What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Laptop sound amplification?

Pages: (3): « First « 1 2 [ 3 ] Last »
Laptop sound amplification?
Author: Message:
andrewdodd13

Oh so retro

34 / Male / Flag
RE: Laptop sound amplification?
Winamp's pre-amp increases the "volume" of the sound by 20dB by increasing the amplitude of the sound wave before it's output.

TBH, my HP laptop has Altec Lansing speakers built in which can put out some fairly loud sound. The thing is, by trying to put the sound past the systems maximum you might just end up distorting the sounds.
[Image: AndrewsStyle.png]
07-29-2007 10:59 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Nefzen

ahh! my fingers! my fingers!

34 / Male / Flag
Media Player Classic has a boost option, and there's a codec that should do the same (both are included with the CCCP)
07-29-2007 12:56 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Phillip

c11h15no2

34 / Male / Flag
RE: RE: Laptop sound amplification?
quote:
Originally posted by Nefzen
Media Player Classic has a boost option, and there's a codec that should do the same (both are included with the CCCP)

quote:
Originally posted by ZrednaZ
Only difference is that it needs to be able to affect ALL sound output on the puter.

[Image: awd.png]
Drawn into the darkness here with your eyes on the prize at stake.
Faint hearts on an endless path letting go of the ones we break.
07-29-2007 02:34 PM
Jesus
Scripting Contest Winner

Koffie, my cat ;)

37 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Voldemort
quote:
Originally posted by Voldemort
alter the frequency

quote:
Originally posted by Effexor
alter the frequency balance
meaning you can set a different volume for each frequency range. This has nothing to do with altering the pitch in any way.

ZrednaZ: An equalizer can help you out; you can lower the volume of the lower frequencies and amplify the better supported higher frequencies a little more. Then you can adjust the preamp to a point where the sound is almost distorted to get the maximum out of your laptop speakers.

Most sound card manufacturers include an equalizer in their driver software. If your sound card uses default windows drivers the equalizer may not be included. I don't know which sound card you have, but you can try downloading the drivers from the manufacturer's website to get the extra software.
Man is least himself when he is in his own person. Give him a mask and he will tell you the truth. (Oscar Wilde)
07-29-2007 05:38 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by ZrednaZ
While a bit of theory is always nice, do you guys have any concrete suggestions to downloadable equalizers? I guess it all boils down to this: Basically I need something like Winamp's equalizer
[Image: amp-eq.jpg]
which has the "Preamp" bar that will actually make most any audio source LOUD when cranked up (and I frankly don't care about how that's achieved;)) Only difference is that it needs to be able to affect ALL sound output on the puter.
This is a terribly common laptop problem, I'm surprised the web isn't oversaturated with solutions to this...
Because it is not a solution.
Moreover, all the equalizers which are talked about here are for players which send the sound on their turn to your drivers, the equalizers will not work for the sound output of your sound drivers. If you need to equalize the sound of the drivers, you need to look for an equalizer in your driver software itself. If it isn't present, you're out of luck.

Also, I don't see how it is a "common" problem. I never seen a laptop which has too silent sound output. A laptop isn't a discobar, but the sound is quite often more than loud enough. If you're laptop sound is really silent I would check if the speakers aren't busted, or if you really have the correct drivers and really have set up the volumes of all the individual components correctly, or if the sounds you're playing are recorded properly and with a normal volume, instead of trying to totally distort the sound in order to hear 'something'.

The laptop model (Lenovo ThinkPad T61) should be able to play sounds with a decent volume (so this is not a problem of your speakers not being able to play loud enough, it is a problem of what you are playing or how you've set up the drivers, an equalizer is not going to fix that).

This post was edited on 07-30-2007 at 06:14 AM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
07-30-2007 06:06 AM
ZrednaZ

37 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Laptop sound amplification?
The driver doesn't have an equalizer of its own.

>I don't see how it is a "common" problem

Well, it is, whether it be due to the software or a limitation of the speakers. Of the five different laptop models I've tried turning up to max volume, two of them were quiet (one of them being the Lenovo T61, the other being some sort of Acer Ferrari). I don't know about the Acer, but in my case it's a software limitation, making the problem theoretically solvable. The speakers are not busted; as I said, they play loudly if the source is loud.

>The laptop model (Lenovo ThinkPad T61) should be able to play sounds with a decent volume (so this is not a problem of your speakers not being able to play loud enough, it is a problem of what you are playing or how you've set up the drivers, an equalizer is not going to fix that).

No it ain't, it's a problem with the (preinstalled and correct) driver and not the way I've configured it. I'm not the only Lenovo T61 owner with this problem. Reviews confirming that the speakers are quiet:
http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=...eview=ThinkPad+T61 (search for 'quiet')
http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=123374 (search for 'quiet')
http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-IBM-Lenovo-Th...tebook.3972.0.html (search for 'Speakers'. "During DVD playback the maximum volume was just sufficient")
Come to think of it, the audio on this system also tends to glitch a few times a minute, so the driver sucks in several ways.. :P

For any other T61 users who happen to read this: Apparently the only known workaround for this is to use playback applications that have an option to turn up the volume. For WAV/MP3, Winamp is a good bet. For DVD/AVI, PowerDVD can be used as it has a 'laptop option' that boosts audio by 25%.

This post was edited on 08-02-2007 at 08:57 PM by ZrednaZ.
No, I didn't search before
posting. Don't bother asking.
08-02-2007 08:51 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Pages: (3): « First « 1 2 [ 3 ] Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: