from a technical standpoint, Vista is certainly worth the upgrade. From a financial one, its up to you to decide but I for one felt its well worth the price you pay :)

Update:
quote:
I was exaggerating...
Please don't. It is comments like that which make new users fear it. It is comments like that which make newbies walk around bitching about vista when in reality they haven't even used it for more than 5 minutes.

This post was edited on 07-09-2007 at 11:35 AM by John Anderton.
[

KarunAB.com
]

[img]http://gamercards.exophase.com/459422.png[
/img]
07-09-2007 11:32 AM
Jhrono
Veteran Member

32 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by John Anderton

I hate people who bash vista just because they can. Just because it won't work on their (old) pcs. Just because everyone else is doing it. Just because they have nothing better to do.
AMEN!
quote:
Vista is a really good OS. I find it worth every penny. All the apps work fine on it. There is an occasional odd ball though. Its just because the app was badly coded. If a game isn't working, there is a small upgrade patch to solve your problems most of the time though none of the games I had needed them.
quote:
Originally posted by Jhrono

Ofcourse Vista runs Windows Live Messenger, as many other programs, especially the 32 bits version.

Vista is quite pleasent to use, I find it worth every penny.
Finally, vista non-haters start to rise.. Baaah..

90% of you talk about "what you've heard" and shit, and where does that get us?
The world is yours
07-09-2007 12:35 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Kenji
Veteran Member

Previously: Dazmatic, Dazzy, :zippy:

32 / Male / Flag
quote:
quote:
Just wait to get Vista.  In about a year or so, the majority of the kinks and incompatibilities will be worked out.  Don't you guys remember when XP first released?  Everyone said that it was crap, don't get it, nothing works with it.  Basically, the same things that are wrong with Vista right now.  Have some patience, it'll get better (hopefully).
:-/ nothing works with it?, what are you on?, the only things that dont work are dodgy games and some badly coded programs

Ive been using vista since beta 2 and other than the dodgy nvidia drivers everything works fine for me
Same here.
quote:

There are a few lazy companies who haven't created their apps/drivers for their hardware etc correctly.
Yahoo (for messenger), Pinnacle (for TV card support) and NVIDIA (for Graphic card drivers) are some of them.
Yahoo seems to have forgotten about the Vista version of messenger which was supposed to use Expression.
Pinnacle has been working on it for 8 months. They have a few things out but if you have a really old card (mine is 4 years old) then probably you will have a few issues. There are other 3rd party apps that work perfectly though viz. K!TV :)
NVIDIA is letting out monthly betas of the graphics drivers. They seem to be improving :P Lets hope they make a perfect driver soon enough. One which doesn't make you uninstall some other driver to install or one that doesn't lag games randomly at times :)

This is retrospect is nothing considering the number of features you have at your disposal. I would say, from a technical standpoint, Vista is certainly worth the upgrade. From a financial one, its up to you to decide but I for one felt its well worth the price you pay :)

Update:
quote:
I was exaggerating...
Please don't. It is comments like that which make new users fear it. It is comments like that which make newbies walk around bitching about vista when in reality they haven't even used it for more than 5 minutes.
(y)

Id just like to quote myself for what I posted on another forum (A)

quote:
Originally posted by 'Dazzy'

I hate people that say "Vista sucks", "Vista is slow", "you need 500gigahutrz LOLZ" etc.  Before I got this computer, I was running it fine on a P3 1GHz with 512MB ram and a nvidia FX 5200. It was even faster than XP was. sure, It would get a little sluggish at times when running things like Photoshop, What would you expect on a  7 year old machine? Vista does not require a "super computer" to run.

07-09-2007 01:11 PM
-dt-
Scripting Contest Winner

;o

35 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by absorbation

I'm actually disappointed with Vista, it is still not user-friendly enough and it had so much more potential (Smilie).

You can read my thoughts at my blog if your interested (Smilie)
Error: Your comment is too long. The maximum lenght of a comment is 300 words.

your blog sucks :(

quote:
Originally posted by the comment i wanted to submit

pft, this is just crap

quote:
I cannot play my music I legally downloaded from iTunes. I feel ripped off all because Microsoft is scared of the AACs!

why should microsoft add support for AAC? all DRM is just silly.

quote:
I finally sat down to install the thing and after a long, long, looooooooong wait, it installed. BUT... I am really, deeply, uncontrollable disappointed, it is like a flashy XP ... I thought Microsoft would make a user friendly OS for once.

rofl at not being user friendly.

In regard to the install time, the installer takes half the time the XP one does, and the vista install is alot more streamlined, unlike the XP one which keeps asking for more information every 2 seconds (highly annoying).

Vista is far far far more than a flashy xp, its based off server 2003 which is a nice stable code base.
They have also rewritten alot of things to make its easier for developers and for the users like the audio stack, one big feature that comes from this is the per application volume control which just rocks imo :P. They added the Windows Display Driver Model which allows for video drivers to be installed without rebooting, and allow for video drivers to crash (*looks at nvidia*) and it wont bsod, it just restarts the driver. other crazy changes include the I/O scheduler, increased security, built in indexed search, real symbolic links (they even support UNC paths).
Then theres the desktop window manager (aero) which allows for all those neat little effects (like winkey+tab and the live thumbnails which are shown when you hover over the start bar) by drawing the windows offscreen and then composited into the desktop.

and im sick of typing, just go google the changes :P

* -dt- goes back to watching star trek
[Image: dt2.0v2.png]      Happy Birthday, WDZ
07-09-2007 01:22 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Mike
Elite Member

Meet the Spam Family!

31 / Male / Flag
quote:
increased security
That's the only thing that sucks in Vista :P

Other than that, Vista rocks.
YouTube closed-captions ripper (also allows you to download videos!)
07-09-2007 01:39 PM
Adeptus

quote:
This is retrospect is nothing considering the number of features you have at your disposal. I would say, from a technical standpoint, Vista is certainly worth the upgrade. From a financial one, its up to you to decide but I for one felt its well worth the price you pay
I do not share your opinion.  Despite being able to buy perfectly legal Vista at about 90% discount, I find that Vista Ultimate is not worth even $65 to me.  I'd sooner pay to not have to use it.

My objection is not about hardware requirements (I have decent hardware).  Besides the eye candy, I find most of the changes MS has made in Vista completely obnoxious and as far the "new features" go, MS can shove them.  The job of the OS is to run applications and, quite frankly, XP seems to do that better.

I feel that MS has gone in completely the wrong direction with Vista.  It is unfortunate that there is no real competition, so despite being trash, it will still sell and eventually, thanks to Microsoft's product lifecycle polices, even I will find myself forced to use it.  However, I don't plan to do so any sooner than I absolutely must.

For the original poster, I would suggest looking at the upgrade decision as a "why do it?" question rather than "why not?" -- what does Vista have that you really need and don't have in XP?  If the answer is "nothing" or "I don't know", then save your money and sanity.
07-09-2007 02:25 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Kenji
Veteran Member

Previously: Dazmatic, Dazzy, :zippy:

32 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Adeptus
quote:
This is retrospect is nothing considering the number of features you have at your disposal. I would say, from a technical standpoint, Vista is certainly worth the upgrade. From a financial one, its up to you to decide but I for one felt its well worth the price you pay
I do not share your opinion.  Despite being able to buy perfectly legal Vista at about 90% discount, I find that Vista Ultimate is not worth even $65 to me.  I'd sooner pay to not have to use it.

My objection is not about hardware requirements (I have decent hardware).  Besides the eye candy, I find most of the changes MS has made in Vista completely obnoxious and as far the "new features" go, MS can shove them.  The job of the OS is to run applications and, quite frankly, XP seems to do that better.

I feel that MS has gone in completely the wrong direction with Vista.  It is unfortunate that there is no real competition, so despite being trash, it will still sell and eventually, thanks to Microsoft's product lifecycle polices, even I will find myself forced to use it.  However, I don't plan to do so any sooner than I absolutely must.

For the original poster, I would suggest looking at the upgrade decision as a "why do it?" question rather than "why not?" -- what does Vista have that you really need and don't have in XP?  If the answer is "nothing" or "I don't know", then save your money and sanity.
Stfu mac fanboy :P

* Kenji runs (A)
07-09-2007 02:30 PM
Pages: (7): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 4 5 6 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: